Preview Changes v Cats and pre match chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Rawlings: Curtis Taylor will miss 3 weeks with a kneee injury after his heavy knock on the weekend.

We need to re-evaluate our medical staff if we are putting guys out there who are missing weeks of football after the game. It is not like the game was in the balance or it was an important game. We are putting badly hurt guys back out on the field, that is a worry.

Geelong's back 6 work together better than most, if not the best, peel off to support each other, take away space, etc. That being the case, I don't think this would be the ideal game to bring Browny back in. I'd wait till Melbourne on the weekend.

I just w
The criticism against brown was warranted in that he didn't do the things that's normally associated with 2m tall forwards. Brown is a forward but his prescence is more like a medium sized play. He doesn't bring the ball to the ground. Brown either clunks it or not. If the key forward isn't marking it, he needs to smash the pack and let the little ones pick up the pieces. Secondly, shaw played him out of position. Brown's best role is not out of the goal square but as a running tall player who takes a leap and when he doesn that, Brown is unstoppable. Brown is terrible in a 1v1 grappling or stationary packs where there is no room to leap at it. Brown is a limited forward who also happens to be given sh*t service. Larkey by contrast is far more suited to the goal square, he still hasn't fully filled out his frame but when he gets to his peak, he is easily a Josh Kennedy type power forward who can wrestle and break packs. In the mean time, depending on the opposition, Walker or Daw should be shifted up to have 2 powerful key target. Walker for consistency and Daw for the x-factor as on a good day, he might boot 8 or not touching the ball once on a bad day.

I'm not saying the criticism of Brown wasn't warranted. He absolutely needs to compete harder in the air - something Maj and Larkey do. I would suspect that's the main reason he's been dropped and fair enough. He has done this better in the past (clearly) but it has never been a strength of his. Tony Lockett would've struggled to kick goals with the way we've been delivering the ball this year. It was why I wanted to have Brown play last week, kick a few on a shite team and get confidence back.
I am on record here as saying multiple times that BBB is a FF, not a CHF, so we are in agreement there. Why people think that a bloke who's kicked 60+ 3 years in a row and isn't a great contested mark, should be playing up the ground and getting possessions on the wing and/or too far out to kick goals is beyond me. He needs to lead from the goal square and we need to actually kick it to his advantage, rather than on the top of his head.

Larkey looks good and with his footy smarts/leading patterns, he already made Brown look better two weeks ago. I think Larkey has the ability to become a very good CHF - he has already been huge for us.
Maj has become the ultimate utility player. He is best suited to Defence, Ruck, Forward, in that order in my opinion. If he has the opportunity to run and jump at the ball (like he does down back and in the ruck) he can be unstoppable. He is also quite a skilled tap ruckman. There is a large enough body of work from Maj for us to know that he's not a good KPF at AFL level. The defensive units at the higher level are too smart and organised. they simply block him and take away his run and jump at the ball and he is largely rendered ineffective. He was almost out of the league before the shift down back in 2018. In an ideal world, he would be able to play 85% down back and 15% in the ruck to help Goldy. This means Walker has to play defence.

Wat a win it was tho
We beat Geelong in a lackluster affair on a Saturday night after getting belted by Gold Coast the week prior?

It was one of the worst wins we’ve ever had because it was a slap in the face to the supporters who wanted top four and the team made us settle.

What is everyone’s obsession with Hosie? What’s he shown???? Would think Will Walker would come on first.
How can he "show" anything when he never gets a shot? Seasons shot, 3 games in 9 days, makes perfect sense to give him a roll. Both could come in, they're not mutually exclusuve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the Cats are entitled to feel a bit hard done by this Wednesday. Their game on Saturday in Perth finished after ours, they have to fly and get used to a new Hub location, all within 4 full days. Not that I care! In fact I like it.

However, Daw has pulled up well after his first senior game in almost two years.

"Whether it's one, two, three or four (changes), I'm not quite sure yet – but there will be changes," Shaw said.

Players such as Will Walker, Tom Murphy, Marley Williams, Mason Wood, Ed Vickers-Willis and Lachie Hosie could come into contention as a result.

Last edited:
We need to re-evaluate our medical staff if we are putting guys out there who are missing weeks of football after the game. It is not like the game was in the balance or it was an important game. We are putting badly hurt guys back out on the field, that is a worry.
Tas please. Clubs fine. Putting Curtis, Larkey, Thomas, all back out on the ground was the right call.
They all passed the fitness test and were integral to ensuring we wrapped up the four points. If we didn’t send them back out then we’d be in a worse off ladder position than where we are now.
The main thing is all are healthy and ready to go for the big game against Geelong. Cunners and Ziebell should be ready to hit Geelongs big bodies as well. North by plenty xx

Tas please. Clubs fine. Putting Curtis, Larkey, Thomas, all back out on the ground was the right call.
They all passed the fitness test and were integral to ensuring we wrapped up the four points. If we didn’t send them back out then we’d be in a worse off ladder position than where we are now.
The main thing is all are healthy and ready to go for the big game against Geelong. Cunners and Ziebell should be ready to hit Geelongs big bodies as well. North by plenty xx

Is this satire? We need an official satire font.

Shaw: Jared has been fantastic. His attitude has been great over the last couple of the days. He won’t be long out of the side.
Whatever issues they had with Polec, surely they couldn't have corrected it over a few days in one scratch match.
This one still has a bad smell about it. Was a stupid decision to drop him in the first place.

It’s good to see Scamper laying down the law. Linda Blair is baack! Even Big Bambi Brown is no certainty.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think maj will still be rested but down think brown will be back based off that.... be a few changes still I think just for the short turnaround. Murph and walker id say then hopefully a hosie

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back