Traded Jack Steele [traded to St Kilda for 2017 second rounder]

Remove this Banner Ad

Might get slaughtered for this one.

St kilda trade: pick 10 to GWS

GWS trade: pick 16 and Steele to St kilda
Pick 32 to collingwood

Collingwood trade: jack frost or Nathan brown to St kilda
Don't mind the idea but pretty sure Brown is a free agent
No but in a trade thread where I rate a player, and a club that wants to trade him in dont see the value, a comparison to one of their own players I thought would get some thoughts about the value.

It might have been a bad approach I took, but I thought it was relevant.

I think I better just leave this thread. I just rate Steele as a player and have seen him play quite a bit.
I agree on rating Steele but it's not really the deciding factor in the trade here, he's not a treloar commanding big value, fact is he's a fringe player and his full ability/potential won't be seen until he's a genuine mid like he will be with us, so his value isn't especially high, although certainly not low like some GWS players traded like sumner etc. I know the club views him in the second round trade bracket, and like their chances of getting him with a high 3rd, which we don't/won't have. 2017 2nd is fair value, even if we win the premiership and it's pick 36, don't think the giants can ask for too much more.

Offering up pick 10 for Steele and 16 is a steal for us. Offering a 3rd rounder is a Bruce style steal also, possible in the years prior to future trading but not now.

I think realistically he will be worth a pick in the early 20s, something which we do not have so it may take a few other deals, swaps or another player to make it happen.

Also, if GWS value next years first rounders higher than we would then a swap might occur. Eg next years 1st with Steele and a late first coming back this year. On paper Saints win this deal obviously but we all know academy points skew the true perception of what is fair.

As for how good Steele really is, who really knows. Whiley showed that we can't trust NEAFL form, but he hasn't been given a proper chance at GWS in the midfield. You have to remember too that he was taken a year older than other draftees. I'm guessing he will be a solid best 22 player whilst not ever reaching elite AA levels which isn't a bad thing.

As for the Acres/Steele comparison, both are the same age, both being played forward out of position and both have been in and out without showing us what either can really do on a consistent basis. Both have potential (I agree Blake needs to improve by foot but his other talents especially in traffic are near-elite) and that's where the argument stops really.

The main difference between Steele and Acres, as far as trade value is concerned, is that Acres is contracted and getting game time while Steele neither. If Acres was out of contract and asked to leave for more opportunity, I think, despite how much stink Stkilda supporters would kick up about it, we'd be looking at recieving a pick between 20 and 30.

Firstly my initial post in this series was quoting a poster that said he was worth pick 30. You then replied trying to proove acres is way better then Steele (I think Acres is worth more then Steele, but I still rate steele).

Then people were quoting me saying factually incorrect stats, trying to diminish Steele.

Then there are plenty of saints supporters that are saying your 2nd rounder next year would get the deal done or what you would offer. I think you will climb the ladder next year, so that could easily be 30+.
If you are referring to my posts, I think I said next years second and a third for him (which would actually value him at around pick 15 or so).

And I was actually replying to a guy that said he was worth a top ten pick, which I think is ridiculous. I think he's worth a pick around the 20 mark, and since we don't have that we'd have to look at other ways of doing it.

I'd love to have Steele, hasn't done too much in the AFL but I'd love to see him get midfield time for us and some confidence. Would be more than happy to offer next year 2nd round and swap our third rounds for this season.

Wouldn't want to be paying high price, could be good pickup but could just as easy be another Jed Anderson (unlucky couldn't get games playing a good side when fact is he was just plain s**t)

As an outsider here, I'd be happy with either (or both) of Acres/Steele at the Hawks.

I think Steele would be one of our back-up targets should all of the top talent (e.g. JOM/Mitchell) fall through.
I'd be surprised if we hadn't approached Steele and his management in regards to this, so you may see a trade for Steele take a little longer to happen in the trade week as his end location will depend on a few other movements happening first.

As an outsider here, I'd be happy with either (or both) of Acres/Steele at the Hawks.

I think Steele would be one of our back-up targets should all of the top talent (e.g. JOM/Mitchell) fall through.
I'd be surprised if we hadn't approached Steele and his management in regards to this, so you may see a trade for Steele take a little longer to happen in the trade week as his end location will depend on a few other movements happening first.
God dang it. Havent you guys had enough? Can't you just let one slip to us, please?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS will probably demand 2 2nd rounders but this guy is a gun and will be worth every penny

If Steele chooses the Saints then GWS will ask for pick 10....Saints will offer 2017 2nd rounder (est. pick 28). I suspect the clubs will meet somewhere in the middle (pick 20 is about spot on).

A likely scenario IMO:
2017 2nd rounder & 2016 3rd rounder for Steele & 2016 4th rounder.
Don't see how pick 20 is spot on for a player who was bid on with 14 and has been very, very good, how could he have lost that much value. Pick 10 is more than fair.

Don't see how pick 20 is spot on for a player who was bid on with 14 and has been very, very good, how could he have lost that much value. Pick 10 is more than fair.
I don't think where he went in the draft is as relevant as you make out. He's been in the system two years now, most are basing what he is worth off that.

Yes, he's been promising at times but not good enough to warrant a top 10 pick. Not in their best 22 as we speak and not contracted.

i think most GWS fans would agree they won't get pick 10 for him unless there is something fairly good coming back.

In no world do you give up pick 10 for a fringe player, he's shown good signs sure and clearly he's rated but pick 10 is a huge price, if he nominates us there's no way pick 10 will be used unless 15 or 17 (Geelong) comes back, even then I suspect we'd rather do next year's 2nd and change which is a very fair price.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back