Autopsy Round 13 Geelong lose to West Coast by 13 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't want to be seen dead in the latter, give me the Falc any day :)
Haha. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a Ford man myself. But there's no denying the handling prowess of an AWD Godzilla compared to a V8 ute.

The Skyline is like a Cheetah chasing Antelope in the Savannah and the Falcon is like a kitten chasing a ping pong ball on a laminate surface. :thumbsu:

Parsons needs a rest, but just might more game time with scooter and nc5 rested
Parsons Mengelola need to do more, menegola is fustrating and selfish

They erred by not giving Gardner games in the JLT series. In fact it was staggering.
That's what good coaches do ......they get games into blokes wherever possible.

Our two best & most consistent performers at VFL level (Gardner & Buzza) can't get a look in. Not because it's not warranted, not because there hasn't been opportunities, but because of nepotism at the selection table.

All good lists bat deep........we don't

Our two best performers at VFL level can't get a look in. Not because it's not warranted, not because there hasn't been opportunities, but because of nepotism at the selection table.

Lonergan is cooked.

We're too slow as a whole and teams are burning us out wide. That's our big problem.

And we're carrying a few players.

Lang and Murdoch only play well when the team is playing well ... Stanley and Kolodjashnij are dumb and reactive footballers.

So many lonergan haters on here. You fail to recognise the number of times he was the sole defender in the right position. We'll feel it when he's done, mark my words
Gee I wouldn't call myself a Lonergan hater. That's very harsh.
We will miss him of course. Our only saving grace right now is how well Henderson is taking pack marks.

I just keep seeing him get out of position, and I keep seeing the effect it has on other backman.
If Lonergan could just sit in the goal square all day he'd be fine.

Lonergan is cooked.

We're too slow as a whole and teams are burning us out wide. That's our big problem.
Lonegran IS cooked, and he's clearly not going around in 2018. Why not get a few games into Gardner and see where he's at.
Giving him a few games can't do anything but help his development
I can see other clubs start sniffing around Gardner & Buzza if Geelong continue to ignore them.

As for Kolo......we definitely got the wrong brother

Lonegran IS cooked, and he's clearly not going around in 2018. Why not get a few games into Gardner and see where he's at.
I can see other clubs start sniffing around Gardner & Buzza if Geelong continue to ignore them.

Pending todays game I'd debut Gardner next week.

As for Kolodjashnij, he lacks confidence. I can see a footballer there but he's really not improving.

Not too bad for me. Obviously, I could tell the players were fighting, but looked unprepared for the hard fighting in 1 qtr, strange. Still mindset issue. I blame the coaching.

I love seeing that in the half break several key players were sitting together for a discussion:they looked very determined. We'll be hard to beat in the final.

Easy to say of course but the brothers were about 30 picks apart...:rolleyes:

Dont suppose you had a method of closing that 30 picks difference when they were drafted?

Go Catters

There is no way Scott will drop Lonergan and replace him with Gardner. We are gunning for a flag this year (a flag I don't think we are capable of winning by the way). Scott won't want to be challenging for a flag with an inexperienced backline of Gardner, Kolo and Stewart. I personally think we should blood Gardner at the expense of our warrior Lonnergan for the rest of the year. It's going to take Gardner a couple of seasons in the seniors to start competing well on a consistent basis.

But then I also think we need to stop treading water and rebuild the list properly via the draft. Forget Ablett and Devon. Hit the draft and go again. But Scott and co clearly have different ideas so don't expect to see Gardner get an extended this year imo. If we finish top 4 again, it will just fool us into thinking we are closer to flag, when I don't think we are..

There is no way Scott will drop Lonergan and replace him with Gardner. We are gunning for a flag this year (a flag I don't think we are capable of winning by the way). Scott won't want to be challenging for a flag with an inexperienced backline of Gardner, Kolo and Stewart. I personally think we should blood Gardner at the expense of our warrior Lonnergan for the rest of the year. It's going to take Gardner a couple of seasons in the seniors to start competing well on a consistent basis.

But then I also think we need to stop treading water and rebuild the list properly via the draft. Forget Ablett and Devon. Hit the draft and go again. But Scott and co clearly have different ideas so don't expect to see Gardner get an extended this year imo. If we finish top 4 again, it will just fool us into thinking we are closer to flag, when I don't think we are..
Nepotism at the selection table......This Geelong team reminds me of the Aussie Cricket team 25 years ago.
'It's harder to get out of the side, than it is to get in'

Our two best & most consistent performers at VFL level (Gardner & Buzza) can't get a look in. Not because it's not warranted, not because there hasn't been opportunities, but because of nepotism at the selection table.

In terms of JLT at least I don't mind Buzza missing out too much. They needed to develop Harry as a forward and that includes learning to work with Tomahawk.

Should definitely have played Gardner though, that was silly.

They are appreciating his consistency and efforts in the VFL side and simply feel he deserves an opportunity to see how he goes at Senior Level

Havent seen his name in the bests very much this year for the VFL side, and your asking him to play on seasoned AFL power forwards. Im not saying he cant be good for us, im saying it might be too early to put him in. Often bringing someone in too soon can do more harm than good for a players development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Havent seen his name in the bests very much this year for the VFL side, and your asking him to play on seasoned AFL power forwards. Im not saying he cant be good for us, im saying it might be too early to put him in. Often bringing someone in too soon can do more harm than good for a players development.
Lonegran is not getting any younger......nor will he be going on in 2018.
If not now........when?

