Frigate

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
It is not all doom and gloom. We played gallantly tonight and Essendon beats anyone when they get their mojo going. They had it from the start. I was impressed with the effort, just a shame as we are not up to it. The truth is we are not far away from the pack, and we just need to continue to grow the list, and have a better run with injuries.

Playing the kids is great, but the kids are not winning games for Peel, so it is not like they are going to play great in the AFL. I know many think Carter is the next big thing, but he needs time. We are quick to banish the youngsters.

Duman seems to be the hitman now - I like him as a player and think he offers quite a bit. Hughes is courageous and does enough, but he does have the occasional brain fade, or skill execution problem - but he is probably the most improved on our list. His intercept marking has been amazing. Logue is a good prospect - I was undecided, however I am a believer now. He just has that mongrel effort that we lack at times.

In many respects, we have a B grade team and we nearly stumble into the finals. It will be an interesting trade time for us. I like Langdon, and he is not far off coming to the really good player status. I hope we get adequate compensation for him.

Changes vs Port. Port are a team we do not like. If we could knock them out of the finals, and finish with a win, I think it is better than getting a draft pick or 2 above, when we know who we are taking anyway.

So, this thinking of "playing youth" and playing more youth in the midfield - well it sounds good, but if it turns ugly it looks really ugly. The reason Cerra is not getting midfield time is that he is not that great in the contest. He is more of an outside pick the play dude. Brayshaw is an inside mid. Carter - at AFL expect 8 possessions and 2 marks. I believe next year, he will be more the 15 possession player you need at AFL level.

In summary, injuries have not helped our cause this year, but we have some how kept in touch to the end. We have thin depth, too many small players, and our ruck stocks are not great. Apart from that, I can see a rosy future. We just need our list available for play. If anything Ross Lyon and co have over achieved with players available. But as a wise baker once said, the proof is in the pudding, and we should have, could have but aint playing finals.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Colyer & Jones in for the retirees.
REad that as Jones and Colyer in to retire.. WOuldn't mind that. Serious spuds on our list, worrying as.

Duman I give another year. But gee he's been poor last two weeks.
Nyhuis in for Duman
Dixon in for Sandi
Carter in for Ballas

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
Cox and Ryan should hopefully be available
Banfield 38 touches and 13 tackles for Peel
North, Dixon should be debuting, perhaps also Sturt
Nyhuis should not have been dropped
Bray and Cerra need to be primarily midfielders

Out: Sandilands, Ballantyne, Duman, Schultz, Conca, Hughes
In: Cox, Banfield, Ryan, North, Dixon, Nyhuis

B: Ryan Hamling Blakely
HB: Nyhuis Logue Banfield
C: BHill Brayshaw Langdon
HF: Matera Mundy Walters
F: Cox McCarthy Switkowski

Foll: Darcy Fyfe Cerra
Int: North Dixon Tucker Crowden

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Cox and Ryan should hopefully be available
Banfield 38 touches and 13 tackles for Peel
North, Dixon should be debuting, perhaps also Sturt
Nyhuis should not have been dropped
Bray and Cerra need to be primarily midfielders

Out: Sandilands, Ballantyne, Duman, Schultz, Conca, Hughes
In: Cox, Banfield, Ryan, North, Dixon, Nyhuis

B: Ryan Hamling Blakely
HB: Nyhuis Logue Banfield
C: BHill Brayshaw Langdon
HF: Matera Mundy Walters
F: Cox McCarthy Switkowski

Foll: Darcy Fyfe Cerra
Int: North Dixon Tucker Crowden
Really should be doing this. But Ross will probably get done for tampering, allowing Port to cruise to the finals. I don't care. I hope Port smash us rather then Adelaide making it. Stuff them, Adelaide are West Coast of SA.

Just want something positive to end on the season. Debut some players, give them the hunger

I'd keep Conca and Hughes in. They deserve to be playing.
Nyhuis should've played most of the season. Small forwards have been hurting us all season. Duman has major cookie points. No idea why

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
Really should be doing this. But Ross will probably get done for tampering, allowing Port to cruise to the finals. I don't care. I hope Port smash us rather then Adelaide making it. Stuff them, Adelaide are West Coast of SA.

Just want something positive to end on the season. Debut some players, give them the hunger

I'd keep Conca and Hughes in. They deserve to be playing.
Nyhuis should've played most of the season. Small forwards have been hurting us all season. Duman has major cookie points. No idea why

Resting the retired and dropping a few doesn't weaken our odds of winning to be honest! (As opposed to those other seasons we rested the top 10 players).
And Port suck too so anything could happen.

Not sure about those two - don't seem to be contributing when the going is tough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Out: Sandi, Balla, Schultz, Crowden, Duman, Matera
In: Dixon, Sturt, Banfield, North, Nyhuis, Bewley

Sick of so many short people who are average at everything. They need blinding pace or some standout quality. The ones we play are a massive liability.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

Sick of so many short people who are average at everything. They need blinding pace or some standout quality. The ones we play are a massive liability.

Agree with the comment. We totally have the wrong idea when selecting small forwards to draft or recruit. We try and fit Lyons choice of dour defensive tackling short kicking types instead of flair, speed, skill, forward smarts and goal sense.

Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

Ross’ post match comments regarding Carlisle last week and Hurley this week out markings there smaller opponents are nonsensical when they had the opportunity to make changes. Really if you played Dixon over Shultz the last two weeks would the team have been any worse off.
Even the commentators kept going on about sandi at FF not working.... when was the last time sandy has taken Ann overhead mark. His value is in bringing the ball to ground and when your smaller players can’t hit the scoreboard and the ball is rebounded out with no real pressure it is wasteful to have him plonked there.
The mids did their job again but lack of forward structure was a joke
Thought cam looked good hitting up a bit higher

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ross’ post match comments regarding Carlisle last week and Hurley this week out markings there smaller opponents are nonsensical when they had the opportunity to make changes. Really if you played Dixon over Shultz the last two weeks would the team have been any worse off.
Even the commentators kept going on about sandi at FF not working.... when was the last time sandy has taken Ann overhead mark. His value is in bringing the ball to ground and when your smaller players can’t hit the scoreboard and the ball is rebounded out with no real pressure it is wasteful to have him plonked there.
The mids did their job again but lack of forward structure was a joke
Thought cam looked good hitting up a bit higher

Sandi took an over head mark 15m out from goal. Then shanked the kick.

Is Valente injured? debut in home state??

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Quick question:

Does anyone think we lost tonight because of injuries?

Well, no. We lost because we didn't play well enough.

But if we added Hogan, Tabs, Lobb, Pearce, Hill, Wilson and Ryan to that team we probably would have played much better footy.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Well, no. We lost because we didn't play well enough.

But if we added Hogan, Tabs, Lobb, Pearce, Hill, Wilson and Ryan to that team we probably would have played much better footy.
Let's face it - Essendon are absolute tripe served on a warm crap salad with a side of putrid rotting stone fish.

And, we're worse.

Injuries have nothing to do with it.

Nov 28, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
none
REad that as Jones and Colyer in to retire.. WOuldn't mind that. Serious spuds on our list, worrying as.

Duman I give another year. But gee he's been poor last two weeks.
Nyhuis in for Duman
Dixon in for Sandi
Carter in for Ballas
I’m telling you now, Nyhuis won’t come in for Duman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back