Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

The team should top up to service our greatest need. They will be aggressive in the market to top up as our team is well poised for another tilt.

The order of the positions we need to fill are:

KEY FORWARD
Age appears to be catching up with Hawkins. He appears to be slow, uncertain and fumbly and gives away 50's. Having said that he does ruck well in the forward line because of his bulk and skill. Great servant of the club but I fear the end is near.
Cameron roams all over the ground and does not play a key position as such.
Neale looks like he can fill that role, but can not be expected to carry the load at this stage of his development. Rohan or Neale or both MUST come into the side.
We need another more experienced forward player who can take a pack mark.
**Someone like a Jamara Ugle-Hagan should be our number one target if he is available. Pay the
Just looking at our needs in the medium term.

If you minus all the over 30's and then exclude players that are yet to play in the first team then we'd have the following team:

FB: Mullins SDK Kolo
HB: Zuthrie Henry Holmes
C: O'Connor Bruhn Dempsey
HF: Miers Neale Mannagh
FF: Stengle O.Henry Close
R: Cohan Atkins Bowes
I/C: Clark Parfitt Knevitt O'Sullivan

That team is pretty well-balanced without a glaring deficiency but definitely a quality KPF that instantly replaces Hawkins would be handy. Ugly-Hagan, though different to Hawkins, would fill the need. A tough get though and we Neale who looks worth a shot. Could be better just to draft a KPF and use Neale

We actually have a good solid base 22 players and I’m sure one or two on the list that haven’t played yet can strengthen that. It is however maybe needing a few stars to fill the eventual void left by Danger, Stewart, and Jez. We’ve got 2 maybe 3 years to replace most of them but Danger maybe as soon as this off-season. Others like Touhy, Duncan, Rohan, and a lesser extent Hawkins I feel we already have replacement options.

Last edited:
Kid we should look at as a key forward, Harry Armstrong. Plays for Haileybury. Just watched the first half of them pantsing Caulfield and he’s very impressive. Not talked about currently as a high pick but has loads of ability. Had most of last year off footy with an infection.

Having a look for info... He plays for the Dragon? 193cm? What type of player is he?

Who did Demp play for? We do look at the school footy a bit ...but I fyou think he is the undiscovered nugget, then hopefully someone give Mackie the quiet word on him..to give him a hard look. Soon we will not have much in the VFL to develop.

People concerned over how we replace Hawkins and King for a kpf but I see that as overcapitalising on forwards.

Have a look at the kids getting smashed in the middle. In a choice between adding an elite mid or an elite forward I'm backing in Cameron/Henry.

Hawkins is a massive loss but our forward line is so much better than the next best forward line already that the discussion about who's second is irrelevant.

Meanwhile if we don't improve clearances and find space at stoppage we're going to have to score everything with intercepts and back half score launches

Having a look for info... He plays for the Dragon? 193cm? What type of player is he?

Who did Demp play for? We do look at the school footy a bit ...but I fyou think he is the undiscovered nugget, then hopefully someone give Mackie the quiet word on him..to give him a hard look. Soon we will not have much in the VFL to develop.

Mobile key forward is probably the best way of describing him. Good contested mark. Lovely left footer. Not a big build at this stage. More athletic in shape.

Dempsey was at Carey. Went back to footy after a doing well in basketball.

The team should top up to service our greatest need. They will be aggressive in the market to top up as our team is well poised for another tilt.

The order of the positions we need to fill are:

KEY FORWARD
Age appears to be catching up with Hawkins. He appears to be slow, uncertain and fumbly and gives away 50's. Having said that he does ruck well in the forward line because of his bulk and skill. Great servant of the club but I fear the end is near.
Cameron roams all over the ground and does not play a key position as such.
Neale looks like he can fill that role, but can not be expected to carry the load at this stage of his development. Rohan or Neale or both MUST come into the side.
We need another more experienced forward player who can take a pack mark.
**Someone like a Jamara Ugle-Hagan should be our number one target if he is available. Pay the man.
I’d be ok with having a crack at JUH.

