Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

We should bring Tom Brown home soon. Out of contract end of 2025

I like tom and he looks ok but hbfs arent a need for us really. If we are trading top end mids plus a backup ruck and a kpf need to be the focus.

We should bring Tom Brown home soon. Out of contract end of 2025

He looks comfortable with ball in hand but is very suspect defensively and struggles on transition. Not really a need either cause if everything goes right with him he becomes a Zach Guthrie type. Given the dearth of young talent at Richmond I can't imagine them giving him up for a second rounder which is all I'd offer.

CATS OPEN TALKS ON FREE AGENT DEFENDER​

GEELONG has opened discussions on a fresh deal for premiership player Jack Henry, who is one of the few established key defenders on the free agency market this season.

The Cats will try to lock away two key pieces of their backline in the coming months in Henry and fellow free agent Jake Kolodjashnij, having already tied speedster Max Holmes to a four-year extension on Tuesday.

The club has been keen to tie Henry to a new deal following another impressive start to his year, with the 124-game player and 2022 premiership defender bound to attract significant rival interest as the campaign progresses.

However, speaking on AFL.com.au's trade and draft show Gettable this week, Henry's manager Tom McConville from Mac's Sports revealed that talks over a new deal for the 25-year-old were heading in the right direction.

"Talks are ongoing there and it looks pretty positive," McConville said.

"Jack obviously loves Geelong and Geelong rates Jack pretty highly as well in their system. Talks are ongoing, but it's moving in the right direction.

"Yeah, I'd say so (he's likely to stay) at this point. We're just finalising a few finishing pieces, but it should be good." – Riley Beveridge

Some handy reference info from the Hun today:

PLAYERS SIGNED UP BY GEELONG SINCE DECEMBER

• Tom Stewart - until end of 2027
  • Jhye Clark - 2026
  • Oisin Mullin - 2025
  • Zach Guthrie - 2025
  • Mark O’Connor - 2026
  • Max Holmes - 2028
CATS REMAINING OUT OF CONTRACT

• Rhys Stanley - Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA)
  • Zach Tuohy - UFA
  • Brandan Parfitt - UFA
  • Jake Kolodjashnij - UFA
  • Tyson Stengle - UFA
  • Phoenix Foster
  • James Willis
  • Mitch Duncan - UFA
  • Gary Rohan
  • Jed Bews - UFA
  • Tom Hawkins - UFA
  • Oscar Murdoch
  • Patrick Dangerfield - Restricted Free Agent (RFA)
  • Jack Henry - UFA
  • Ted Clohesy
  • Mitch Hardie
  • Emerson Jeka - UFA
STATUS OF OTHER CATS OVER 30

• Jeremy Cameron - contracted until 2025
  • Cam Guthrie - 2025
  • Mark Blicavs - 2025
  • Tom Stewart - 2027

Some handy reference info from the Hun today:
From the out of contract list the ones we really should be signing asap are

Stengle
Henrey
Kolo
Parfitt

The rest are ready to retire/nice to have or maybes

I do like the way Ted and Hardie go about it so would like them signed asap as well

I like tom and he looks ok but hbfs arent a need for us really. If we are trading top end mids plus a backup ruck and a kpf need to be the focus.
Backup ruck can be picked up for the last pick in the draft no issues.

The war chest really has to be for a KPF, because they are so, so, so hard to find.

Although we still have a few players uncontracted there appears to be only two possible concerns with one being being Tyson Stengle and the other Brandan Parfitt which hopefully won't be issues anyway but I stand to be corrected!

THANKS catempire ⬇️

• Jhye Clark - 2026
  • Oisin Mullin - 2025
  • Zach Guthrie - 2025
  • Mark O’Connor - 2026
  • Max Holmes - 2028

• Rhys Stanley - Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA) No concern - one year or retire
  • Zach Tuohy - UFA No concern - retire as one year unlikely
  • Brandan Parfitt - UFA Concern NOT SURE ??? If retains form A MUST SIGN
  • Jake Kolodjashnij - UFA No concern - will sign with years only query
  • Tyson Stengle - UFA Concern NOT SURE ??? A MUST SIGN
  • Phoenix Foster - No concern - VFL form for remainder of year will determine outcome
  • James Willis - No concern - VFL form for remainder of year will determine outcome
  • Mitch Duncan - UFA - No concern - will sign with year/s only query or unlikely retire?
  • Gary Rohan - No concern - will sign one year or retire
  • Jed Bews - UFA - No concern - move onto another club or retire as one year unlikely
  • Tom Hawkins - UFA No concern - one year or retire
  • Oscar Murdoch - No concern - VFL form for remainder of year will determine outcome
  • Patrick Dangerfield - Restricted Free Agent (RFA) No concern - one or two year only query
  • Jack Henry - UFA No concern - how many years only query
  • Ted Clohesy - No concern - VFL form for remainder of year will determine outcome
  • Mitch Hardie - No concern - VFL form & a possible AFL game or two will determine how long but will stay I think
  • Emerson Jeka - UFA - No concern - VFL form remainder of year will determine outcome, although seems to being doing OK

• Cam Guthrie - 2025
  • Mark Blicavs - 2025
  • Tom Stewart - 2027

Last edited:
Although we still have a few players uncontracted there appears to be only two concerns with one being being Tyson Stengle and the other Brandan Parfitt which hopefully won't be issues anyway but I stand to be corrected!

