Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

When do start giving Conway more games though? I get he's still young but if the argument is he is a weak option because he has only played 4 games, if you bring someone else in to surpass him then he will remain a weak option.
I would like support for Conway so we don't burn the kid out but I think he can be a high quality ruck, he just needs some experience.
Im all for giving him games and am not knocking the talent, I just think there are still a lot of hurdles to overcome. If I was a VFL ruckman trying to break into the AFL I’d rather go up against him than someone more established.

It’s diabolical, and a bigger problem than Stanley without doubt. But in terms of defending of it is we just haven’t had access to the draft picks necessary to replenish that area of the ground. I will say we have done mightily well to get Holmes, Bruhn and Bowes to start the rebuild though. We could desperately do with a 25-26 year old gun though.
Why I’ve been pushing LDU… works inside.. established.. and fits age demo and is RFA… so cash only in theory needed to obtain him.

Not perfect but best available and will draw oppo 2nd best mid.

Go Catters

Why I’ve been pushing LDU… works inside.. established.. and fits age demo and is RFA… so cash only in theory needed to obtain him.

Not perfect but best available and will draw oppo 2nd best mid.

Go Catters

There will be hot comp for him. Not only the likes of StKilda who are prepared to offer a truckload of cash, Ess form will only encourage other FA’s to take them seriously andas the other two North players have shown , there is the Brad Scott link. Then there is the Pies. One would think if North as at the bottom , they have the hard choice of letting him go for a similar pick that they gained for McKay or match and get more picks but not as early as a P3 or thereabouts.

Have a dip at him with a competitive offer for sure.

No defender is worth that contract
My comment was in reference to Turbo asking if LDU and Luggage are worth the same as Weitering. I don't think they are. Pop him in any of the other top 8 teams and it strengthens their premiership credentials significantly. Same as Andrews. They are anchors and intercepting machines, while still being strong 1v1.

Im all for giving him games and am not knocking the talent, I just think there are still a lot of hurdles to overcome. If I was a VFL ruckman trying to break into the AFL I’d rather go up against him than someone more established.
Managing the ruck scenario is very hard for clubs. It mostly seems to work only have 1 primary ruck which then puts you at risk if they get injured. Ideally you have two options as backup but noone wants to be 2nd choice.

I'm not confident Conway can cope with a full season yet so ideally you have backup. I kind of hoped he would be a primary ruck this year and Stanley stayed on to support. If we could get a good VFL level ruck that's happy being on the list and can come in if Conway breaks down...

I've heard the club are quite excited about Edwards. I'd hate someone to get in the way of his development if we brought them in...I dunno, makes managing list spots for Ruckman such a gamble. Too many interferes with development and opportunity, not enough and you're pretty quickly up shit creek.

I've heard the club are quite excited about Edwards. I'd hate someone to get in the way of his development if we brought them in...I dunno, makes managing list spots for Ruckman such a gamble. Too many interferes with development and opportunity, not enough and you're pretty quickly up s**t creek.
Edwards needs to play VFL games first before we can start talking about him playing AFL level footy.
A backup for Conway for the next year or so is definitely the go, it won't hinder Conway's or Edwards' development to have someone fill the gap between them. Conway is almost ready, Edwards has a long way to go.

There will be hot comp for him. Not only the likes of StKilda who are prepared to offer a truckload of cash, Ess form will only encourage other FA’s to take them seriously andas the other two North players have shown , there is the Brad Scott link. Then there is the Pies. One would think if North as at the bottom , they have the hard choice of letting him go for a similar pick that they gained for McKay or match and get more picks but not as early as a P3 or thereabouts.

Have a dip at him with a competitive offer for sure.
Does he want wins and culture or cash.
He’ll get one but both here. And more power to him if he chooses the cash. Totally get it.
And saints can throw wads of it.

Again.. his choice. We know what he gets down this way.

Go Catters

It's been mentioned here many times before.

We/Geelong have a pay structure, and it looks like we stick pretty close to it.

It will be hard to nail any "in-demand" FAs or even trade targets unless they simply want to come to us over other clubs (e.g., are Falcons, want a country lifestyle).

Some clubs will throw big, big dollars at players, making it very hard for us to snag these types unless we either get lucky or go against our pay structure and offer somewhere near the top end.

I'd love LDU... getting him would be enormous, but I think it's a loooong shot.

