Prediction Changes: Round 3 Vs Cartlon + Pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Treacy in for Fyfe. Walters in for Giro or Colyer (don't really have a preference.) Sturt, Logue and Henry if they're fit.

Let's send Carlton 0-3. They deserve it.

As someone else commented earlier. Not sure how anyone could think the side that played today needs another 2 key position defenders. Our B22 balance in round 1 was ridiculous.

Anyway

Out: Fyfe, Giro
In: Walters, Sturt
agree - but ideally we need one. Whether that one is Hamling or APearce. Logue is a bit more versatile.

Could see something like:
Logue Hamling Ryan
Wilson Cox Young

I would be stunned if Colyer was dropped after his performance.

I guess I was equally stunned that he made the side after his previous week’s performance. And it only happened due to injuries and the number of other changes forced on us.

What sometimes gets missed is that Colyer often takes the wrong options in a goal scoring sequence. Tabs goal from deep in the left hand pocket came from a Colyer inside 50 after an incisive, carving burst through the middle. But he didn’t seem to even notice Freddy getting into a far more dangerous position running right into goals.

That can be seen to be carping but fundamentally Colyer is not as good as the guys becoming fit and available.

I think he makes the perfect medical sub. Even then I’m eventually picking Crowden before him.

Obviously Walters comes in but would also love to see Logue in for Conca. Probably won't happen although not sure why, 31m gained and is always high on the frees against list which means shots on goal. Usually the argument is he locks a dangerous forward away but Greene had 4 shots on goal and the ball was hardly up there.
I still think Sturt comes back via WAFL and see where he fits in the following week, Switta and Shooter are locked in now.
Logue in for Conca is a good shout actually. Burnt us a few times even though I like his endeavour.

Probably can't go in with Tabs Treacy and Darcy all in the same forward line at the docklands (Marvel Stadium).

You can go too tall there. Looking at the WB/WCE game on Sunday, there always seems like its one too many when you play 3 talls. Allen only had 4 possessions, Vardy was redundant for the Eagles and English (who is prob the most athletic ruck/mid hybrid) had 9 possessions alongside Naughton and Bruce. In the end, when WB wanted to win the game, it was done by sending Bontempelli forward.

If Tabs needs a week off, and he does look like he's under duress, it might be best to leave him at home. Otherwise Treacy has to wait a week for his debut.

Walters coming back will help give the experience and leadership.

Fyfe was a major contributer today with how the forward line went, especially in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Lots of score involvement, so is going to be missed.

Maybe take a punt and play Sturt as the mid sized forward off limited preparation.

Frederick, Switkowski, Shultz would still make up a pretty decent forward line. (2 talls, one marking medium, 3 smalls)

Colyer, Giro, Blakely battle it out for one spot and the emergency sub bench.

I thought Acres was ok, ran hard, average skills by foot, at times appears he doesn't commit when there's a ball on the ground to be contested. Is he weak stooping to pick up below his knees?

Last edited:
I am a big fan of both players but I would be really hesitant about just throwing in Logue or Sturt without any pre-season games or match practice; it just feels like a recipe for them going in and out of the team the next week, especially with both of their injury histories. It is a different case with Walters because he is a veteran player with the experience to do it. I would also rather they tried out Treacy because he has had an uninterrupted pre-season, match practice and is in good form; he is also a good match for the role Fyfe was playing forward, but I guess they would also worry that Treacy can't be thrown into the midfield like Walters can.

I feel like what the selectors will go with will be:

Fyfe Out Walters In

But then I fear the repercussions of that move will be that our lack of height forward (only Taberner and Darcy) will be exposed by Carlton. For mine the order of small forwards was:

Frederick, Shultz, Switowski, Colyer.

So there is an argument to drop Colyer for Walters, although Colyer added a lot of run and speed to the forward line that unfortunately Walters is just not going to bring.

I would think it’s certain Treacy will come in if Fyfe is out.
Walters too is an obvious in. I know Colyer did ok yesterday but he’s a very limited player.
Would love to find a replacement for Acres but we may have to wait another week or two for Sturt and Logue to get some game time.
Logue in for Chappy would strengthen the side but at the same time it’s nice to get a few games into Heath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What to do with Chapman? It would be great if he just stayed and racked up 200 games in a row from here but would we be throwing him to the wolves? If the sub was guaranteed 20 mins of footy a week perhaps that would ease him in with regular footy but it doesn’t.

Another great game by Young last night as well.

I would think it’s certain Treacy will come in if Fyfe is out.
Walters too is an obvious in. I know Colyer did ok yesterday but he’s a very limited player.
Would love to find a replacement for Acres but we may have to wait another week or two for Sturt and Logue to get some game time.
Logue in for Chappy would strengthen the side but at the same time it’s nice to get a few games into Heath.

given Logues injury history he should ease back into it in the WAFL. Maybe 60% game time then 80 the following week

Acres is too unreliable for mine, you can’t bank on what you will get from him game to game. I think if we’re ever going to be a really good team, we’re squeezing him out, same as Colyer. If Sturt and Walters are available they should be straight in.

I can't see them omitting one player who plays mid and one player who play mid/forawrd for two pure forwards.
Blakely and Treacy in for Fyfe and Colyer would be my choice. Logue fo Cox if there is anything wrong with his hip.
Well we move Freddy up to the wing for Sturt. Treacy takes Fyfe's spot in the FWD line.

Aish was in the middle for spurts yesterday. Also I reckon Schultz would be alright with some mid time.

I guess I was equally stunned that he made the side after his previous week’s performance. And it only happened due to injuries and the number of other changes forced on us.

What sometimes gets missed is that Colyer often takes the wrong options in a goal scoring sequence. Tabs goal from deep in the left hand pocket came from a Colyer inside 50 after an incisive, carving burst through the middle. But he didn’t seem to even notice Freddy getting into a far more dangerous position running right into goals.

That can be seen to be carping but fundamentally Colyer is not as good as the guys becoming fit and available.

I think he makes the perfect medical sub. Even then I’m eventually picking Crowden before him.
[/QUOT

Yeah I saw the Freddie thing, but he hit Taberner on the chest with a terrific kick and Tabs goaled. Similar happened all game from him. Would simply be surprised if he lost his spot this week. Like Blakely last season, he probably won't be able to maintain the standard and then he will be pushed a little down the pecking order. His and Freddie's pace really troubled gws, but it's one game. We'll see.
Soon we are going to have some difficult selection headaches. Whether it starts this week at Docklands, I'm not sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back