News Live Pass scrapped - Kayo now sole streaming option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I guess Telstra customers will be just like every other network user and have to pay for it.
So my plans of going to Telstra just for AFL Free pass are now done. I'll stick with a cheaper, better value phone provider thanks.

The subscription fee doesn't even bother me. It is the data usage that does as you need a huge amount of data to watch AFL on a phone or tablet.
If you are on NBN, almost all plans are unlimited data, no?

My phone plan has about 80GB each month - pretty sure I won't be watching that much footy on my phone away from home!

Kayo streaming quality is second rate espically when watching on a big screen. Also no dedicated TV app. Great timing Telstra to pull the pin on AfL live during reduced crown capacity in 2021. See ya Telstra overpriced rip-off.

I use an android box (shield tv), and the quality is more than fine. Have never had an issue.

People need to stop relying on their "smart tvs" and invest in either a chromecast or a decent android tv box.

I think Kayo is great value. It's $25 per month but allows for 2 x simultaneous users and can become 3 users for $35.
Ideally the cost won't jump if Stan and some of the other streamers keep pushing for sports.

- Every AFL game plus classic matches.
- Enough NBA games.
- Cricket broadcast is better on Fox than 7.

sounds like the afl grand final remains in sole control of ch 7 - all the press release material is saying "every game of every round" which has been the foxtel / kayo cvp for some time

i tried watching the grand final via the 7plus app on a smart tv last year (don't have access to 7 via an aerial etc) and it was unwatchable - 480p, on about a 3 minute delay

i like kayo as a product, but the lack of competitor landscape for streaming rights is going to be an interesting one to watch afl / nrl (and now netball too, i see) manage over the next few years

i imagine they're worth quite a bit but news corp have domestic sporting codes over a barrel - you want big $$s for broadcast rights? we want EVERYTHING

the dream of the faang being interested in pissant oztrayan sporting code rights is laughable

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So my plans of going to Telstra just for AFL Free pass are now done. I'll stick with a cheaper, better value phone provider thanks.
Yeah good idea

sounds like the afl grand final remains in sole control of ch 7 - all the press release material is saying "every game of every round" which has been the foxtel / kayo cvp for some time

i tried watching the grand final via the 7plus app on a smart tv last year (don't have access to 7 via an aerial etc) and it was unwatchable - 480p, on about a 3 minute delay

i like kayo as a product, but the lack of competitor landscape for streaming rights is going to be an interesting one to watch afl / nrl (and now netball too, i see) manage over the next few years

i imagine they're worth quite a bit but news corp have domestic sporting codes over a barrel - you want big $$s for broadcast rights? we want EVERYTHING

the dream of the faang being interested in pissant oztrayan sporting code rights is laughable

Optus Sport (I don’t have it) is apparently going alright after the World Cup disaster. Stan Sport is about to start up, has all the rugby content. So there’s slowly some competitors starting up... more than there was for satellite / cable TV anyway.

Optus Sport (I don’t have it) is apparently going alright after the World Cup disaster. Stan Sport is about to start up, has all the rugby content. So there’s slowly some competitors starting up... more than there was for satellite / cable TV anyway.
The barrier to entry has dropped significantly now you don't have to get physical boxes to customers.

I'm annoyed that I would need to pay $300 a year as apposed to roughly $99 a year to see the same content. We can't justify that with all the platforms we already have compiled over the Covid period. I guess I'll be spending more time down at the pub :drunk:

I'm annoyed that I would need to pay $300 a year as apposed to roughly $99 a year to see the same content. We can't justify that with all the platforms we already have compiled over the Covid period. I guess I'll be spending more time down at the pub :drunk:

Given Kayo is monthly cancel anytime just choose what months you want it for. It's also a lot better than the AFL live, trust me I doubt you will be disappointed.

Last edited:
Always thought Kayo was a pretty good deal to be honest. $25 a month for all the sport channels. I don't blink twice about buying a six pack that costs that much (several times a week) lol. I do have unlimited NBN at home for work purposes, but that's still only $60 a month. For watching games when i'm away from home though I keep things to an absolute minimum as I only have 10Gb per month to use.

I do something similar.

I have Fetch and unlimited internet with Optus for $81 per month.
I started sharing with someone else Kayo which means its $12.50 per month
and my phone is with Aldi and rarely use more than 1.5 gb per month as i use the wifi at home

I use an android box (shield tv), and the quality is more than fine. Have never had an issue.

People need to stop relying on their "smart tvs" and invest in either a chromecast or a decent android tv box.
what is shield tv and android tv box MagpieJoel ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back