Traded Lloyd Meek - [Traded with F2 (Dogs) to Hawthorn for Jaeger O'Meara and F4]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure where to start.

1. Meek played 6 games of AFL this year. If he resigns and plays at Box Hill he guarantees himself 0 games. Meek is looking to move for more AFL games, not less.
2. If Meek did as you are purporting, he would be the first player in the history of AFL to breach and AFL contract in order to pick up one at Box Hill, or any second tear competition. It's an idiotic suggestion and simply won't happen.
3. He's contracted for 2023. This does not mean Hawks can't get him across either through trade this your or next. They can trade for him right now actually - it's trade period. In fact, I think this is a real possibility, particularly if Freo get Jackson.
4. I understand he wants more opportunity. That's why he's exploring a trade. It has nothing to do with him scuttling his career to play at Box Hill though. He will get the same opportunity through trade this year or next if he is at Freo.

I think this is enough for now suffice to say I think Lloyd Meek will be either at Freo or Hawks next year - not Box Hill.

fmd, I can't believe I had to explain that.
My post was based on the assumption that Jackson came in, Lobb stayed and Freo refused to trade Meek and only keeping him as injury insurance in case Darcy goes down, context is important Cathy.

My post was based on the assumption that Jackson came in, Lobb stayed and Freo refused to trade Meek and only keeping him as injury insurance in case Darcy goes down, context is important Cathy.
Kind of hoping Meek stays at Fremantle due to how unreasonable they are at the trade table and their low-balling of Melbourne over Jackson.

It is not out of the realm of possibilities if West Coast down-grade their pick 2, then they would have multiple first round selections that could be used to satisfy Melbourne's trade demands for Jackson.

I have acknowledged that in my reply in points 3 and 4. Did you read the post?

Not to sound rude, but I think you need to have an understanding of how the trade period works and look at examples of similar situations. For example, there have been many examples of ruckmen leaving for more opportunities. None of them resigned to play VFL.

I have acknowledged that in my reply in points 3 and 4. Did you read the post?

Not to sound rude, but I think you need to have an understanding of how the trade period works and look at examples of similar situations. For example, there have been many examples of ruckmen leaving for more opportunities. None of them resigned to play VFL.
If you don’t understand that it was a tongue in cheek hypothetical post, you then you need a better understanding of life lad. Stop taking your self so seriously. Maybe get out of the western suburbs more and wait until you have finished school or uni before trying to be patronising. I’ve seen a lot more drafts and trade periods than a kid like you, so move along Kiddo.

Last edited:
You'd surely be backing yourselves to finish equal or higher than 2022?

Freo probably wouldn't be happy with a pick around 45.....
As I said none of this happens until Jackson. AFL wants Jackson done prime time. Then when it gets done it most likely Lobb being traded as Bullies are more likely to give up more. Meek stays for Depth one more season. Meek is a good citizen around the club, Professional. He will take it as a professional.

We have alot of experience going out and so far only Amon and kids coming in through the draft. I feel like our current ladder position was on the back of the kids not the experience so natural growth should help but I've went a year being told it's the experience guys proping us up other wise we would be bottom 4

I suppose people are just choosing whatever one helps with their narrative.

Kind of hoping Meek stays at Fremantle due to how unreasonable they are at the trade table and their low-balling of Melbourne over Jackson.

It is not out of the realm of possibilities if West Coast down-grade their pick 2, then they would have multiple first round selections that could be used to satisfy Melbourne's trade demands for Jackson.

Jackson to West Coast with Meek and Lobb walking next year would be quite the wake up call for Bell.

Jackson would be brilliant at West Coast. Kennedy retired, Nic Nat not getting younger, Oscar Allen back from a knee reco.