Last edited:
Edwards needs to play VFL games first before we can start talking about him playing AFL level footy.
A backup for Conway for the next year or so is definitely the go, it won't hinder Conway's or Edwards' development to have someone fill the gap between them. Conway is almost ready, Edwards has a long way to go.
Yeah I didn't mean Edwards playing AFL. I was more concerned if you bring another ruck in as back up for Conway to play in the VFL, then Edwards is competing at VFL level for time in the ruck against someone else.
I can't remember who it was but we've seen it before at VFL level, might've even been Conway. Instead of playing in the ruck, they are on the bench or in the backline.
I'm not against the idea, just stating that managing rucks is uniquely challenging. We probably lost Mumford because of it.

Posing a question here:

Bailey Smith or Archie Perkins?

Gotta weigh up role, injury history, attitude, off field influence, impact on game.
Plus they are both OOC so still have to do a trade, which means dealing with Rosa or Sam Power

If you could only pick one to grab for 2025 to add to our midfield who would it be?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree guys of that size are normally a 3-5 year project before you start to see a return and the norm is probably more like 5. SDK was an outlier and came through in his 3rd year. Neale is in his 4th year and is about to play his 6th game. Conway in his 3rd year and playing his 4th game. We need to wait and see if Edwards can play a key position as well as ruck as this will give him the best chance of early games.

Posing a question here:

Gotta weigh up role, injury history, attitude, off field influence, impact on game.
Plus they are both OOC so still have to do a trade, which means dealing with Rosa or Sam Power

If you could only pick one to grab for 2025 to add to our midfield who would it be?
Good question. Don't think it will be the popular opinion but I'd go Smith.

I don't think either solve our midfield but Smith gets us closer. Having said that, I haven't watched enough of Perkins. By the end of the year my opinion might be different.

Put Smith in our team tonight and I'd be more confident than if it was Perkins.

ACL doesn't concern me too much, whilst some comment on his attitude, he is incredibly fit and will manage his body correctly. I think he could flourish in our team and system. If I was his management and family I'd be encouraging him to come to Geelong.

Yeah I didn't mean Edwards playing AFL. I was more concerned if you bring another ruck in as back up for Conway to play in the VFL, then Edwards is competing at VFL level for time in the ruck against someone else.
I can't remember who it was but we've seen it before at VFL level, might've even been Conway. Instead of playing in the ruck, they are on the bench or in the backline.
I'm not against the idea, just stating that managing rucks is uniquely challenging. We probably lost Mumford because of it.
Competing for time in the ruck will already be happening assuming Furphy stays on the list and is fit and playing games. Add another ruck and that will be three.

It's been mentioned here many times before.

We/Geelong have a pay structure, and it looks like we stick pretty close to it.

It will be hard to nail any "in-demand" FAs or even trade targets unless they simply want to come to us over other clubs (e.g., are Falcons, want a country lifestyle).

Some clubs will throw big, big dollars at players, making it very hard for us to snag these types unless we either get lucky or go against our pay structure and offer somewhere near the top end.

I'd love LDU... getting him would be enormous, but I think it's a loooong shot.

I think this pay structure has been modify a bit last few years. Use to be the captain is always the highest paid player but pretty sure jeremy cameron is our highest paid player. Maybe same as dangerfield. whos knows.

Does he want wins and culture or cash.
He’ll get one but both here. And more power to him if he chooses the cash. Totally get it.
And saints can throw wads of it.

Again.. his choice. We know what he gets down this way.

Go Catters

Every players is different. Its all assumption but i could understand after playing for North where they have rarely played in big games that he migt be attracted to Pies or Ess. I doubt that those two would offer dollars that much different to us. But if he feels like time is closing on him , and only so much time to make what he can from the game then , sure I could see him taking the GAblett offer. After all only 1 club can win a flag.. to go to a club purely focused on that is probably going to end with sad songs and soggy pretzels. Geelong could offer a lot. The best of big and small, probably more wins than he has enjoyed so far in his time at North in his first contract at Geelong. Just depends on what he would be after.

Trying to work out what each player is after is like a Russian doll situation.

Posing a question here:

The question is really which one wants us … cause its probably unlikely that both say they would like to come.

But if they did, Im more thinking that we would try to get both deals done. Reading this on AFL, it sounds like clubs want to dip further into future picks to gets deals done. If we had two players like those wanting to come … my be we use what we can to get it done.

FUTURE TRADING EXPANSION​

CLUBS are hopeful their push for more freedom trading future draft picks will be introduced this year.

The AFL has sought feedback on clubs' views on trading further into the future beyond one year, with most clubs understood to be in favour of opening up more selections to be swapped.

