Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I agree, so for mine it doesn't make sense to go and get a primary first ruck to play ahead of Conway next year. It's a shame we haven't seen any of Mitch Edwards. I think Conway needs support but I also think he will become our primary ruck so doesn't make sense getting someone that's going to play ahead of him.

We chose the way our list looks … it will be interesting which way we go.. cause all player hit a wall sooner or later. Did Stanley go one year too long ?

Weitering is arguably the best key defender in the game. Right there with May and Taylor, and not old.

Lugg and LDU are still a bit behind that. And Saints aren't afraid of silly offers.
I think if we look back the introduction of GC and GWS had an inflationary effect. Now however we have FA that is available to all the clubs across the league. Add to that the increase of the SalCap by something like 30% … and any player that is a FA ..is looking at some serious big offers. Especially from clubs that need to sway plays but do not have traditional player magnetism. In the end I dont think it will be just the Sainst that are throwing around the numbers.

Interesting discussion on Zurhar from the Champion Stats guy Hoyne. 16.0 minute to 18.30 minute

Basically … when he has played midfield his stats are much better than the average mid ..but as a forward he is down.

Can you change him to a player who is 65 to 70% midfield… or does he lack the dedication?

Imo , it always a big gamble for someone to recruit someone hoping they change from they have shown you they are… yet have a look at someone like Ben McKay at Ess. Its amazing how much better he looks in a winning team.

Probably looks good in a Ess or StK jumper.

Clearly we have deficiencies in both our ruck and midfield stocks. We knew that in February before the season started. If anyone thought that we’d be 7-2 pre season then they were either eternal optimists or liars.

Conway will be a player but just needs time. But he’s our man long term in the ruck.

We are a team in transition that is doing exceptionally well to be as competitive as we are. Hawkins is just about done as in Duncan meaning every player from our 2011 flag side is either retired or no longer having much impact for us.

If we are to make finals this year which looks likely given where we are and our draw id say that’s a decent result. We need to continue to add to our midfield stocks and importantly find an elite key forward.

Bailey Smith I think is a good choice to add to our midfield assuming his knee is fine. He’s the type we need particularly post Dangerfield who I wouldn’t be shocked to see retire at years end.

We have a very useful core of young talent to build on. Add a few more chess pieces and we should maintain our competitiveness for a while longer.

Far better to be in our position than the Hawks or Tigers I think who have also e noted recent success.

Much appreciated Turbo

No Prob.

Odds are that we have to find the unpolished rough diamond as I dont see us being able to get to a cream KPF. Then again this year ..maybe that all there is … guys that are a but unpolished.

Have to say I look forward to seeing the kid Nicholls . Sounds like a someone worth developing..

25 Charlie Nicholls (Central District)
Key Forward/Defender | 197cm | 08/06/2006

Nicholls has emerged as a serious key forward prospect and plays the classic centre half-forward role incredibly well. He got on his bike with some fruitful advances up the ground, marking uncontested past the halfway mark and helping South Australia connect between the arcs. He was a threat in those areas before being swung to defence where his aerial ability continued to be useful, taking a couple of intercept marks and faring relatively well one-on-one.

Disagree. There is no defending how poor our midfielders are. It's absolutely dire.
It’s diabolical, and a bigger problem than Stanley without doubt. But in terms of defending of it is we just haven’t had access to the draft picks necessary to replenish that area of the ground. I will say we have done mightily well to get Holmes, Bruhn and Bowes to start the rebuild though. We could desperately do with a 25-26 year old gun though.

It’s diabolical, and a bigger problem than Stanley without doubt. But in terms of defending of it is we just haven’t had access to the draft picks necessary to replenish that area of the ground. I will say we have done mightily well to get Holmes, Bruhn and Bowes to start the rebuild though. We could desperately do with a 25-26 year old gun though.

We're suffering from Nakia Cockatoo's body not standing up to AFL, Tim Kelly heading back to WA and having our reach for a classy moving mid be on Darcy Lang rather than Zach Merrett.

Cameron is probably where Stanley was in 2022 - not a great ruckman, but fits their system well and isn't a huge drain on the cap.

FWIW, someone claiming to be a family friend of Stanley did recently jump on Facey and said that Rhys was ready to retire, but was convinced to stay on by the Geelong hierarchy who were concerned about Conway's physical readiness to see out the year.

