Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched a fair bit of Caulf GS v Geel Gr which featured our NGA Rongit. Did a few nice things but I think he’d be only considered on that showing as a rookie as best.

Kid for CGS, Algar was quite impressive playing as a mid sized deep forward.

He still has a bit of time ..2025 draft

I honestly don't know anything about Liam Reidy.. just checked his 24 in June.
If he could fill in a spot next year if Conway could play majority of the season, but if Reidy could challenge Conway and push him to stay at his spot, that is exactly what we need... which also allowed Edwards to develop in the VFL as a ruckman or a forward.
Id be happy with that..

I know little as well…but the sides with locked in rucks probably are the best chance to pick up the under utilised. So Freo with Darcy and Jackson ..probably means no other ruck gets a chance. The clip I saw on youtube doesnt excite me but who knows if he got a chance. If you are looking for a sub level player thats ready for a chance , I doubt he woudl be expensive.

Yes and no. If you sack someone and you are called as a reference I believe you are legally obliged to mention they were sacked and the basis for which they were sacked. If I was North I would feel morally obliged to prevent damage to the league.
You aren’t legally obliged to say anything.

You are only legally obliged to confirm how long they worked at the organisation and what role they filled.

You probably need ..MS Trade period. I see its mentioned on the draft board that Riedy over in Fremantle is unhappy with the lack of opportunity. I seem to remember you mentioned him before . Probably gets delisted or cheap pick upgrade at years end ….. but is he good enough. We know the type sour MC like…and the clips I have seen he reminds me of Fort. Several say he is the best tap ruck in the WAFL ..but is he althletic enough to be selected.

Reidy i do like. I dont think he will ever be A grade but he could be decent and darcy cameron was a flag ruck doing that.

Hes an example of the type of ruck an MSD would be good for-wont ever get games there when they have sunk 2mil into darcy and jackson.
If there was an MSD this year us or a similar club would trade him in for low cost.
To me the MSD is a no brainer for these types..you just limit it to guys who have played less than 5 games in that year so you arent letting top clubs take the bottom clubs best players.
but for non b22 players it should absolutely come in.

SHYTE!! That means we put a line through...
Bailey SMITH
Bugger!!
Very different scenarios.

Yeo has got chronic injuries that have seen him miss 3 out of the last 4 years, and when he has played he hasn't been fit enough because he's hardly been able to train. Injured again now.

Smith is a historically injury free player, who's had a bad moment at a training session resulting in an ACL.

No issues with groins, hamstrings or calves (like Yeo) which are the footy injuries that seemingly never go away once you've done them.

It's chalk and cheese.

Very different scenarios.

Yeo has got chronic injuries that have seen him miss 3 out of the last 4 years, and when he has played he hasn't been fit enough because he's hardly been able to train. Injured again now.

Smith is a historically injury free player, who's had a bad moment at a training session resulting in an ACL.

No issues with groins, hamstrings or calves (like Yeo) which are the footy injuries that seemingly never go away once you've done them.

It's chalk and cheese.
I should of put a hehe or LOL just to indicate some sort of sarcasm to avoid someone taking it the wrong way I guess.
Never mind.
Cheers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are taking McLure's word about how it went down but if I was TT I would be pretty pissed that North sent that out to all my potential employers in the industry. Dangerous way of going about it from a legal perspective I would have thought whatever you think about the person involved.

From what kind of legal perspective, though? Defamation would be the only risk, but there's a pretty solid truth defence backing that up. He was enrolled in four (!!!) behaviour change programs and continues to harrass women, including his ex. That's what was outlined in the email and it would stand up to legal scrutiny.

Yes and no. If you sack someone and you are called as a reference I believe you are legally obliged to mention they were sacked and the basis for which they were sacked. If I was North I would feel morally obliged to prevent damage to the league.
I don't think that's the case, I would be shocked if the rule of law somehow extended to telling the whole truth when giving reference checks. I certainly don't recall signing anything that warned me of criminal penalties for lying when being a referee for someone.

Reidy i do like. I dont think he will ever be A grade but he could be decent and darcy cameron was a flag ruck doing that.

Hes an example of the type of ruck an MSD would be good for-wont ever get games there when they have sunk 2mil into darcy and jackson.
If there was an MSD this year us or a similar club would trade him in for low cost.
To me the MSD is a no brainer for these types..you just limit it to guys who have played less than 5 games in that year so you arent letting top clubs take the bottom clubs best players.
but for non b22 players it should absolutely come in.

Only he cant be drafted…so its not really a debate for him about the MSD. If you like that Norward kid thats probably the debate…. to we retire someone or find a long term injury to create a spot for someone like him.
For me..I highly doubt he is brought in an plays at Geelong. If we are to draft someone like that ..then we must be prepared to play him the first time Conway is unavailable

Last edited:
From what kind of legal perspective, though? Defamation would be the only risk, but there's a pretty solid truth defence backing that up. He was enrolled in four (!!!) behaviour change programs and continues to harrass women, including his ex. That's what was outlined in the email and it would stand up to legal scrutiny.