Selwood previous 3 weeks had been in stellar form he has been getting tagged for the last 5 years i think he will be fine.
This. I want to cringe at the stupidity when people think their revealing some clever revelation when they say "tag Selwood"... teams have been tagging Selwood for the last 5/6 years. It's just dumb

If not now........when?

Lonergan should come out, on that point we agree. But it should be done in order to facilitate Harry Taylor moving back into defense, not to debut a rookie defender. Gardners form would have to be stellar for it to happen and he isnt exactly beating the door down. Given we have two games against GWS and a game against Adelaide, i dont really like the idea of a rookie defender playing against Walker, Lynch, Cameron, Jenkins and Patton. Bringing him in for a single gamer here or there really does nothing to help his development, especially if he gets destroyed by a bigger opponent.

What we do with the second tall forward will determine what happens with our defensive personnel. Black in for Lonergan with Taylor moving back to defense and Hawkins in for Stanley.

Lonergan should come out, on that point we agree. But it should be done in order to facilitate Harry Taylor moving back into defense, not to debut a rookie defender. Gardners form would have to be stellar for it to happen and he isnt exactly beating the door down. Given we have two games against GWS and a game against Adelaide, i dont really like the idea of a rookie defender playing against Walker, Lynch, Cameron, Jenkins and Patton. Bringing him in for a single gamer here or there really does nothing to help his development, especially if he gets destroyed by a bigger opponent.

What we do with the second tall forward will determine what happens with our defensive personnel. Black in for Lonergan with Taylor moving back to defense and Hawkins in for Stanley.
Point missed completely
Gardner should be getting some games into him now in case:

A. Lonegran, Henderson or Taylor get injured
B. For his Development
C. Because he's going to be a pivotal defender in 2018.

Seems to be a fair bit of nepotism at the selection committee ATM.
Buzza should have played.......his big body and aggression would have been invaluable tonight

What more does the bloke have to do?????

Cunico gets dropped after making a decent debut, but we persist with Parsons

Black gets dropped after a solid game

Lonegran keeps getting a game while Gardner can't get a sniff

Ruggles can't get a game despite Kolo having a shocking season

And blokes like Lang, Motlop, and Guthrie, getting a game because of so many injuries.

We are breeding complacency in the senior side because of decisions at the selection table.
Ruggles was playing good football and didn't look like getting dropped earlier in the season, then he missed a week with concussion
and can't get back. What goes on?
Bews is ordinary at best.

A. Lonegran, Henderson or Taylor get injured
B. For his Development
C. Because he's going to be a pivotal defender in 2018.

It's amazing how you always have to take a jab at someone you reply to.

I didnt miss the point at all, we are just coming from a different place.

I think we are on the cusp of a flag, so weakening the team to blood youth shouldnt be a priority.

If we get an injury, thats when he debuts, not before. You dont weaken the team in case something happens, especially not in a year as close as this one is.

As i've already said, his development may be done more harm than good if we play him too soon and he gets destroyed live on prime time TV. His form in the VFL isnt good enough to suggest he can come into the AFL team and compete well against the best power forwards in the league.

He isnt going to be pivotal in 2018. He will be a rotating defender at best next year.

Really disappointing. Looked panicked early, fumbly all game, had multiple players apparently wearing the wrong boots and falling over all the time. Menegola had a shocker, as did Guthrie (who is starting to worry me) and the backline seemed constantly out of position with Eagles players either getting free to mark or running back with paddocks of space in front of goal. Injuries to Cockatoo and Scooter just make a bad night more frustrating.

So after our run of wins we learn that we're still inconsistent and can play dumb, panicked footy. Our only saving grace this year is that every other team in contention is also inconsistent. Finals are going to come down to which team can limit their errors for the longer duration. Media and fans can bang on about how it's a great even season but I think they're wrong - it's a poor season where no team is particularly good. Many can play sublime footy but pretty much all teams this year would be crushed by the recent Hawks/Pies/Cats premiership teams and probably by the Saints of 09/10 as well.
Guthrie had 25 and 11 tackles and third top ranking points.
You are starting to worry me!

It's amazing how you always have to take a jab at someone you reply to.

I didnt miss the point at all, we are just coming from a different place.

I think we are on the cusp of a flag, so weakening the team to blood youth shouldnt be a priority.

If we get an injury, thats when he debuts, not before. You dont weaken the team in case something happens, especially not in a year as close as this one is.

As i've already said, his development may be done more harm than good if we play him too soon and he gets destroyed live on prime time TV. His form in the VFL isnt good enough to suggest he can come into the AFL team and compete well against the best power forwards in the league.

He isnt going to be pivotal in 2018. He will be a rotating defender at best next year.
Two words 'succession plan'.
You clearly don't know the meaning of them

Ruggles was playing good football and didn't look like getting dropped earlier in the season, then he missed a week with concussion
and can't get back. What goes on?
Bews is ordinary at best.
Ruggles is almost the forgotten man in the last 6 weeks. He's very stiff not to be playing Seniors.

I'll say it agin. Nepotism at the Selection table is costing us

Is Ruggles a better player when not selected compared to when he is selected?

I'm sure that his position in the team was discussed around this place earlier in the year and his disposal was seen as a weakness of his game.

I for one was quite happy to see Bews replace him in the seniors as I think that Bews is the better one-on-one defender and he provides more as an attacking player.

I felt that Ruggles has stagnated a bit this year compared to the player who came onto the scene last year. Maybe he has been a bit unlucky lately, but maybe they don't see a spot for him in our defence at the moment. I hope good shoulder injury isn't too serious because we really do want those playing vfl to be playing top level to keep the pressure on those in the seniors

Remove this Banner Ad

Back