Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 4 vs. GWS Giants - FRI 26/06 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Mumford in for Sauce is clearly a tactical change. Jacobs was bought to the club to be the genuine tap ruckman they lacked compared to Mummy, who will clearly come in with one objective of trying to psychically "bully" Grundy again.

Hopefully we have a few tricks up our sleeve to counter this, the Giants have put a lot of faith in purely bringing in Mummy to try and stop Grundy, obviously they see that as a key factor to winning the game. If we can find away around that it will go a long way to winning this one for us.

Mumford in for Sauce is clearly a tactical change. Jacobs was bought to the club to be the genuine tap ruckman they lacked compared to Mummy, who will clearly come in with one objective of trying to psychically "bully" Grundy again.

Hopefully we have a few tricks up our sleeve to counter this, the Giants have put a lot of faith in purely bringing in Mummy to try and stop Grundy, obviously they see that as a key factor to winning the game. If we can find away around that it will go a long way to winning this one for us.
Bully Grundy? Bloody hell theyre slow learners. I recall when Mumford was still at Sydney and Brodie was only in his 2nd or 3rd year he tried that tactic and got ragdolled by Brodes a few times. He’s much stronger now. Stupid tactic, but go for it Giants. 👍

I'm not concerned. Last time we played them Grundy dominated him with 31 disposals (22 contested), 11 clearances, 4 marks and 48 hit-outs compared to Mumford's 9 disposals (6 contested), 3 clearances, 0 marks and 11 hit-outs, in a 47-point win where Grundy got 3 brownlow votes. Mumford is 33, fat and slow; Grundy will run rings around him, he won't keep up. And we can get Cox to rough him up if needed.

I'm not concerned. Last time we played them Grundy dominated him with 31 disposals (22 contested), 11 clearances, 4 marks and 48 hit-outs compared to Mumford's 9 disposals (6 contested), 3 clearances, 0 marks and 11 hit-outs, in a 47-point win. Mumford is 33, fat and slow; Grundy will run rings around him, he won't keep up. And we can get Cox to rough him up if needed.
Cox and 'rough him up' in the same sentence.

What did I just read?

Bully Grundy? Bloody hell theyre slow learners. I recall when Mumford was still at Sydney and Brodie was only in his 2nd or 3rd year he tried that tactic and got ragdolled by Brodes a few times. He’s much stronger now. Stupid tactic, but go for it Giants. 👍

I agree that this is not the move I would've gone for if I was them. Dropping Jacobs for Mumford is basically showing that they're prepared to sacrifice any ruck work, Jacobs is averaging nearly 30 hitout's per game Mummy won't get anywhere near that, and are basically looking for him to nullify Brodes as much as he can. I'm sure Grundy and the club though will have figured out how to combat that and he will have a night out against old Mummy.

Cox and 'rough him up' in the same sentence.

What did I just read?
Lol didn't even notice that. Unintentional, but you get the point.

I have to admit, GWS changes make them a much stronger squad than last week.

All the players they have brought in are stronger than the player they're replacing, except for possibly Tom Green who I haven't seen play enough to judge.

True, but they also looked better on paper against the teams they lost to the past couple of rounds (epecially last round, where the bulldogs side was very inexperienced, and I believe the youngest side fielded last week). The players they bring in won't concern me. It'll be how they play, as they could've belted the two teams they lost to if you look at the names alone.

Last edited:
Why is Sier an emergency? Weren’t there better players in the scratch match?

Didn't see it but apparently he was pretty good. Aside from Thomas kicking 2 goals and Treloar playing well, Cox taking 14 marks, the one point I can remember reading was about him being our second best mid behind Treloar.

Mumford ain't there to bully the big blokes, he's there to drive a knee into a small bloke on the ground and put him out for the match and a few weeks.

Mumford ain't there to bully the big blokes, he's there to drive a knee into a small bloke on the ground and put him out for the match and a few weeks.
Hopefully someone other than opposition supporters notice this and more importantly act upon it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mumford couldn’t get off the ground 9 months ago. How’s he going to go now?

He's not there to get off the ground, but watch what he does when he "falls" on people fighting for the ball on the ground. Dave's right, he's been brought back to try and quell Grundy. (and by quell I mean bruise)

He's not there to get off the ground, but watch what he does when he "falls" on people fighting for the ball on the ground. Dave's right, he's been brought back to try and quell Grundy. (and by quell I mean bruise)
Well if that’s the Giants game plan, they’re more desperate than I thought. Worked well trying to rough the Dogs up last week. Plastic tough guys.

Well if that’s the Giants game plan, they’re more desperate than I thought. Worked well trying to rough the Dogs up last week. Plastic tough guys.

Mummy's not a plastic tough guy mate, he's been hurting ppl for years...yeah he's slow and all but you don't have to be fast if your opponent is on the ground and you weigh 110kgs. The stuff they tried against the Dogs last week was a joke. Mummy probably won't have any effect on the game....but if he injures a Grundy or a Pendles just for fun....THAT could have an influence not only on this week but our entire year. Others like Kappa has pointed it out, he's a gangster when someones on the ground.

Mummy's not a plastic tough guy mate, he's been hurting ppl for years...yeah he's slow and all but you don't have to be fast if your opponent is on the ground and you weigh 110kgs. The stuff they tried against the Dogs last week was a joke. Mummy probably won't have any effect on the game....but if he injures a Grundy or a Pendles just for fun....THAT could have an influence not only on this week but our entire year. Others like Kappa has pointed it out, he's a gangster when someones on the ground.
Fair enough. If they think that how they can win, bring it on. I’m not here to pump up those w***ers.

That's my reasoning too, Grundy's already tender ribs will get a workout tomorrow.

All he needs to do is play his role, there is not 22 superstars in the side.
Richmond has plenty of “roleplayers” that compliment the stars, it’s why they are so good.
Mayne won’t be dropped if he continues to do what he has done for the last 2 seasons.
That’s fine but Mayne’s role is counter productive. There are are players who can play a more useful role.

Brown played nearly every position on the ground at one point or another; key forward, key back, ruck... he was like a bigger, less athletic Goldsack.
I don’t get this, Brown was only ever good at one role for us. The third key forward/ruck. He was bog average everywhere else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back