Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 6 vs. Hawthorn - Giants Stadium (NSW), 7:50pm Fri 10/07

Remove this Banner Ad

INS: Sier, Broomhead, Thomas, Quaynor
OUTS: Cox, DeGoey, Wills, Brown

Go with a smaller forward setup.

Quaynor into the back pocket and Varcoe goes forward.

B - Quaynor Roughead Sharenberg
HB - Crisp Moore Maynard
C - Phillips Pendlebury Treloar
HF - WHE Mihochek Varcoe
F - Elliott Stephenson Daicos
R - Grundy Adams Sier
INT - Broomhead Mayne Thomas Brown
No, please, no more Varcoe at senior level.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, please, no more Varcoe at senior level.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree...but one thing that irritates me is when a coach brings a guy back for one week then drops him the next. I think if someone has earnt their spot in the side, they need 2-3 weeks to settle in.

Wills has had his 3 weeks now and just hasn't impressed. So I think Sier should get a run.

I like the idea of bringing Broomhead in for De Goey. We have similar lead-up forwards already, and would prefer someone who is a more pure crumber.

Then I'd bring Rantall in for Tyler Brown.

I like the idea of bringing in Kelly, who has done everything right to earn a debut.

But it should be alongside Cox and Mihochek, not as a replacement for either of them. As a third tall, Kelly has a good chance of success. Asking him to debut at FF or CHF places way too much pressure on the young man.

Let’s give him the chance to settle in slightly under the radar as our 3rd tall forward, rather than in the spotlight of a key position post, where he’ll have to battle a much stronger and more experienced direct opponent.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I like the idea of bringing in Kelly, who has done everything right to earn a debut.

But it should be alongside Cox and Mihochek, not as a replacement for either of them. As a third tall, Kelly has a good chance of success. Asking him to debut at FF or CHF places way too much pressure on the young man.

Let’s give him the chance to settle in slightly under the radar as our 3rd tall forward, rather than in the spotlight of a key position post, where he’ll have to battle a much stronger and more experienced direct opponent.

Absolutely. And the absence of DeGoey makes this week the perfect opportunity to give Kelly a run.

Next week with DeGoey back then decisions can be made about Cox/Kelly, running a two talls or three up forward, etc.

Hi mate, breust is out with a fractured jaw. He’s basically our only decent forward as Gunston now plays over the ground.

Mitch Lewis won’t play and Liam Shiels may miss with concussion.

Patton will come in for Lewis, who’s been playing worse then cox this season.

Jack scrimshaw, who’s been one of our better players the last few weeks will be out as well. He will probably be replaced with harry Morrison. He makes John noble look like Andrew McLeod. As vanilla as they come.

There is a good chance we may give a debut to Finn McGuiness, who has big wraps. He can play both inside and outside mid.

Good luck on Friday night..might be first to 50 wins..

Don't worry, we will play Patton into form.

If McGuiness plays, we should play Rantall. They can have a time trial at half time.

Out: DeGoey, Cox, Wills
In: Noble, Kelly, Sier

One more week for Varcoe, benefit of the doubt after only playing one game. A lot of out of form small forwards too but unless JT starts killing it in the 2s he's hardly forcing anyone out of the side.

While Kelly may be raw and inexperienced, memories of Cox past games against the Hawks, combined with his last 2 games are too much for me. Try the kid out while his form in the 2s warrants it.

B: Crisp, Roughead, Scharenberg
HB: Maynard, Moore, Noble
C: Phillips, Pendlebury, Mayne
HF: C. Brown, Mihoceck, Daicos
F: Elliott, Kelly, Stephenson
M: Grundy, Treloar, Adams

INT: T. Brown, Sier, Varcoe, Hoskin-Elliott

Mihocek can play relief ruck. Not ideal... on the short side for that role... but a big body and has done it before, so him rucking for collectively 8- 10min a game shouldn’t hurt.