But with Conway coming on I’d be happy with Neale & Blitz forward and able to chop out. COS is another I can see playing that HHF role. Henry plays tall. See a gun mid as more of a need.

Why does everyone think Stengles going to leave all of a sudden ?
I'd guess he's on not much of a wage, his output clearly exceeds it, any club can lure him with $ for nil outlay and he's in a position to set up his life from his next contract
I'm extremely worried he might leave and if I was Carlton I'd be all over him

I'd guess he's on not much of a wage, his output clearly exceeds it, any club can lure him with $ for nil outlay and he's in a position to set up his life from his next contract
I'm extremely worried he might leave and if I was Carlton I'd be all over him

But we have the same salary cap as them and I wouldn't imagine we're paying as much for our top players. Hawkins wouldn't be on close to the same as McKay or Curnow, even if we are paying Cameron top dollar (probably no more than Curnow).

I think Stengle's worth a fair bit, but there's no reason we can't accommodate that without blowing our budget.

But we have the same salary cap as them and I wouldn't imagine we're paying as much for our top players. Hawkins wouldn't be on close to the same as McKay or Curnow, even if we are paying Cameron top dollar (probably no more than Curnow).

I think Stengle's worth a fair bit, but there's no reason we can't accommodate that without blowing our budget.
Yeah but if someone comes in for extra 100k and maybe an extra year he'd have to consider it since he's coming from a long way back financially

Yeah but if someone comes in for extra 100k and maybe an extra year he'd have to consider it since he's coming from a long way back financially

Maybe but we would have more cap room than carlton i reckon.

I reckon we'd at least get the benefit to unofficially match any offers coming from other clubs. He's a pretty simple guy but he seems pretty happy at the Cats, so don't think he'd run off without giving us the chance to do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People concerned over how we replace Hawkins and King for a kpf but I see that as overcapitalising on forwards.

Have a look at the kids getting smashed in the middle. In a choice between adding an elite mid or an elite forward I'm backing in Cameron/Henry.

Hawkins is a massive loss but our forward line is so much better than the next best forward line already that the discussion about who's second is irrelevant.

Meanwhile if we don't improve clearances and find space at stoppage we're going to have to score everything with intercepts and back half score launches

Jeremy Cameron is 31 y.o and any KPF we draft now likely won’t be ready until Cameron is retired. I agree the immediate problem is inside midfield but that isn’t necessarily next years biggest problem. In 2022 we fixed our midfield woes shifting Blicavs and Atkins to inside midfield roles. Maybe we could do similar with Stewart and or Holmes.

Cameron and Henry are not enough. Cameron does not play the traditional key forward position. If Neale could play key forward and help in the ruck that would at the very least help. But we need an additional key forward soon more than an additional midfielder. Imagine our team with Jamara!

Our existing midfielders have scope for improvement. We have players like Bruhn, Atkins, Bowes, Clark, Mannagh Parfitt, Stevens, Hardie coming through. At least we have some to put on the park.

It comes down to what we will need the most next year and where the improvement comes from this year..

Last edited:
Mobile key forward is probably the best way of describing him. Good contested mark. Lovely left footer. Not a big build at this stage. More athletic in shape.

Dempsey was at Carey. Went back to footy after a doing well in basketball.

Probably gets down to being good..but not too good. Being mobile but not too mobile ... etc. cause the way its going ..I suspect we trade our R1 for a gun mid type . Danger-ish ..if we can find that type of player. Is that Smith?

Sounds interesting will have to keep an eyes out for him.

He isn't the CIA... I don't think. Like Rooke, someone has to get the message out, especially for players who don't follow the ordinary path

LOL. Not suggesting that he has the schools bugged. Just that we have contacts that pass on info especially when its a name that is within the CTL as well. Id say someone like Demp was probably less known ..as doing a quick search ... the kids name is probably on the list for Vic Metro.

Cameron and Henry are not enough. Cameron does not play the traditional key forward position. If Neale could play key forward and help in the ruck that would at the very least help. But we need an additional key forward soon more than an additional midfielder. Imagine our team with Jamara!