Breaching privacy. TT in the wrong no doubt but what right does an employer have spamming every other employer in the industry with the private details.

Breaching privacy. TT in the wrong no doubt but what right does an employer have spamming every other employer in the industry with the private details.
I think it's important to separate what is private here, from what is not. If we were talking about a personal health matter, yes, that is private, but being enrolled in behavioural change programs because you won't stop sexually harrassing people is absolutely not a private matter.

North have, if anything, a duty of care to other women working in the AFL. If someone was sacked from their job for sexual harrassment in the Real World, you would also expect the employer to be upfront about that too.

I wonder if Dusty is on the radar. My presumption is the sleepy hollow isn't his go.

If we have salary cap and aren't able to attract anyone this off-season on a long term contract, we could try and entice him down the highway for a year or two and plonk him at full forward.
Why would you stymie Neale's development for the sakes of a guy who's never played full forward in his life and is clearly a shadow of the player he once was?

On he cant be drafted…so its not really a debate for him about the MSD. If you like that Norward kid thats probably the debate…. to we retire someone or find a long term injury to create a spot for someone like him.
For me..I highly doubt he is brought in an plays at Geelong. If we are to draft someone like that ..then we must be prepared to play him the first time Conway is unavailable

Sorry i mistyped i meant there should be a mid season trade window for guys like reidy. For eg he wont play at freo and could potentially play from round 13 onwards for us.
To me the mid season trade is just a good idea.

On boyd yes at 26 you only bring him in if hes playing straight away (although we drafted mannagh at 26 and arent playing him).
I know some people might feel boyd is too small for afl level but i rate him-his performance curve the last 2 years has been great and we like rucks that get involved around the ground-he is that.

Sorry i mistyped i meant there should be a mid season trade window for guys like reidy. For eg he wont play at freo and could potentially play from round 13 onwards for us.
To me the mid season trade is just a good idea.

On boyd yes at 26 you only bring him in if hes playing straight away (although we drafted mannagh at 26 and arent playing him).
I know some people might feel boyd is too small for afl level but i rate him-his performance curve the last 2 years has been great and we like rucks that get involved around the ground-he is that.

The MS Trade period looks unlikely as the non Vic clubs see it as a tactical disadvantage. I just wonder if a dollar amount woudl encourage any player to move anywhere. Your example is a good one … Rucks seem to be most lightly held on list and therefore the most likely to fall into injury trouble. I could imagine a player like Reidy being OOC at years end and being a DFA…yetin the middle of the year ..maybe Freo get a pick from the likes of Geelong

I know zero on Boyd ..but at 198…we have a template. It can work if he is capable… whats his 20M sprint like? Whats his 2K time like? Whats the GPS data say he runs thru a game. Whats his spring like. Can he out mark tall opponents…. Without some of that data , id question his capability.

CS and Geelong seem to place a high importance on stamina …so could he run out an game to afl standard within weeks of being drafted without a preseason? Thats why I think Mannagh is a slightly different case.. as he had the full PS… , was selected then after two games was dropped and (from my observation) given stuff to work on. Not so self reliant and more on assist. My bet is he is back in for the NT trip. …but he was not draft mid year..and expected to play with in weeks…yet id say he probably had more chance than a ruck type from the SANFL.

Last edited:
Ok. Wasn’t aware of that.

Yes 2007 …so 2025 draft. I think this profile is old and he has grown a bit. As long as he is around a R2 pick id be happy… as we know..any kid thats a standout we probably do get as NGA. Be interesting if gets a game for VicC as bottom age.

I wonder if Dusty is on the radar. My presumption is the sleepy hollow isn't his go.

If we have salary cap and aren't able to attract anyone this off-season on a long term contract, we could try and entice him down the highway for a year or two and plonk him at full forward.

I cant see him going anywhere bar the chance to play under his old coach. The one thing that may appeal to GC is his big game experience… they have fallen over when under the spotlight too often. For him..playing in a winning group again and chance to help them win their first might be a prefer as a way to finish his career .

I think Geelong have invested a bit of time in Neale. Its almost time to see if that time has been wasted. Id not be surprised if we look at alternatives if he cant..but the game this year when he kicked three was at least positive.

Question..... Than Thoughts...
Next year, 2025 Neale will be most likely playing along with Jeremy Cameron..

We hopefully also will recruit a young kid key forward also to develop and do there apprenticeship in the VFL ...
Should we look at recruiting the following player as a back up , pending injury and rotations, He is a UFA also , so won't cost us anything

Matty Taberner.....

He is behind the pecking order at Fremantle..

Thoughts?

Question..... Than Thoughts...
Next year, 2025 Neale will be most likely playing along with Jeremy Cameron..

We hopefully also will recruit a young kid key forward also to develop and do there apprenticeship in the VFL ...
Should we look at recruiting the following player as a back up , pending injury and rotations, He is a UFA also , so won't cost us anything

Matty Taberner.....

He is behind the pecking order at Fremantle..

Thoughts?
I have posted this is the past
Taberners stats are putrid
I had that pointed out to me and changed my tune really quick

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back