So I think 190cm + guys in Mihocek, Kelly and (when available) De Goey plus the smalls will work fine for a forward line setup

I'm not sure why Grundy has to come into F50 to take every one of those stoppage contests. Maybe if he stayed a kick behind the footy occasionally he'd get a bit more of a breather in game.

Another opinion...

Jordan De Goey had not been having a good year on the field before a criminal charge was laid.
Steele Sidebottom had been having a very good and bad year on the field before he ended up in the back of a divvy van, semi-naked, with a belly full of whisky and bad decisions.
This week neither De Goey nor Sidebottom will be in Sydney playing against Hawthorn, a team that beats Collingwood for fun, winning nine of their last 10 going back to 2013.
Collingwood’s forward line has been spluttering for a year and it has not been made more functional by the return of Mason Cox, who has barely played a good game since the best of his career in the 2018 prelim final.

Cox as a target for the club’s problems is as obvious, as he is a target on the field given his size, but he alone should not overshadow the Pies’ worrying issues.
The club had brought Darcy Cameron in for two games before switching him out for Cox. Cameron didn’t do enough as a forward. Cox has done less.
Cameron has only played two AFL games so there is scope for him to improve and he could come back in. But young Will Kelly – son of premiership player Ned who was drafted as a key back but has been developed was a key forward – should get his chance. He kicked three in the seconds again on Friday and has strung several good games together.
The effect of picking him would be to ask Grundy to essentially ruck solo but with shorter quarters that’s conceivable. Grundy’s impact and his connection with his midfield remains a frustration at Collingwood for they have lost the ability to maximise his impact.

Again on Friday, as it was the week before, his hit-out dominance did not translate to clearances. Opposition mids again seemed to have a better understanding of where they should be for Grundy than Collingwood’s did. When he hit it to his feet they were there, when he belted to space the Dons had a defensive sweeper.
Pendlebury has been playing as well as any time in his career and Taylor Adams has been excellent yet the midfield has struggled for clearances and ball movement. Adam Treloar was in his first game for a long time and lacked touch.
Brayden Sier has been ridden hard to earn trust, respect and his place back in the side after his amusingly dumb Phil Inn basketball moment last year (just another in the conga line of Collingwood’s inventively stupid off-field issues), but surely he must return. They cannot play him and Rupert Wills in the same team for issues of leg speed and spread but Sier is more creative with scope to be better.
Tom Phillips was moved from a wing to the half-forward this year and he has not adjusted. His best work was running 400s up and down a wing and linking play. He is not a natural goalkicker and has become anonymous.
Josh Daicos has been a find on a wing because he is an elite user of the ball if not yet a high possession earner and Chris Mayne is reliably effective on the other wing. But Phillips is wasted as a forward so one needs to move.

The forwards have been cruelled by stultifying ball movement, which is far too handball-heavy. They are unable to adapt to wet weather.
Will Hoskin-Elliott looks nothing on the player of 2018 and could be considered an option to switch to defence where Jeremy Howe’s absence is having a profound effect.
The injury to Howe has denied Collingwood the option of moving Darcy Moore forward again. Moore as a mobile forward and second ruck to Grundy could be extremely dangerous but would be unlikely – if it ever was likely the match committee would do it – with Howe out of the team.

I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion. Cox has 1 mark in F50 and a goal, Cameron has zero MI50 and score impact, and Cox has more hitouts from what I'd have thought was less time in the ruck given Cameron covered Grundy for an extended period in 1 game.

I'm not sure why Grundy has to come into F50 to take every one of those stoppage contests. Maybe if he stayed a kick behind the footy occasionally he'd get a bit more of a breather in game.

I agree, but we get a few clear F50 stoppage goals from his ruck-work. Probably not as many as we should, but it would hurt us to lose this I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, but we get a few clear F50 stoppage goals from his ruck-work. Probably not as many as we should, but it would hurt us to lose this I think.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking every time but with Cox in F50 it wouldn't hurt occasionally if he remained in the midfield and pointed to Cox to take the contest. I think Cox can still generate those F50 stoppage goals.