As I said none of this happens until Jackson. AFL wants Jackson done prime time. Then when it gets done it most likely Lobb being traded as Bullies are more likely to give up more. Meek stays for Depth one more season. Meek is a good citizen around the club, Professional. He will take it as a professional.
I can understand telling Lobb that he is required for his last contracted year due to team structure and his importance to the team. However telling Meek, ‘we will keep you here for a 6th year only as injury insurance and you can play for Peel’, is a lot different.
Currently Meek is the 15th oldest player at Freo, it’s not like he’s still a developing kid, he wants an opportunity, it would be nice if Freo let him have it. Only looking one year ahead with list management is dangerous.

Makes the most sense, Meek will likely get done next year though. Out interest won't change and he had a pick of suitors this year and choose.

I can understand telling Lobb that he is required for his last contracted year due to structure and his importance to the team. However telling Meek, ‘we will keep you here for a 6th year only as injury insurance and play can play for Peel’, is a lot different. Currently Meek is the 15th oldest player at Freo, it’s not like he’s still a developing kid, he wants an opportunity, it would be nice if Freo let him have it.
It is a business and he put pen to paper. We both know all it takes is Sean Darcy to get struck down and then Meek becomes the main man. Jackson will be playing more Lobb’s role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jackson to West Coast with Meek and Lobb walking next year would be quite the wake up call for Bell.

Jackson would be brilliant at West Coast. Kennedy retired, Nic Nat not getting younger, Oscar Allen back from a knee reco.
West Coast will need some mids to get the ball forward. They will have mid field spots available with Yao to captain their WAFL side and Gaff to captain their womens side 😁

It is a business and he put pen to paper. We both know all it takes is Sean Darcy to get struck down and then Meek becomes the main man. Jackson will be playing more Lobb’s role.
Yes I understand and agree with your sentiment however treating players this way and only looking 1 year ahead is dangerous as it doesn’t give you sustained success. What happens the year after? you don’t have a ruckman developing at Peel because Meek is playing that role and is on his way out. Freo have a great list at the moment but you have to balance it because you don’t want too many years like this year where so many players want out.
We had the same problem at Hawthorn, we would have loved to have kept Pittonet as a back up to Bigboy the last few years but as it happened Reeves was given an opportunity. Meek is the same age as Pittonet was when traded for pick 54.

How much has Benning grown this year. He’ll be your second ruckman in 2024 when Freo are firmly in their first flag window. now is that worth it just for 1 year of insurance? Trade Meek and pick up another back up ruckman, there are a few going around. The likes of Lycett, Vardy, Hickey, Simpson, Jacob’s, Hudson etc all ended up playing in GFs

Last edited:
I can understand telling Lobb that he is required for his last contracted year due to team structure and his importance to the team. However telling Meek, ‘we will keep you here for a 6th year only as injury insurance and you can play for Peel’, is a lot different.
Currently Meek is the 15th oldest player at Freo, it’s not like he’s still a developing kid, he wants an opportunity, it would be nice if Freo let him have it. Only looking one year ahead with list management is dangerous.
What we are asking for is an useful trade asset.

Pick 48 is really not a lot.

What we are asking for is an useful trade asset.

Pick 48 is really not a lot.
My posts are based on some Freo posters saying keep Meek for a year only as injury insurance for Darcy. With Jackson in that isn’t even guaranteed now. Pick 52 sounds fair, similar what we got for Pittonet and Ceglar.

Well if they aren't happy with a pick around 45, it doesn't get done. We are not that desperate for Meek despite what others may think, a pick around 45 is more than fair value imo and if Freo don't think so then I can't see the deal happening.

With Hawthorn picking up 50% of Ceglar's salary as well.

There is a lot of delusional fremantle posters on this board who think they can rip of clubs off the way they did in the Brad Hill, twice over.
We've been through this old man. The Brad Hill trade for pick 23 was more then fair, stop bringing it up for no damn reason.

It really wasn't, Hill was worth a pick in the mid-teens at the time he was traded out but Hawthorn did the right thing by him and let him go home.
It was a pretty busy pick. It was comp for Mayne, went to Hawks, then went to St Kilda who used it to pick Ben Long. Hawks sent it to Saints with other picks for Pick 10. which was used on O'Meara. Interestingly, Ben Long has just been traded for Pick 32, so it still lives on!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back