Our existing midfielders have scope for improvement. We have players like Bruhn, Atkins, Bowes, Clark, Mannagh Parfitt, Stevens, Hardie coming through. At least we have some to put on the park.

It comes down to what we will need the most next year and where the improvement comes from this year..
Our team with Jamarra right now would look almost exactly the same as it already does.

Our team with LDU, or even Smith/Perkins/McCluggage and we're winning this thing by the length of flemington.

Think you're underselling Neale and overrating some of those guys you've listed for mine.

I'm infinitely more confident of a good AFL career out of Neale than I am Hardie, Mannagh, & Stevens.

Reckon he'll be a much better key forward than Parfitt is as a midfielder too.

Jeremy Cameron is 31 y.o and any KPF we draft now likely won’t be ready until Cameron is retired. I agree the immediate problem is inside midfield but that isn’t necessarily next years biggest problem. In 2022 we fixed our midfield woes shifting Blicavs and Atkins to inside midfield roles. Maybe we could do similar with Stewart and or Holmes.
Yeah it's way too late to be drafting to replace Cameron. We have to trade for a KPF. I just don't think it's our biggest issue and won't be until Cameron falls off a cliff and so we'd have the trade priorities in the wrong order. I would say this even with Holmes moving into the middle and Stewart at 31 I can't see coming in.

If JUH was available sign me up but I can't see that happening. Who else is there? Petty?

I like all our young mids but outside Holmes none have any real explosiveness.

If we're not bringing in a mid then Holmes better start showing a few more Judd like traits

Our team with Jamarra right now would look almost exactly the same as it already does.

Our team with LDU, or even Smith/Perkins/McCluggage and we're winning this thing by the length of flemington.

Think you're underselling Neale and overrating some of those guys you've listed for mine.

I'm infinitely more confident of a good AFL career out of Neale than I am Hardie, Mannagh, & Stevens.

Reckon he'll be a much better key forward than Parfitt is as a midfielder too.

Yeah this is pretty much what I'm getting at with the young mids we have coming through. They're mostly very defensive, and we need to add an offensive weapon or two.

See how much the game changed for us against the blues when Dangerfield went into the ball ups. Amazing until he pinged him hammy. Don't care if it's Smith or Perkins even, but we need the type of player in there oppo has to think about so that they don't think about the Bruhns, Clarks, and Parfitts.

If JUH was available sign me up but I can't see that happening. Who else is there? Petty?

I like all our young mids but outside Holmes none have any real explosiveness.

If we're not bringing in a mid then Holmes better start showing a few more Judd like traits
Darcy Wilson went at Pick 18. He would've been a great pick up if we went into deficit.

I wouldn't bother with Petty. You have to back Neale for now. We still don't know if COS can be tried there, as he might be able to fill that spot also. I suspect they will develop COS as a Key Defender and Mid.

Don't also write-off Knevitt as a marking resting forward @ 193cm and long limbs, he does know how to mark overhead at the pointy end. We are mostly playing him as a mid atm, until he builds a tank. I don't think he is a natural forward, but he could be sent down there from time to time and could be another aerial threat.

Darcy Wilson went at Pick 18. He would've been a great pick up if we went into deficit.

I wouldn't bother with Petty. You have to back Neale for now. We still don't know if COS can be tried there, as he might be able to fill that spot also. I suspect they will develop COS as a Key Defender and Mid.

Don't also write-off Knevitt as a marking resting forward @ 193cm and long limbs, he does know how to mark overhead at the pointy end. We are mostly playing him as a mid atm, until he builds a tank. I don't think he is a natural forward, but he could be sent down there from time to time and could be another aerial threat.
Knevitt is a top 5 runner at the club.

Him building in the VFL has got nothing to do with endurance, it's all about putting on size.

I didn't expect us to be 7-0 tbh. Thought middle of the pack at this stage. Do we have a mid season pick and if so would be good to go after someone previously in the system, ready to go. To top us off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back