I'm backing in a big game from Elliott this week. He plays a lot better without JDG in the side.

Look at all those fine games he played late last year with Jordy out.

I actually agree with this. Elliott is looking very out of place at the moment, so I think he'll benefit from having a bit more responsibility up forward in his preferred role.

We obviously need to find a role for Elliott long term to fit alongside Stephenson and De Goey. But it's probably an opportunity for him this week to regain some touch.

Ive been banging on about this for a week. It’s exactly what all the other clubs do too.

JJK, Darling and Allen/Waterman.
Lynch, Riewoldt and Chol/Soldo.
Mcstay, Hipwood and Mcinerney.
Dixon, Westhoff and Marshall.
Cameron, Himmelberg and Finlayson.
Ryder, Membery and King.
Hogan, Lobb and Taberner.
Patton, O’Brien, Lewis/Frost.
Mckay, Casboult, McGovern/Curnow.

I understand that some of those KPP are rucks too, but that’s no different to Cox spending 15 minutes in the ruck.

I’m def open for Kelly getting a crack. As for Degoey being out you may be right.

We are getting so many inside 50”s and just not getting the Rewards. I watched GWS yest and they scored on just about every entry, was obviously rare but geeze was good to watch how well their forwards worked together. They must have some serious salary cap issues with their list that was gifted to them.

Gee it would be nice to have 3 highly mobile key forwards.

In. Noble Sier Kelly
Out. Varcoe Wills De Goey

B. Noble Roughead Scharenberg
HB. Maynard Moore Crisp
C. Phillips Pendlebury Daicos
HF. Hoskin-Elliott Mihocek C.Brown
F. Elliott Cox Stephenson
R. Grundy Treloar Adams
I. Mayne Sier T.Brown Kelly
E. Cameron Thomas Rantall Varcoe

Is Bruest still out? Massive for us if he is.

I expect all of Sicily, Mitchell, O'Meara and Gunston to dominate us but if Bruest is out, that definitely helps...
I want to see WHE used as a defensive forward on Sicily. I reckon defensive forward on opposition interceptor is his best chance of becoming relevant.

INS: Sier, Broomhead, Thomas, Quaynor
OUTS: Cox, DeGoey, Wills, Brown

Go with a smaller forward setup.

Quaynor into the back pocket and Varcoe goes forward.

B - Quaynor Roughead Sharenberg
HB - Crisp Moore Maynard
C - Phillips Pendlebury Treloar
HF - WHE Mihochek Varcoe
F - Elliott Stephenson Daicos
R - Grundy Adams Sier
INT - Broomhead Mayne Thomas Brown

I like it.

Ive been banging on about this for a week. It’s exactly what all the other clubs do too.

JJK, Darling and Allen/Waterman.
Lynch, Riewoldt and Chol/Soldo.
Mcstay, Hipwood and Mcinerney.
Dixon, Westhoff and Marshall.
Cameron, Himmelberg and Finlayson.
Ryder, Membery and King.
Hogan, Lobb and Taberner.
Patton, O’Brien, Lewis/Frost.
Mckay, Casboult, McGovern/Curnow.

I understand that some of those KPP are rucks too, but that’s no different to Cox spending 15 minutes in the ruck.

The issue is that De Goey, Elliott and Stephenson aren't genuine smalls. They play as key talls. De Goey and Stephenson in particular are around the 190cm height so are realistically playing as tall forwards.

I think 3 talls works in general, but then you need genuine crumbers.

If we go in with a forward line of Cox, Mihocek, Kelly, De Goey, Elliott and Stephenson, then we are basically play 6 guys who want to play as key forwards. Then chuck in WHE as well.

I actually think we should play Stephenson from the goal square and De Goey as CHF. Elliott probably drops out of the team unless one of De Goey or Stephenson are out. Mihocek and Cox play as targets, but basically drawing out key defenders to give Stephenson the best matchup. Then I'd go 2 genuine small crumbers. I actually reckon Broomhead and Cal Brown are the 2 I'd use.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back