News OFFICIAL: Thurlow traded to Sydney for pick 70

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, I think you're probably right. We'll use 12, 50, 59 and 60 for draftees and then 70 and 87 to upgrade Henry and probably O'Connor?
I'm pretty sure O'Connor is staying in the B rookie list for a third year

Can only have one Irish Cat B at a time. Stefan will push him out.
Looking at the CBA, it reads like that restriction has changed.

The following is from clause 15 regarding list spots for 2017, and part of the rule is that clause 15 shall cease to apply from November 1 2017
Category B Rookies include former International Scholarship players with that Club, Academy players (only with respect to Sydney Swans, Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns and GWS Giants), Next Generation Academy Players, International Rookies (including 1 x Irish), Non-Registered or not Played for 3 Years, Sydney and Queensland Based Clubs and Alternate Talent Players.
Under clause 16 which is list requirements for 2018 - 2022, or says the following:
The number of Players on the Club’s Category B Rookie List shall be not more than 3.
No mention under the current clause on restricted numbers for Irish Cat B rookies. They may still have those restrictions but thought it would be included in CBA - under the old agreement any additional category B rookies were designated as a category A rookie; so we should be able to keep O'Connor as a rookie regardless.

Looking at the CBA, it reads like that restriction has changed.

The following is from clause 15 regarding list spots for 2017, and part of the rule is that clause 15 shall cease to apply from November 1 2017
Category B Rookies include former International Scholarship players with that Club, Academy players (only with respect to Sydney Swans, Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns and GWS Giants), Next Generation Academy Players, International Rookies (including 1 x Irish), Non-Registered or not Played for 3 Years, Sydney and Queensland Based Clubs and Alternate Talent Players.
Under clause 16 which is list requirements for 2018 - 2022, or says the following:
The number of Players on the Club’s Category B Rookie List shall be not more than 3.
No mention under the current clause on restricted numbers for Irish Cat B rookies. They may still have those restrictions but thought it would be included in CBA - under the old agreement any additional category B rookies were designated as a category A rookie; so we should be able to keep O'Connor as a rookie regardless.
Superb pickup, I did not realise that was changed with the new CBA. What an interestingly specific change, I suppose the AFL must be happy with clubs trying to load up on Irish kids.

I enjoy watching the careers of unloaded cats over the years.
The staff who make those decisions must also watch with mixed emotions
We should have some intriguing times ahead checking on the progress of Thurlow, GHS and McCarthy. (Murdoch?)
(As long as one or the other doesn't tear us a new one in a future game:cool:)
Fair to say, not that many have come back to bite us.
Hamling 16, Caddy 17, and Vardy 18 are now all premiership players- only takes opportunity, and that's one thing Thurlow was realistically deprived of.

BUMP

Played a cracking good game today for the Swans.....over his litany of injuries and delivering of late.

Good luck to him.
Love this attitude. I always want ex GFC players to do well, even if it makes us wonder what if we kept them or why did we let them go. Especially the injury riddled ones.

Thurlow had potential before that cruel leg break (?), it would be great for him to get his career back on track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The type of player that he was promising to be before his knee injury is the exact type of player we need at half back IMO.

Once he did the knee though the speed and agility completely went and he looked cooked with us. Plus he is not the dour, lockdown defender that Scott likes.

The type of player that he was promising to be before his knee injury is the exact type of player we need at half back IMO.

Once he did the knee though the speed and agility completely went and he looked cooked with us. Plus he is not the dour, lockdown defender that Scott likes.

He looks to be playing up the field more. He had some very nervous games in the backline for the Swans last year.

Perhaps he is more of a natural wingman/half forward.

Love this attitude. I always want ex GFC players to do well, even if it makes us wonder what if we kept them or why did we let them go. Especially the injury riddled ones.

Thurlow had potential before that cruel leg break (?), it would be great for him to get his career back on track.
ACL. He is a top young man, and I would have loved his career to work out with us. He may never reach Grundy's heights, but at his best, he has some real weapons.

Scott loves Stewart, MOC, Henry, Bews, Taylor, Guthrie- none of these are that dour and lock-down, not a great call imho.

It just goes to show how cruel injuries can be

I can remember a Geel v NM game at the Docklands and Tayler Garner absolutely killed Jackson Thurlow - terriffic one grab o/head marks and moved like a million bucks

I thought the Kangaroos had a topline player in the making - but he just cant get on the ground because injuries wont allow it

I thought he was OK at times this year. The list spots squeeze got him. Should go back to the 2nd tier and be some chance of being redrafted in the next couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back