Currently clubs can only trade their picks for the season they are in and one year in advance, although there are caveats on that, including having to hold future second and third-round picks to be allowed to trade a future first-round pick.

But as part of the League's competitive balance review and in meetings with all 18 clubs, the AFL has been open to considering options for more future picks being able to be swapped, with clubs keen to have more chips in their hand to make deals happen.

Different proposals have been put to the AFL on future trading, including a staggered approach that would allow clubs to trade all picks for two future years and then all picks bar a first-round selection being able to be traded in the third future year.

The ability to 'pick protect' for the second and third years of future trading – meaning there can be get-out clauses if a team finishes in a certain part of the ladder – has also been discussed. – Callum Twomey

I think this pay structure has been modify a bit last few years. Use to be the captain is always the highest paid player but pretty sure jeremy cameron is our highest paid player. Maybe same as dangerfield. whos knows.
Yes, it probably has been modded a bit, and if we want to be in the race for most of these "in-demand free agents," it might need to be modded again.

I don't know how our cap is looking.

I assume there will be a good chuck available to spend very soon, and I'd rather spend it than have it sit and do nothing because we don't offer nearly enough to get in the race for good players.

I guess I'll trust the club to make the right calls here... I don't know all the workings behind the scenes.

All I know is it'll be very unlikely to land any gun players by paying under unless we get extremely lucky.

Not necessarily for us, but how much would Luke parker cost?

31yo that is playing VFL, so you would think they can't expect too much. Although this may change by the end of the year.

Surely if he is kept out of the team, he'd be looking elsewhere. Probably doesn't fit our age profile that well, but it seems someone might be able to pick up a decent midfielder for not much.

Yes, it probably has been modded a bit, and if we want to be in the race for most of these "in-demand free agents," it might need to be modded again.

I don't know how our cap is looking.

I assume there will be a good chuck available to spend very soon, and I'd rather spend it than have it sit and do nothing because we don't offer nearly enough to get in the race for good players.

I guess I'll trust the club to make the right calls here... I don't know all the workings behind the scenes.

All I know is it'll be very unlikely to land any gun players by paying under unless we get extremely lucky.
You've got a reasonable point, but we have absolutely no idea because we don't have the details and years in advance planning in front of us like the club do.

Take 2018 for instance. We had an uber disappointing season (by Geelong standards) and the talk around the club was that we needed to get better, and we weren't going to be doing it through the draft.

The likes or Tom Lynch, Jesse Hogan, Andrew Gaff, & Dylan Shiel were available, and were exactly what we needed.

It's easy to say no in hindsight, but you'd be hard pressed to find a Geelong supporter who wouldn't have been desperate for those names at the time...a little bit like what we're seeing now.

I can safely admit myself that I thought we were idiots. We looked a mile off it, while our contemporaries looked like they were improving by the second.

In the end, we didn't go after them...and even if we did, they were token offers within our payscale that looked like chump change in comparison to the other offers. It wouldn't have even made the news.

Instead, we bided our time, picked up a couple moneyball recruits in Dalhaus & Rohan, and landed the real big fish in Jeremy Cameron 2 years later.

Point being, if we had folded the tenants of our club to get in those players (which everyone would have agreed with at the time) there's little chance we end up with Jezza, or Bowes/Clark, or Henry & Bruhn.

Who knows where we'd be, but I'd suspect that's no 2022 flag, and we'd be rivaling the Tigers for the worst list in the AFL if we did.

I guess what I'm saying is have some faith, and accept that while we're not perfect, who have we actually missed on that's really come back to bite us, or have us better off than we are?

We break the pay structure for generational players like Dangerfield & Cameron, and I wouldn't change that.

We wouldn't break it for Frawley, Gaff, Shiel, Hogan, Hopper, and whoever else...and I sure as hell wouldn't change that either.

What we have to ask ourselves is this: Are LDU & Smith more of the latter? Or the former? I think we all know the answer.

Last edited:
Posing a question here:

Smith for sure. Provided he passes medical tests. The bloke is a bit of a specimen, I'm sure he will come out fine with the recovery.

Not necessarily for us, but how much would Luke parker cost?

31yo that is playing VFL, so you would think they can't expect too much. Although this may change by the end of the year.

Surely if he is kept out of the team, he'd be looking elsewhere. Probably doesn't fit our age profile that well, but it seems someone might be able to pick up a decent midfielder for not much.

Cost as in trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back