Preview Round 17: Changes Vs Hawks + Pre-match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting smashed by the Hawks in Tassie was par for the course back in 2013-2015 so I'll barely react I suspect. They are still way older and more experienced than us and definitely should be beating us.

But that touches on my other point too, the fact that I just expectt that tells me Lyon has some work to do to convince me past 2020. To be honest though, at least part of that is cattle. Still not convinced we have ever played the Hawks with Ross at the helm when their team wasn't better.

Re: reactions - I think we need to cop 4-5 results like the Eagles in the run home to move on Ross this year.

You really think the Hawks have a better team than us currently? I reckon they're extremely average. They beat the Pies (who are quietly having a torrid season despite picking up a few wins) but before that they lost 4 in a row. I think they end up bottom 6. Clarko is definitely holding back the dam wall atm.

If we're still behind a team like the Hawks (particularly with their injury list) we've got a hell of a way to go to make finals next year. Going to be hard to win in Tassy of course but we've got to be competitive.

Honestly from what we have out:
Duman - Best at Peel by mile and has played decent AFL before. Straight in.
Darcy - Offers more than Sandilands now. Straight in.
S. Hill - FFS don’t rush the guy - one week at Peel.
Banfield - Only pick if there’s a spot in the midfield otherwise he’s depth.
Nyhuis - Has his papers stamped which I think is dumb tbh. Doubt he plays.
Schultz - Maybe worth a go but skills look average.
Bewley - Was only just dropped. Wouldn’t put it past us though.
Jones - Okay back up. No more, no less. Doesn’t play unless we really need him.
Dixon - Probably an injury or illness to McCarthy away from playing.
Sturt - Wouldn’t surprise me to see him play but isn’t ready.
Carter - Would surprise me to see him play. Also isn’t ready.
Watson - Would also surprise me but would probably do okay tbh.
Valente - Would very much surprise me to see him play. Isn’t ready.
O’Reilly - Won’t be seen anytime soon.
All Others - Injured.

Isn’t pretty reading - I’m thinking Duman, Darcy and probably S.Hill probably come in but the club is hardly in the right spot to make a statement.

All Others - Injured.

Isn’t pretty reading - I’m thinking Duman, Darcy and probably S.Hill probably come in but the club is hardly in the right spot to make a statement.

It’s true! A week is a long time in footy!

You really think the Hawks have a better team than us currently? I reckon they're extremely average. They beat the Pies (who are quietly having a torrid season despite picking up a few wins) but before that they lost 4 in a row. I think they end up bottom 6. Clarko is definitely holding back the dam wall atm.

If we're still behind a team like the Hawks (particularly with their injury list) we've got a hell of a way to go to make finals next year. Going to be hard to win in Tassy of course but we've got to be competitive.
Yeah, they are pretty average, but so are we. Don't reckon there is much in it but they still have around double figures of multiple premiership players and a handful of good younger players. We have a handful of gun middle age players and plenty of inexperienced players who may be as good or better than those experienced Hawks players are now.

Reckon they'll finish above us on the ladder. They could fall completely off the cliff next year though.

All Others - Injured.

Sandi would have been more competitive against Kruezer then Darcy was, wouldnt have been so easily brushed aside.

All Others - Injured.

Hope Duman and Nyhuis get to play. Don't discount the negating job Nyhuis did on Waterman and he was awarded best player for Peel!

I don't mind Dixon getting a game as well considering he's from Tassie, especially if his relatives fill up half the stand. His height down front might be just the help McCarthy needs.

North another not ready and didn't have much effect on game?

PlayerInjuryEstimated Return
Changkuoth Jiath Broken jaw Test
Tom Mitchell Broken leg Indefinite
Tim Mohr Dislocated knee/ACL Season
Dylan Moore Groin Test
Ryan Schoenmakers Calf 2-3 weeks
Jack Scrimshaw Knee Test
Chad Wingard Hamstring Test

They have 2 (arguably 3) best 22 players on their injury list. They are consistently the oldest team each week, having topped up with mature recruits for eons.

In: Duman, Bewley, North, Darcy
Out: Logue, Colyer, Crowden, Sandi

Logue has been toweled up the last couple of weeks and I really question his decision making. Athletic, but lacks footy smarts.

Crowden is a great tackler, but useless by foot.

Colyer is a 🦀

Sandi sounds as if he is done. Played more minutes than NN and the game was over at HT.

👏 Freo

Hope Duman and Nyhuis get to play. Don't discount the negating job Nyhuis did on Waterman and he was awarded best player for Peel!

