Traded Peter Ladhams and #16 traded to Sydney for #12 and F3

Remove this Banner Ad

Well yeah that's because the initial demand was stupid.

If I offer to sell you my pre chewed gum for $1,000 and later sell it to you for $10 you still didn't get a bargain...
I agree the initial demand was stupid but I think he was worth a late second rounder and Port only ended up getting a 4 pick upgrade and a future third which is likely to be somewhere around pick 42-45. There is no way Port bent over Sydney here. If anything I'd call it a slight win to Sydney given the draft this year is apparently very even in the range of picks 10-20.

One of the more unusual trades i can recall.
The guy grew up minutes from the club and a childhood Port fan. Something has happened whereby he was told to effectively pack his bags, coz its hard to see a reason not to keep him purely as a list decision.
Contracted so if Port was unhappy with the trade they could have simply said stay. Wasnt exactly being overpaid for output.

Last season Port very protective coz Sydney asked if anything could be done to massage picks with Landhams for Aliir....no chance. Yet 12 months and a pretty good season later and he's effectively handed over to Sydney. Bizzarre stuff. Something must have happened more than a simple covid breach.

One of the more unusual trades i can recall.
The guy grew up minutes from the club and a childhood Port fan. Something has happened whereby he was told to effectively pack his bags, coz its hard to see a reason not to keep him purely as a list decision.
Contracted so if Port was unhappy with the trade they could have simply said stay. Wasnt exactly being overpaid for output.

Last season Port very protective coz Sydney asked if anything could be done to massage picks with Landhams for Aliir....no chance. Yet 12 months and a pretty good season later and he's effectively handed over to Sydney. Bizzarre stuff. Something must have happened more than a simple covid breach.
Surplus to needs
Salary dump
Off-field issues

Any combination of the above.

Surplus to needs is the most likely reason IMO. I think the club finally realised we weren't going to be able to keep both Hayes and Ladhams going forward, and decided to prioritise Hayes.
Surplus to needs would be a good enough reason. Perhaps its true.
However with a #1 ruck a similar age to ours or older (????), and the expected replacement yet to play a single game...its a bit of a stretch to say Ladhams was surplus to needs. Hickey managed to soldier thru a medial problem second half of the season and therefore a #2 ruck would be considered almost essential.

In reality you dont consider a 23yo ruckman showing promise and getting 17 games kicking some goals as "surplus to requirements"....they are valuable commodities. Port knew they could easily move him NEXT year if they wanted to.

Just seems a tad weird. But these things happen i guess. Curiosity tis all.

Surplus to needs would be a good enough reason. Perhaps its true.
However with a #1 ruck a similar age to ours or older (????), and the expected replacement yet to play a single game...its a bit of a stretch to say Ladhams was surplus to needs. Hickey managed to soldier thru a medial problem second half of the season and therefore a #2 ruck would be considered almost essential.

In reality you dont consider a 23yo ruckman showing promise and getting 17 games kicking some goals as "surplus to requirements"....they are valuable commodities. Port knew they could easily move him NEXT year if they wanted to.

Just seems a tad weird. But these things happen i guess. Curiosity tis all.

Lycett is 29.....

well knock us over with a feather...Ladhams traded for the equivalent points of a pick in the 30-40 range like most of us said his worth would be.

AFL Draft Pick Value Calculator
Traded In
1268 points
347 points
Traded Out
1067 points
Total Traded In 1615 points
Total Traded Out 1067 points

equiv pick 34 Surplus (Ladhams)
Disingenuous argument here. If Port had gotten a handful of 3rd and 4th round picks equal in points value to a first rounder, you'd be in here saying Port just got a handful of 3rd and 4th round picks.

Port said we would need to receive a first round pick to give up Ladhams, Port got a first round pick for Ladhams. Gave up a higher first round pick but still received one. Points equivalent of pick 12 from Sydney was never an alternative to pick 12 itself.

Disingenuous argument here. If Port had gotten a handful of 3rd and 4th round picks equal in points value to a first rounder, you'd be in here saying Port just got a handful of 3rd and 4th round picks.

Port said we would need to receive a first round pick to give up Ladhams, Port got a first round pick for Ladhams. Gave up a higher first round pick but still received one. Points equivalent of pick 12 from Sydney was never an alternative to pick 12 itself.
What I would have said is that the outcome you suggested was still a mile away from the 1st round pick + extras the supporter base was telling the world he was worth

Look, fair enough, if you are happy with the return so be it - I suspect your recruiters would have looked to bundle up whatever they got for Ladhams with pick 16 to get higher in the draft anyway. Is pick 12 going to get the player they want - if so, job done

Ahh ..Tommy R has now belled the cat

"I think they had a pretty honest conversation with Pete (Ladhams) at the end of the season, and just put a few things on the table and he didn’t necessarily like those conversations and the way they headed," Rocky said.

He said that the club had asked Ladhams for some off-field improvements.

"I think they just asked him to be a little bit more professional off the field, put time into his game and make sure he’s doing all his extras and ticking all the boxes," Rocky said.

Ahh ..Tommy R has now belled the cat

"I think they had a pretty honest conversation with Pete (Ladhams) at the end of the season, and just put a few things on the table and he didn’t necessarily like those conversations and the way they headed," Rocky said.

He said that the club had asked Ladhams for some off-field improvements.

"I think they just asked him to be a little bit more professional off the field, put time into his game and make sure he’s doing all his extras and ticking all the boxes," Rocky said.
Gather similar discussions were had with SPP who they also tried to trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back