Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. The Cats need to focus on the draft, rather than spread themselves thin by forever topping up.

Are Geelong going to fork over pick 18 for a 31 year old, because if we let the contracted, reigning back to back B&F depart for pick 36, then our football department should be taken out and shot.

It's ridiculous talk. Tom Brown is a player agent mouthpiece.
Higgins manager is merely using another club to get a better deal for his player. It has the same ring about it as Deledio a year or so ago. The fact of the matter is he was never seriously on our radar. I can't remember us recruiting a 32 y.o. He's yours.

If there is any chance of us going down that road for next year it would be Steven who is about 3 years younger and even then it wouldn't be for a first rounder IMO.

As for average list age there's very little difference between you and us. Quite a bit in quality though.;)

Geelong is treading a fine line atm in list management... but we have heard the sky is falling for many a year. As it stands .. we have had 3 RS nominations this year .. we have a young KPF playing and several younger types in the side and on our list. Our list change is not mono-ageist

Come on mate, you're a pretty good judge, and you know that team symbiosis plays a significant role in these things when it comes to juniors.

Constable, Miers & Clark are nice filler but they are not going to replace the likes of Dangerfield, Selwood or Kelly.

As for average list age there's very little difference between you and us. Quite a bit in quality though.;)

This would be the most abused statistic in AFL football.

Fair enough. I reckon there's an end point to it, where the base (future) is eroded so much that the whole thing collapses when the topping up inevitably fails.

IMO, Kelly is ground zero for Geelong. They simply must facilitate another ready to go mid 20's and under midfielder from his trade.

As I said in the previous post ... it depends on the unknown potential of players yet seen. Kelly was drafted 2 years ago with a pick in the 20's .. Clark was a P15 , Miers a pick in 50's , MOC a Rookie B , Dahl was a FA etc... its a moving template and FA means that a total rebuild by dropping has more risk than upside. I will say I have a penchant for a very early pick or two..but there is no certainty with them. Plenty of picks from Stk , Melb and even North show that.

I do not agree that we must go for a mid 20's replacement for Kelly. Not at all. If we got 2 early draft picks great.Go to draft. Replace his spot in the side with a mature PnP..

Our VFL side had a substantial win over North on Sat.. players like Constable and others are demanding selection , plenty a kid waiting his chance. Narkle for one has just come in for example .. next year Brownless will ..

I kind of find it ironic that a North supporter who has had as many as if not more FA's than Geelong would think our list approach is headed for a dire end. The reason why you on here is about a player you added for zip.. its the way all clubs now think if and when FA's want to come to your club. Carlton are just about there.. if that adds Coniglio this year.. they will swing into their more traditional mode of cherry picking.

Last edited:

I have no idea mate.

There appears to be sections of the AFL media that believes AFL clubs are in the business of gifting Geelong premierships.

It's bizarre.

IMO, this stuff is heavily player agent driven, or just plain made up.
heck you are a diickhead

Come on mate, you're a pretty good judge, and you know that team symbiosis plays a significant role in these things when it comes to juniors.

Constable, Miers & Clark are nice filler but they are not going to replace the likes of Dangerfield, Selwood or Kelly.

The three you have mentioned demonstrates my point. Id like to have a single figure pick to draft a new Selwood... if we get a pick like that from a deal this year.. id like to go that way. Danger trade in as a consequence of FA pressure ... Kelly a clever mature pick..
There will be a point ..when if the players we have drafted do not come one then we will have to look at other alternatives..

As I said in the previous post ... it depends on the unknown potential of players yet seen. Kelly was drafted 2 years ago with a pick in the 20's .. Clark was a P15 , Miers a pick in 50's , MOC a Rookie B , Dahl was a FA etc... its a moving template and FA means that a total rebuild by dropping has more risk than upside. I will say I have a penchant for a very early pick or two..but there is no certainty with them. Plenty of picks from Stk , Melb and even North show that.

I do not agree that we must go for a mid 20's replacement for Kelly. Not at all. If we got 2 early draft picks great. Replace his spot in the side with a mature PnP..