I don't mind Dixon getting a game as well considering he's from Tassie, especially if his relatives fill up half the stand. His height down front might be just the help McCarthy needs.

North another not ready and didn't have much effect on game?

Knew I forgot someone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn’t matter who comes in or out, they’re basically the same player options, except Duman must come in to free up Blakely to play in the middle to give Fyfe & Mundy a chop out. They look knackered.
What needs fixing is game style & horses for courses selections. No Duman or Nyhuis last week meant no lock down defender against the most dangerous small to mid forwards in the game. Seriously who was going to play on Cameron, Ryan, Rioli & Cripps last week? That goal feast in those conditions had to be expected.
Switta does far too much work between the arcs & is too tired to push forward when Freo do get a fast break. For a small forward he’s had bugger all shots & has no connection with Matera at all.
And why did Crowden spend so much time at centre bounces? I’m stopping there!!

PlayerInjuryEstimated Return
Changkuoth Jiath Broken jawTest
Tom MitchellBroken legIndefinite
Tim MohrDislocated knee/ACLSeason
Dylan MooreGroinTest
Ryan SchoenmakersCalf2-3 weeks
Jack ScrimshawKneeTest
Chad WingardHamstringTest

They have 2 (arguably 3) best 22 players on their injury list. They are consistently the oldest team each week, having topped up with mature recruits for eons.
Wingard and Mitchell are the only two from that list that unquestionably make them better. They are pretty healthy.

Seriously...with the weather expected down there on the weekend....I hope we kick more than two goals.

Schultz in, Darcy and Jones. It will be a slog contest.

Well your blind as a bat if you think Lyon has not changed significantly since 2015 in the way we game plan. I'll start you off with the first change, 1. We don't employ a tagger anymore.
Agree.
I don't have a problem with people who want Ross gone, it's their opinion that's fine, but don't base your argument on the fact Ross won't change. It simply isn't true, he has clearly changed his ways since 2015.

People can debate about Ross Lyon in the last few years. You can debate that he has changed his gameplan.

Malpaso I agree, we gont have a Ryan Crowley type tagger anymore.

When it comes to playing list. Well theres been changes there. Our back 6 from that 2012-15 finals era are all gone with Spurr and Johnson being the last 2 to go.

There is a huge gap between WAFL/VFL and AFL. Plenty of players can't make the step up.
Well he clearly fits in at the level, just doesn't want to take his shots at goal for some reason, even when he has set shots 45 out he looks to pass it.

Someone might need to just tell him to back himself more.

The Hawks are very average however they've tried to remain competitive by hoarding the ball in their backline in a 'bend but don't break' fashion. It's gross to watch. The smaller grounds help them and of course our propensity to boot the ball willy nilly into the forwardline plays right into their hands.

The one main thing to change is the booting the ball up the ground to be intercepted by the opposition defenders.
It just beats me why we continually do that.
Very frustrating.

The one main thing to change is the booting the ball up the ground to be intercepted by the opposition defenders.
It just beats me why we continually do that.
Very frustrating.
I don't mind that we do it because sometimes we simply have too however I mind a lot when we do it, don't have too and to top it off know that we have a lack of marking targets or they are out-numbered.
We are at times very impatient to our detriment rather than fast-ball movement.
The Hawks will play a slow game preferring to maintain control in their back half and keep scoring opportunities to a minimum.

There has to be a point where we throw it all on the table and start bringing in 1-2 new players.

North must have insulted Ross's entire family to not get a game averaging 21 disposals in the wafl but he would be ideal.

Valente is definitely heading towards a pick, he is getting good numbers and will give us great two sided kicking.

Duman or Nyhuis.. we cant have both in and I personally choose Duman with his size and kicking which seems to be good.

Unfortunately there is no way in hell they will roll the dice with Dixon yet even if he may grow in the AFL, some players play better when they are around better players. They may not show WAFL form but in the AFL they will stand up to the challenge because you have Fyfes, Hills, Mundys etc. playing around you.

Unfortunately we have no pacey skillful players at the moment. We have Valente and North who are good inside mids and Dixon who will get his chance but every outside player we try seems to not be ready.

Out: Switta Sandi
In: Duman and North or Valente

Switta doesnt impact the game as much as he should and we dont need another pacey small forward who doesnt kick goals.. Sandi plays at optus and thats it.
Duman can offer a swing-man role possibly? and we need to see if either North who averages 21 in the WAFL and just turned 20 or Valente whos was the South Australias MVP and AA vice captain in the u18s can cut it in the AFL.
Valente only just played league again last week after being in the WAFL reserves. Play Blakely in the midfield woulda ya fellas - can't be copping 40 points from him in fantasy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back