Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 8 vs. WCE - Optus Stadium, 3:35pm Sun 26/07

Remove this Banner Ad

DeGoey Atu and Varcoe all give us a bit of dash. Cameron and Shaz don’t. I fear we’ll be too slow, especially with Wills Phillips Mayne and Brown still all in the team.

It was great when our selection committee took the risk of bringing in all of Kelly IQ and Atu together. Sadly they’ve gone back into their shells.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We're hardly known as a lightning quick team, and I think that might have affected the choices your MC made. Just a thought.

I feel Varcoe is a big loss for you, he has had some very good moments against us, and played really well last week.

DeGoey Atu and Varcoe all give us a bit of dash. Cameron and Shaz don’t. I fear we’ll be too slow, especially with Wills Phillips Mayne and Brown still all in the team.

It was great when our selection committee took the risk of bringing in all of Kelly IQ and Atu together. Sadly they’ve gone back into their shells.

Would you rathered Cox? He isn't any faster than Cameron. Cameron is more mobile. Reid is mobile as well.

Shaz fills the Howe role, so of course he would come back in.

Cripps is a gun with size similar to Sier - the nuggety smalls are no match for inside ball against this size body. Outside ball is a different question - but even then, I’d take fast big body over a nuggety small.

I’d take the young kid Green ( not Toby) from GWS over Rowell.

Say that again?

Meh, not a huge fan of JT and C.Brown in the same side.

Think Atu is stiff as he added a POD.

If we get 2018 JT then that'd be nice.

The Berg is a good in and Cameron deserves another crack. Needs to take plenty of grabs.

Huge game, the draw opens up for us the following 3 weeks.

Bit harsh on Atu, not sure Thomas and Brown have offered much more than him recently. Like the rest of the changes tho
I agree with that about Atu.I think we should have given him at least one more game.Not looking forward to seeing Thomas get his usual 5 unimpactful disposals,and Brown with his usual 12 unimpactful disposals.

I agree with that about Atu.I think we should have given him at least one more game.Not looking forward to seeing Thomas get his usual 5 unimpactful disposals,and Brown with his usual 12 unimpactful disposals.
Next minute.. JT kicks 5.

Hopefully his time away in the 2nds has got his form back. At his best, we are a better team.

I'm not sure what HL3 is, but I think you’re going to release it. Last year we were in a slump, we went in small in defence against WCE, bringing in Noble to give us extra run. Someone got injured and WHE had to play on Allen. We won when no one expected us to. Admittedly, the next week GWS exploited our lack of height as we replaced whoever got injured with Appleby.

But Moore and Roughy give us enough aerial cover to handle bombs. And if WCE want to try to isolate Allen and play through him rather than their guns, good luck to them. I'll back Bruzzy in to take him to the cleaners.

No Half Life 3 for you matey 😎

No Half Life 3 for you matey 😎
I've still got no idea what Half Life 3 is.

And rather than conceding I was wrong, I'm going with the theory that Shaz is only in because Varcoe is injured and no running option to replace him. I have this avatar for a reason.

Speed is definitely a concern.
Hopefully Nathan knows what he is doing because if we are exposed for speed---this match will have been failed at selection.

We need to think differently about selection at the moment. A hectic time coming up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to agree. I was hoping they'd keep the same balance of defenders to give us real drive. With Shaz, I daresay they didn't have a quick defender in the mix to replace Varcoe, even if they wanted to keep the same balance.
I think that Crisp, Noble and IQ are enough in terms of Dash from defence. TBH, Shaz and Roughy are the only two back there you could call slow.

Bianco is a red herring in this argument, he has nothing to do with Rowell. Size can matter when it comes to mids, but there are guys who that just doesn’t apply to and Rowell is one of them. You don’t walk in to the AFL system and start getting BOGs within a month without being a bona-fide superstar, regardless of your size. I haven’t seen a kid have an immediate impact like Rowell had this year since Judd‘s debut season. It’s bizarre that you’d even try to argue that Greene or any player could be more desirable than Rowell simply based on size.

My point is that with small size you need to be exceptional to make it (and Rowell is exceptional no question) and this I think is reinforced by the fact that not many small guys, say below 175cm are drafted. I think Eddie Betts is 173cm and is a Suoerstar who would probably not require the same level of exquisite skill to make it had he been 185cm.
Rowell is also physically more mature than most players in his draft year, and I feel as these other guys mature he may well be eclipsed as the best in his draft.
Further as his career develops I would not be surprised to see him tagged by bigger bodied players, which I think will be telling.
He may turn out as good as Ablett only time will tell but I’m not convinced.

Don’t mind the changes, would have preferred to see Bear than JT, but perhaps they have a more forward role in mind given he’s replacing JDG and JT has more runs on the board in that capacity.

Cameron and Scharenberg are logical ins.

I think that Crisp, Noble and IQ are enough in terms of Dash from defence. TBH, Shaz and Roughy are the only two back there you could call slow.
I agree. I just really liked it last week when all of them were running past looking for the handball. I'm nor worried about being beaten in the air by a 3rd forward and think if they're all offering dash it'll be a real weapon.

I agree. I just really liked it last week when all of them were running past looking for the handball. I'm nor worried about being beaten in the air by a 3rd forward and think if they're all offering dash it'll be a real weapon.
Shaz has actually done that a few times this year too. Seems to be much more willing to run and create drive than he has in the past.

I’m not that happy with the changes.

3 quick players out and we bring in 2 slow players. One slow in the differential was expected but can’t see why we brought in Shaz.
Shaz in always worries me but that might just be me. He has always looked so vulnerable in defense due to his lack of pace and size. Smaller sized defenders usually have pace to compensate. Shaz is small and slow. Not a good combination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back