Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 21 vs. Melbourne, Fri 05/08, 7:50pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His tackles & pressure acts have been fairly in line with average.

Except against Port, he registered 32 pressure acts. That is by far the most for the whole game. 32 is elite.

I have mever seen a forward that covers the space between themselves and a defender so quickly, with clear intent to tackle & ability to complete the action. Most forwards appear to apply pressure without the intensity that MacCreery brings. Bring micro second changes to the defenders actions, enough to influence downfield options.

That said I am understanding of your question mark TGG. He will need to do more to build his career on. Safe this year I suspect.

Last edited:

I have mever seen a forward that covers the space between themselves and a defender so quickly, with clear intent to tackle & ability to complete the action. Most forwards appear to apply pressure without the intensity that MacCreery brings. Bring micro second changes to the defenders actions, enough to influence downfield options.

That said I am understanding of your question mark TGG. He will need to do more to build his career on. Safe this year I suspect.
The thing with Beau, is that what he's good at, he's f**king good at.
The rest of his game needs to develop, but it's still early days.
He will be a beast when that happens.

match sim this morning.

Grundy (white) v Cameron (black)
Cox (white) was mostly down forward.

Make that what you will.
I can't see Grundy going in the seniors based upon what he managed, output wise, last week.
I assume that Cox may have been part of the usual spillover of players who play in white each match sim. Ginni was similar and is zero chance of playing 2's this week after last week's 3 goal game.

I can't see Grundy going in the seniors based upon what he managed, output wise, last week.
I assume that Cox may have been part of the usual spillover of players who play in white each match sim. Ginni was similar and is zero chance of playing 2's this week after last week's 3 goal game.

Not this week given his ankle soreness

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I do hope you’re right.

But if it doesn’t work out that way, it will be for the best. It hasn’t taken us long to stop being outraged at losing Treloar, Stephenson and Philips.

Many of us we’re more outraged at the salary cap debacle that put us in this position…. Not so much at the players they chose to sacrifice. If I’m outraged about losing anybody…. It would be Aish who was flicked a year earlier for the same cap reasons.

Losing Henry won’t be for the best. It will be a bad result. We will move on but it’s in no way comparable to what you are referencing.

Surely he is a Hoskin Elliott replacement? Only young, can definitely work on his deficiencies.

Absolutely. Henry is a keeper. He’s a replacement for Hoskin Elliott, Elliott, Mihocek or cox. Take your pick . Plenty of time for him to slot into our best 22 alongside Johnson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to see his stats for the last week or two. Player stat averages don't protect them from a drop in form. I have seen some good games from him, but nothing in recent weeks that would suggest his spot in the team is set in concrete. Henry enjoyed the same level of support on this board with numerous posters all but claiming him untouchable - until he was omitted. Am I asking for too much?
I'm not sure why you can't look on the AFL website and source some stats for a game? McCreery had 7 disposals and 3 tackles on the weekend.
Plus, pure stats are being increasingly de-emphasised within the AFL. Impact is being increasingly recognised by contrast.

Parish, Shiel on Anzac Day racked up stats and didn't hurt. Matt Crouch can't get a regular game. Walsh and Cripps had 80touches between them against Adelaide and they lost. I suspect it is a problem with North too, where their drafting has been headed up by a Champion Data alumni.

By contrast, we get less possessions than our opposition quite regularly at present. Richmond were similar in their best years, with Martin rarely racking up huge numbers, but his impact with breaking lines and angles with piercing kicking is invaluable.
Our players are terrible in fantasy football these days but the team wins games!
On the weekend, Pies had 318 disposals to Port 401 and most considered us to have been a 6 goal winner on feel and relativities of the game.
Previous week 301 vs 366 disposals against the Bombers
Against North Pies 341 vs 359 disposals for North

Difference with Henry vs McCreery is this for mine.
Henry's role as a third-tall type mobile marking forward is capable of being played by Ash Johnson who also has some other strings to his bow.
Who else comes in and plays the pressure forward role that McCreery plays. We need more than Elliott in the team who hunts, at speed, and stick tackles or causes stoppages and turnovers in our forward half?

Not this week given his ankle soreness

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
But I think the white jumper was a pretty clear signal, prior to his ankle injury.
By contrast you cite Cox in white, but I take it to merely reflect that some senior players don the white to even the numbers up in match sim regularly.

My question mark is not so much over his general value as a player as his current form. Not seeing him live for some weeks, I imagine I miss a lot of what he does off the ball and off camera. What I haven't seen recently is possessions and goals. I am more than happy to accept assurances that he continues to play a role. We have won 10 games in a row so no point in changing personnel unless injury requires it. But where he goes from here as a player is an interesting prospect.

But I think the white jumper was a pretty clear signal, prior to his ankle injury.
By contrast you cite Cox in white, but I take it to merely reflect that some senior players don the white to even the numbers up in match sim regularly.
Possibly.

Though interestingly enough; Beggy didn't go in the ruck once.

An in-form and fit Sier would fill a couple of shelves. Old Mother Hubbard's dog would have died of hunger if relying on the other three to provide a meal.
Uniting the themes of ruck rovers and Old Mother Hubbard reminds me of a nursery rhyme I once heard:

Old Mother Hubbard went to the cupboard,
To fetch her poor dog a bone,
But when she bent over,
Dirty old Rover... gave her a bone of her own.

My question mark is not so much over his general value as a player as his current form. Not seeing him live for some weeks, I imagine I miss a lot of what he does off the ball and off camera. What I haven't seen recently is possessions and goals. I am more than happy to accept assurances that he continues to play a role. We have won 10 games in a row so no point in changing personnel unless injury requires it. But where he goes from here as a player is an interesting prospect.
I’ve been to every home match this year. McCreery does a helluva lot off the ball. Rewatch the replay v Port and v other teams & focus on McCreery. He is quite remarkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back