THANKS catempire ⬇️

• Jhye Clark - 2026
  • Oisin Mullin - 2025
  • Zach Guthrie - 2025
  • Mark O’Connor - 2026
  • Max Holmes - 2028

• Zach Tuohy - UFA No concern - one year or retire
  • Phoenix Foster - No concern - VFL form for remainder of year will determine outcome
  • James Willis - No concern - VFL form for remainder of year will determine outcome
  • Mitch Duncan - UFA - No concern - will sign with year/s only query or unlikely retire?
  • Jed Bews - UFA - No concern - move onto another club or one year or retire
  • Oscar Murdoch - No concern - VFL form for remainder of year will determine outcome
  • Patrick Dangerfield - Restricted Free Agent (RFA) No concern - one or two year only query
  • Ted Clohesy - No concern - VFL form for remainder of year will determine outcome
  • Mitch Hardie - No concern - VFL form and a possible AFL game or two will determine how long but will stay
  • Emerson Jeka - UFA - No concern - VFL form for remainder of year will determine outcome, although seems to being doing ok

• Cam Guthrie - 2025
  • Mark Blicavs - 2025
  • Tom Stewart - 2027
Agree with most of these

Although Tuohy i would be tapping on the shoulder if he wanted to go again same with Bews so those would really be retire or find another club.
It would be nice to keep Rohan for depth but would he like being told he will most likely be a VFL and backup

Agree with most of these

Although Tuohy i would be tapping on the shoulder if he wanted to go again same with Bews so those would really be retire or find another club.
It would be nice to keep Rohan for depth but would he like being told he will most likely be a VFL and backup

Agree with you both assessments Gunf: and have corrected accordingly so thanks for input 👍

Touhy's lucky to be getting game even present let alone next year as he's been down on form this year but Chris Scott seems to be have a soft spot for the Irish given perhaps the huge sacrifices they have to make to come to OZ. But we do look after the Irish really well so that also can translate into any future Irishman or woman possibly wanting to come to Catland rather than other AFL clubs. As far as Bewsy is concerned I just put in a possible one year because he's been such a loyal servant, a premiership player and his dad is a former Geelong captain and legend of club but in essence what you say is right about Bewsy too.

Although we still have a few players uncontracted there appears to be only two possible concerns with one being being Tyson Stengle and the other Brandan Parfitt which hopefully won't be issues anyway but I stand to be corrected!

THANKS catempire ⬇️

• Jhye Clark - 2026
  • Oisin Mullin - 2025
  • Zach Guthrie - 2025
  • Mark O’Connor - 2026
  • Max Holmes - 2028

• Zach Tuohy - UFA No concern - one year or retire
  • Jed Bews - UFA - No concern - move onto another club or one year or retire
  • Mitch Hardie - No concern - VFL form & a possible AFL game or two will determine how long but will stay I think
  • Emerson Jeka - UFA - No concern - VFL form remainder of year will determine outcome, although seems to being doing OK

• Cam Guthrie - 2025
  • Mark Blicavs - 2025
  • Tom Stewart - 2027

This is how I see the priority:

1714006193380.png

Just looking back through a few drafts, wowee Hawthorn got this one horribly wrong. Very sad.

View attachment 1970184
Geelong and even Coll laughing real hard at the Hawks over that 3 way trade.

Coll got a piece that helped get a flag and a decent pick Geelong got a 10+ year 40goal a year forward and Hawks got s**t s**t and more s**t (no idea if the Hawks picks ended up being used and if so on anyone good)

Geelong and even Coll laughing real hard at the Hawks over that 3 way trade.

Coll got a piece that helped get a flag and a decent pick Geelong got a 10+ year 40goal a year forward and Hawks got s**t s**t and more s**t (no idea if the Hawks picks ended up being used and if so on anyone good)

Hawks packaged 41 & 50 in a live trade with Brisbane to draft Henry Hustwaite. Not a bad outcome.

In that case i change my mind to they got s**t and a possible good player
I think it was as much about giving Newcombe & Day free reign over the midfield and cutting salary of Tom Mitchell in the meantime. They realistically just didn't have a place for him anymore.

Wonder what Stengle's price would be... on open market could be quite high. I suspect Cats would offer around 600-650k for 3? or is that too low

Wonder what Stengle's price would be... on open market could be quite high. I suspect Cats would offer around 600-650k for 3? or is that too low
I’d like to lock him up for 4 years at that price but someone like Carlton or Essendon may offer more?

Maybe even Richmond if they feel he can help them bounce back quicker?

600k for arguably the best small forward in the league seems like a low ball to me but I don’t know
Tbh, I have no idea when it comes to flankers and pocket players... the big money usually goes to Key Forwards and Mids.

I mean I don't even know what the average pay is, nor the Cap is for the club these days...

I’d like to lock him up for 4 years at that price but someone like Carlton or Essendon may offer more?

Maybe even Richmond if they feel he can help them bounce back quicker?
Does Carlton have the Cap? I wouldn't have thought so.

I feel he will stay at the Cats tbh, small city vibes is probably better for him. He might get himself back into trouble back in the big smoke.

I rate Stengle so highly. He is just class. I hope we could sign for 650k. Other clubs have got it wrong if they aren't offering decent coin. What's Rankine meant to be on?

I reckon he’d take less for longer .. so 600 for 4 years..
the security after losing his way I think would to a long way.

Go Catters

Back