I got the same mail last year but tbh i think geelong pulled the wrong rein-they should have let rhys retire and traded in another ruck to help conway.

We're suffering from Nakia Cockatoo's body not standing up to AFL, Tim Kelly heading back to WA and having our reach for a classy moving mid be on Darcy Lang rather than Zach Merrett.

Those are issues but the one we are really suffering from (and have for over a decade) is thurlow over grundy.

The dumbest thing the AFL has dictated like a dictator is removing the "weight" of male players. Just unbelievable. I want to know how heavy Sims is. I also wanted to know what Zuthrie was weighing these days, as he is having a great year. I might complain to AFL. I mean, they give so much data now, and they takeaway relevant key data lol.
This is from a couple of months ago. They don't say heavy but they certainly give you the imprerssion he is not a lightweight.

THE FORWARD/RUCKMAN WITH BRIGGS-LIKE QUALITIES WHO STARRED FOR THE KNIGHTS​

There is a promising ruckman/forward at the Northern Knights who starred in Round 1 of the Coates Talent League.

Thomas Sims started the 2024 season in fine fashion with a bag of five goals in his side’s 43-point victory over the Western Jets at Trevor Barker Oval last Saturday.

Player manager James Pitcher, from Bravo Talent Management, was taken by what the 199cm Sims produced with his handful of goals, 14 disposals, nine hit-outs, seven marks and three tackles.

“There were some good performances, in particular Thomas Sims who kicked five,” Pitcher said on SEN’s Future Stars.

“He’s a physical ruck/key forward who also had 14 touches. He really impressed me as someone who is probably not one who is in the Metro squads or national academies.

“But he has really come out and announced himself in Round 1.”

While Sims does spend a bit more time inside attacking 50 than a regular ruckman, he does remind Pitcher of a young Kieren Briggs.

The GWS big man has been an intimidating force in the AFL since coming of age with the Giants during the 2023 campaign and there are specks of his game in Sims.

“This guy took a while to come on from an AFL sense, but he (Sims) is Kieren Briggs,” Pitcher added.

“So Briggs as a junior would intimidate those around him, put the fear of God through them a bit like the ‘Mummy’ (Shane Mumford) used to do.

“Thomas was doing that. He made sure that his presence was felt.

“He really covers the ground well and is versatile in that he can play ruck, push forward, take a mark and put it through.”

According to Pitcher, the Montmorency product was the most impressive player across the Victorian underage competition on opening weekend.

“I was really impressed by Sims,” he said further.

“When the game was on the line he really intimidated the opposition, he spread the game well, he was great up forward, a great pair of hands and he kicked it well.

“From what I saw, he was the player of the weekend.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It' is a resourcing problem. One we could ignore because of Dangerfield. Last time I looked into it, the most expensive in terms of draft capital for an average minute by position was an inside midfielder. Since 2016 we've been min maxing the hell out of our list. We've tried to bring in that mature "blue chip" inside mid for the last few seasons, we keep getting turned down. I suspect it is because we're still in min max mode. I don't think we've missed out on anyone that would have actually made a noticeable difference. There is blue chip and then there is the Dangerfields. One can be made up in the aggregate the other can't be.

Two misses and a Jeremy Cameron trade in aren't the worst mistakes

I’m sure Mackie & Wells have some ripper plans already in action. I’ve seen that we tried for Elliot Yeo, I know he’s quite injury prone but if he can get his body right would be a great fit for our midfield. Just a matter of how much to pull him away from WA.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m sure Mackie & Wells have some ripper plans already in action. I’ve seen that we tried for Elliot Yeo, I know he’s quite injury prone but if he can get his body right would be a great fit for our midfield. Just a matter of how much to pull him away from WA.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeo & his partner have just announced they're expecting their first child - not sure they'll necessarily be looking to pack up & move across the country for maybe a couple of years of football with a newborn

Surely Bailey smiths currency has gone down a bit given the ACL?? Tragic news, but there may be a silver lining when it comes to dealing on the trade table given how difficult they were probably going to get over it
I hope we get him.... But most people are saying it's either down to Collingwood or Hawthorn

Given the lifestyle Grundy enjoys, it sounds like geelong would have been a terrible fit for him.

I don’t think he would have asked to “go home” after just a year or two, but I could see it where Grundy didn’t stick around long term anyway and instead wanted a change of scenery such as a more hipster location like Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back