Traded Lloyd Meek - [Traded with F2 (Dogs) to Hawthorn for Jaeger O'Meara and F4]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hill and Smith were our wingers in our 3 peat.

Hill left a massive hole on the other wing when he left. We tried Henderson and Scully, but it was never the same.
That was my point about hill, he was just a plug and play role player at the Hawks because that's all you needed him to be

At Freo he was a match winner, we expanded his role and I think the rivalry with his brother helped that too, he was a star at Freo and the compensation we got from saints for him reflected that

That was my point about hill, he was just a plug and play role player at the Hawks because that's all you needed him to be

At Freo he was a match winner, we expanded his role and I think the rivalry with his brother helped that too, he was a star at Freo and the compensation we got from saints for him reflected that
You have to see the irony with your and other posters stances regarding Hill and Meek.

We didn't have Hill through his peak years we had him in his first few seasons and he found a place in a very good team played a 100 game and was about to enter his peak years but requested a trade. At the time and even now Freo fans are adamant that they did and should have payed for what he was at the time not what he could become. Now the roles are reversed and Freo fans are demanding Hawks to pay for what Meek could become not what he is right now.....

You have to see the irony with your and other posters stances regarding Hill and Meek.

We didn't have Hill through his peak years we had him in his first few seasons and he found a place in a very good team played a 100 game and was about to enter his peak years but requested a trade. At the time and even now Freo fans are adamant that they did and should have payed for what he was at the time not what he could become. Now the roles are reversed and Freo fans are demanding Hawks to pay for what Meek could become not what he is right now.....
Most Freo supporters thought it was a pretty good deal for us at the time I think (always the odd exception). Now I’m scared to go through my own history haha.

Hawks we’re definitely generous in how they let him go but was that the O’Meara trade year? You got stiffed on a lot of trades that year in order to get O’Meara

Did Meek request a trade to Hawthorn because he sees himself as the Number 1 ruckman or the money?
Seems like there's very low expectations/confidence in Lynch and so Meeks and Reeves will battle it out for the number 1 ruck role.

Did Meek request a trade to Hawthorn because he sees himself as the Number 1 ruckman or the money?
Seems like there's very low expectations/confidence in Lynch and so Meeks and Reeves will battle it out for the number 1 ruck role.
I think we may prefer to have Reeves spend more time forward, last night at the B&F it was referenced that he kicked a goal in over half the games he played this season. Sounds like we want to have 3 good rucks in our top 30 with 2 in the side at anytime.

We weren't buying hill on potential though, we were buying a role player to come play with his brother after we fell off a cliff

Noone expected hill to turn out how he did

We weren't buying hill on potential though, we were buying a role player to come play with his brother after we fell off a cliff

Well I did and even said so at the time but I digress.....

Hawks are looking to bring in a ruck for coverage in case Reeves and Lynch go down and avoid having no rucks to choose from which did occur this season. If he moves past Lynch that's a bonus currently they are both fringe best 22 rucks. We payed a swap of future 3rds and 4ths and pies fans were saying the same stuff, best ruck not getting a game Yada Yada Yada.

Hawks are looking to bring in a ruck for coverage in case Reeves and Lynch go down and avoid having no rucks to choose from which did occur this season. If he moves past Lynch that's a bonus currently they are both fringe best 22 rucks. We payed a swap of future 3rds and 4ths and pies fans were saying the same stuff, best ruck not getting a game Yada Yada Yada.
You think Meek picked Hawthorn above every other club so he could be third in line???

Do you think Meek is stupid?

Every club supporter knew what we had and what his natural progression would continue to be as he entered his prime. We watched him break lines, run opposition wingers ragged, elude defenders, drag zones wide through unrewarded running and hit up the leading forwards to almost Darren Prichard levels of consistency.. admittedly I’d flinch on the few occasions he’d try to tackle anyone - I’d convinced myself he was going to break. We watched him grow from few of these qualities into all of them in the brown and gold. It’s why facilitating his lowball trade was such an unrewarded kick in the guts for supporters. The loss of his tools and his age at the time was one of many reasons that we dropped off so suddenly after threepeating.

Special breed of supporters down there at glenferrie.

I mean seriously ,imagine thinking meek wants to come to them ,ahead of 5 other clubs ,as to be third in line (compared to 2nd in line here already )and that the their clubs chasing a contracted ruckman simply for “coverage” in case their two superstar rucks in reeves and lynch get injured.

Honestly 🤣

Who said third in line? I said he would be our third ruck, as in the number 3, we already have 2 add one more 3. You lot are jumping at shadows. I'd think Meek would be pretty confident he would get better opportunities at a club who has 2 spots up for grabs over 1, so not stupid, actually smart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Special breed of supporters down there at glenferrie.

I mean seriously ,imagine thinking meek wants to come to them ,ahead of 5 other clubs ,as to be third in line (compared to 2nd in line here already )and that the their clubs chasing a contracted ruckman simply for “coverage” in case their two superstar rucks in reeves and lynch get injured.

Honestly 🤣
Strawman...

Hawk fans don't think he is walk up start to be our number 1 ruck = that rant...

Woah woah woah hold up. We already went through the Brad Hill trade already. Pick 22 was more then fair for him at the time, c'mon guys.
So pick 22 was fine for a well established 3 time premiership wingman and pick 24 is the request for a backup ruck who has played 15 games in 4 years

Strawman...

Hawk fans don't think he is walk up start to be our number 1 ruck = that rant...
Yeah nah your right, pretty sure what’s going on here is the old “destination”club factor is at play again for hawthorn and Lloyd like so many before him just has a burning desire to run out in the leagues most sort after guernsey.

Source: “Hawthorn set to gain Meek on a 2 year contract - a shuffle of later selections will make this happen."

Edit: Incentives likely included with contract extension beyond this, we're also paying a lot more $$ than Freo.

Last edited:
So pick 22 was fine for a well established 3 time premiership wingman and pick 24 is the request for a backup ruck who has played 15 games in 4 years
3 time premiership wingman means absolutely nothing mate. 22 was fine.

Who's asking for 24? Should be more than 49 but not 24.

Yeah nah your right, pretty sure what’s going on here is the old “destination”club factor is at play again for hawthorn and Lloyd like so many before him just has a burning desire to run out in the leagues most sort after guernsey.
Or we are offering more money and an opportunity to earn a starting spot...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back