Opinion Menegola or Constable in best 22?

Who do you want in best 22?

• Menegola

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Constable

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Both

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is how I currently rank our midfielders on what they've shown so far and where they're currently at. Bolded are the players we need to get games into.

1. Dangerfield, Patrick
2. Duncan, Mitchell
3. Selwood, Joel
4. Ablett, Gary
5. Guthrie, Cameron
6. Steven, Jack
7. Atkins, Tom
8. Parfitt, Brandan
9. Narkle, Quinton

10. Menegola, Sam
11. Constable, Charlie
12. Cockatoo, Nakia
13. Fogarty, Lachlan
14. Stephens, Cooper

15. Parsons, James
16. Simpson, Sam
17. Brownless, Oscar

I have it as follows:

1. Dangerfield, Patrick
2. Duncan, Mitchell
3. Selwood, Joel
4. Steven, Jack
5. Guthrie, Cameron
6. Constable, Charlie
7. Menegola, Sam
8. Fogarty, Lachlan
9. Parfitt, Brandan
10. Narkle, Quinton
11. Atkins, Tom
12. Cockatoo, Nakia
13. Stephens, Cooper

14. Ablett, Gary
15. Parsons, James
16. Simpson, Sam
17. Brownless, Oscar

I don’t think Ablett’s body can hold up to playing an inside game for any length of time. Maybe 5 minute spurts 1-2 quarters in the odd game but nothing regular.

I think Constable just needs a typical 3rd year pre-season. Add a few kgs and builds his tank. He already has the skill and ability to find the ball.

I think Fogarty is a sneaky chance to challenge Guthrie for a tagger role too.

If we are going by past form it’ll be Sam

but CC could surprise everyone with a solid Pre season

In any case why can’t we play both? CC would be competing with Stevens and Joel imo..,
I would love CC to have a mega preseason and get into the best 22 and agree CC isn't fighting with Menegola for a spot more likely fighting with Selwood/Guthrie/Steven

Interesting to see the poll results....seems the Board is split between these two, but playing both seems to be an equally popular option....

I went with Menegola more based on him turning the corner on his finals performance this year, and taking into account his injury and recovery time required to get back to his best.

Constable, with a big pre-season, might prove me wrong which would be very pleasing...another gun in the middle won't go astray. Certainly it looks though he has plenty of talent and football nous to get the pill...

Despite the different roles, Constable may surpass Menegola in time. But I view Menegola as the better mid at this point.

There is this odd first season bias that occurs. A good example would be Parfitt. After his first season he was pencilled in by many as a future star. His second and third season were statistically an improvement on the first, yet many now viewed his output as sub-par. Menegola was considered a brilliant mature age pick after his first season. His second and third seasons were a carbon copy of the first, but strangely he was now considered a flop. Remember when Zuthrie was celebrated as the next Mackie? That was, needless to say, during his first season.

Constable shows plenty of promise, but has a way to go yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As many point out - Sam and CC are vying for different positions. If hypothetically you have to choose for a game tomorrow without considering anything else, Sam gets the nod on elite fitness and experience.

A big problem for both is that they are one paced. I have the non expert opinion that you can only accommodate one slowish non ruck, and even then they need to be near elite in other facets. Joel Selwood is ours and having another slowish mid sized player on the field raises massive risk these days.

If Charlie can build a tank and realise his contest talents, develops good defensive skills and ability to ‘counterpunch’ then I think he’s our Sel replacement after 2020. Sam probably has less upside, particularly if he continues to have knee issues.

Another of the many intriguing opportunities and list challenges to watch in 2020.

Last edited:
As many point out - Sam and CC are vying for different positions. If hypothetically you have to choose for a game tomorrow without considering anything else, Sam gets the nod on elite fitness and experience.

A big problem for both is that they are one paced. I have the non expert opinion that you can only accommodate one slowish non ruck, and even then they need to be near elite in other facets. Joel Selwood is ours and having another slowish mid sized player on the field raises massive risk these days.

If Charlie can build a tank and realise his contest talents, develops good defensive skills and ability to ‘counterpunch’ then I think he’s our Sel replacement after 2020. Sam probably has less upside, particularly if he continues to have knee issues.

Another of the many intriguing opportunities and list challenges to watch in 2020.
Nice post.
That's a few ifs for CC... you have a clear respect for his potential.
I have not seen much of CC at all, but Selwood is such a rare find, I believe there will be no replacement for him in this next decade.
Funny though as I thought the same about one of my favourites- Buddha Hocking, and yet Joel is very like him, and possibly even an upgrade.

Nice post.
That's a few ifs for CC... you have a clear respect for his potential.
I have not seen much of CC at all, but Selwood is such a rare find, I believe there will be no replacement for him in this next decade.
Funny though as I thought the same about one of my favourites- Buddha Hocking, and yet Joel is very like him, and possibly even an upgrade.

Yep, somewhat ironic of me to back Charlie in and then list a heap of conditions. Actually those conditions (skills/disciplines) are core for all players but for slowish players they need to be very good at them to compensate.

I think CC will eventually make it - whether it is with us or not depends on him, opportunities and that olde fickle friend, luck.

I'm a sucker for those who win the hard ball and get a lot of it
For that alone I'm with the CC camp
He is a tough egg
Without Joel's willingness we would have been stuffed the past few years
CC and Cockatoo would improve us dramatically in that area

MOC Blitz Henry
Kolo Taylor Stewart
Duncan Selwood Clark
Parf Rata Dahl
Ablett Toma Miers
Stanley Danger Steven
Int: Cuth Narkle Atkins Tuohy

I think it's certainly possible that they're both in the best 22. But, as the team above shows, I can also see a real possibility where neither of them is a walk-up start in the ones.

So I'm comfortable for them to both work hard enough through the off-season to displace one or two of the names mentioned here. After all, whether you're keen for one (or both) to thrive next year, vigorous competition for places in the ones in 2020 would be a very welcome development for the GFC.

The last player I’m worried about. Supposedly battling injury all year and still our best finals performer, or thereabouts.
Not writing him off.
I agree he was ok in the finals. No one doubts his courage and endeavour. Just hoping he wasn't pushing through the pain barrier or playing with jabs in those games, as is often the case in finals for injured players, because he can't do that every game.
I guess we will soon find out.

Back