Our VFL side had a substantial win over North on Sat.. players like Constable and others are demanding selection , plenty a kid waiting his chance. Narkle for has just come in for example .. next year Brownless will ..

I kind of find it ironic that a North supporter who has had as many as if not more FA's than Geelong would think our list approach is headed for a dire end. The reason why you on here is about a player you added for zip.. its the way all clubs now think if and when FA's want to come to your club. Carlton are just about there.. if that add Coniglio this year.. they will swing into their more traditional mode of cherry picking.

You can't compare North's situation with Geelong's, and as far as our VFL is concerned, it's a new side with ZERO focus on winning.

You saw our midfield on Saturday night, yet Nathan Hrovat has had 37 and 36 disposals in the VFL midfield in the past 2 matches and is probably going to be delisted at the end of the year, so some kid running around picking up a lazy 25 against our VFL side isn't really proving anything.

Why would we look to you as a judge of talent?

1 ******* goal in a game you wouldn’t know talent if it was gift wrapped to your side

heck I wish you were board banned

1 ******* goal in a game you wouldn’t know talent if it was gift wrapped to your side

fu** I wish you were board banned

It's just opinions mate. Relax.

Jack Steven
Shaun Higgins
Who else?

Shouldn't we fundamentally be seeking out a highly effective ruckman before anything else?

Fair enough. I reckon there's an end point to it, where the base (future) is eroded so much that the whole thing collapses when the topping up inevitably fails.

IMO, Kelly is ground zero for Geelong. They simply must facilitate another ready to go mid 20's and under midfielder from his trade.

Yes and no. You probably cant win flags all the time going that way but if your development of younger players is good enough you can hang around the 8 fairly consistently which is basically our current strategy. We're the only team to have not finished bottom 4 in the last 15 years so that speaks volumes. Its also important to note if you want to drop down to go up you need to either have a list poor enough to finish low and get you consistent top 5 picks (we didnt) or you need players you can trade out for early picks who have that currency level and are expendable. Most of our matures after 2011 were either too old to have real currency or too important culturally to trade (see Taylor Bartel etc). Im unconvinced that trading out older players for 3rd rounders would have put us in a better spot than where we are.

We've lost plenty of mature players and done fine i agree Kelly is more critical as straightaway hes become our best mid 20s player (ahead of guys like Duncan and probably Stewart etc) so we need to ideally bring in some players in that age bracket who can play straight away as part of the trade. It doesnt need to be a like for like though for example indirectly swapping Kelly for a mid aged A grade KPF would do as much for the side as replacing him with an A grade mid would. Its a critical trade though agreed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course. I don't get this mentality that has arisen with AFL "journalists" whereby individual player wishes have become the centre of the universe. It has to be player agent driven stuff.

If Shaun really wants to dig in over a 3rd year of a contract, then I would be happy for the club to show him the door, to the highest bidder. Gold Coast could do with a bloke like that for 3 years, throw us pick 17 thanks. Bye Shaun.

If you think Shaun Higgins would fetch more in trade than Gaz did you are kidding yourself.

He's worth a third rounder unless an opposition list manager suffers a stroke.

Jack Steven
Shaun Higgins
Who else?

Shouldn't we fundamentally be seeking out a highly effective ruckman before anything else?

No doubt we will i think the issue is theres only a few A grade rucks and they are realistically unobtainable (Gawn Grundy etc) and a lot of the rest are possibly too old for what we want (see Goldstein Jacobs Ryder Martin etc) or not necessarily likely to be better than the battlers we have (unless we can get Darcy but i think thats unlikely). We have however brought in a lot of mature rucks since Ottens (see Stephenson HMac Stanley Blicavs Clark Smith Abbott Fort etc) so i expect we may trade out at least one of our rucks and trade in a mature ruck if we think it will give us a better overall group than what we have.

No doubt we will i think the issue is theres only a few A grade rucks and they are realistically unobtainable (Gawn Grundy etc) and a lot of the rest are possibly too old for what we want (see Goldstein Jacobs Ryder Martin etc) or not necessarily likely to be better than the battlers we have (unless we can get Darcy but i think thats unlikely). We have however brought in a lot of mature rucks since Ottens (see Stephenson HMac Stanley Blicavs Clark Smith Abbott Fort etc) so i expect we may trade out at least one of our rucks and trade in a mature ruck if we think it will give us a better overall group than what we have.

I don't really see the mechanics of how we should go about it, but even taking one of the bolded for 1-2 years would be better than what we are doing

Miers and Clark are not filler ... but nor are they comparable to Danger/Selwood/Kelly etc. Clark may be more of a Enright type, Miers being a forward ... perhaps a Chapman (sort of?)

Constable could be good, not Selwood/Danger good ... although a rising star nomination early in the season shows theres something there.

I don't really see the mechanics of how we should go about it, but even taking one of the bolded for 1-2 years would be better than what we are doing

For next year purely yes but over 30s run the risk that one injury and they are done (see hmac) but short term we might do it.
On the bolded:
Goldstein-durable tick probably could be tempted by finals but will want 3 years as Nth are offering 2...would i contract him that long? No
Ryder-them signing ladhams for 3 years and lycett 4 tells me they are happy to trade him for a token late pick but he wont move his family over for 1 year would have to be 2 year deal.
Jacobs-see Ryder
Sandi retires ditto Mumford and NicNat wont go.
Theres not much else Darcy is contracted id ask about Preuss but Melb have no ruck depth so they are probably happy to pay him to sit in the 2s. The rest is really try to poach low hanging unproven fruit (see Smith at Brisbane Frampton/Hayes Lynch (coll) Pittonet Cameron (syd) etc) or try and draft a state league ruck.

For next year purely yes but over 30s run the risk that one injury and they are done (see hmac) but short term we might do it.
On the bolded:
Goldstein-durable tick probably could be tempted by finals but will want 3 years as Nth are offering 2...would i contract him that long? No
Ryder-them signing ladhams for 3 years and lycett 4 tells me they are happy to trade him for a token late pick but he wont move his family over for 1 year would have to be 2 year deal.
Jacobs-see Ryder
Sandi retires ditto Mumford and NicNat wont go.
Theres not much else Darcy is contracted id ask about Preuss but Melb have no ruck depth so they are probably happy to pay him to sit in the 2s. The rest is really try to poach low hanging unproven fruit (see Smith at Brisbane Frampton/Hayes Lynch (coll) Pittonet Cameron (syd) etc) or try and draft a state league ruck.

If North are open to giving Goldstein a 3 year deal why shouldn't we?

When we reference players like HMac wasn't he injury prone to begin with? I understand not wanting to take someone who has had a history, but age doesn't necessarily mean no good.

Preuss has always confused me why he went there when he could have gone somewhere else for #1 spot.

Darcy - well maybe this could and will form something to do with a Telly trade.

If North are open to giving Goldstein a 3 year deal why shouldn't we?

When we reference players like HMac wasn't he injury prone to begin with? I understand not wanting to take someone who has had a history, but age doesn't necessarily mean no good.

Preuss has always confused me why he went there when he could have gone somewhere else for #1 spot.

Darcy - well maybe this could and will form something to do with a Telly trade.

Goldy is more durable yes but the risk if he has injury next year or drops off in form youre still stuck paying a 33yo you cant retire. Because he is FA and costs no picks id consider it but id be reluctant.

Preuss/his mgr was stupid melb literally had no other ruck except Gawn it was obvious they were prepared to pay $ overs (i think he got a 4 year deal) just to have a decent ruck sit in the 2s as insurance and were unlikely to play him. Be interesting to see if he tries to move or is just happy being paid to play 2s.

Darcy i think we will want but he is contracted and Freo can get the Kelly trade done with picks and other players they have..there is no reason for them to trade him.

fu** I wish you were board banned
I wish I was surprised...

Your opinion is not worth a pinch of s**t. According to you it was the umpires fault your joke of a club only kicked one goal. One goal. For a whole game. One hahahaha.
Awful troll. Not sure why he keeps coming back when not really wanted.

On topic. Higgins is a poor fit for us, when he went to North he’d have been good but not now

Darcy i think we will want but he is contracted and Freo can get the Kelly trade done with picks and other players they have..there is no reason for them to trade him.

Unless of course Geelong demand it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back