Traded Rory Lobb - [Traded to the Bulldogs for #30 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Lobb's biggest asset that he will bring to us is the ability to play 2nd ruck.

It's a role we have struggled in for the past 5 years. Often it costs us games. I mean sometimes it was Bruce, or Schache or Cordy and we get completely destroyed.

Tom Boyd was the one to fill this role unfortunately that wasn't to be.

Lobb's biggest asset that he will bring to us is the ability to play 2nd ruck.

It's a role we have struggled in for the past 5 years. Often it costs us games. I mean sometimes it was Bruce, or Schache or Cordy and we get completely destroyed.

Tom Boyd was the one to fill this role unfortunately that wasn't to be.
I hope someone at the Bulldogs told him that! He always seemed to resent having to play in the ruck.

I know Lobb is good.
But due to his age profile and the fact that the club that is nominated normally get the better side of the deal, Fremantle made out like bandits with this one!!

Belly certainly has been hard trader - Cerra, Clark, Jackson, Lobb...
Surely this backfires in terms of goodwill sooner or later? Can't keep getting this many wins in a row!?
Not quite sure how that applies to Clark, Cerra and Jackson. Those three and their clubs’ were stubborn to say the least.
Clark wasn’t a pick 20 at the time. Works out well in the end

I think recall Dermott as saying that ruckman have got to relish the bash and crash. Just because you are tall doesn't make you that kind of person.

That said, there are different qualities to being brave and he played through some serious pain in the back half of the year. Had the padding over the ribs.

Not quite sure how that applies to Clark, Cerra and Jackson. Those three and their clubs’ were stubborn to say the least.
Clark wasn’t a pick 20 at the time. Works out well in the end

Stubborn or not I think Freo 'won' those trades, that's why it applies.
Personally I think Clark was a bargain at 22, a young, fast paced first rounder who was always going to do better outside an older, stacked Geelong outift. I was hoping we were going to make a play for him.

Anyway this isn't a diss - I think Freo have been trading extremely well is my point.

I generally only watch Dogs games but though Treacy was pretty good the few times I saw him.

Treacy had a great debut year. Got very fit in the off-season and stripped the puppy fat. Fronted to the club with exceptional skin folds for preseason then half way through preseason had a bit of an injury lay off. Early season groin injury which took ages to heal. Then got glandular fever and lost a fair bit of conditioning. Got back to playing wafl, hurt ankle, recovered and played underwhelmingly in the finals series.

Hopefully he gets a clear run at it.

With players continuing well into their 30s. Particularly talls, Bulldogs have done well. Wouldn’t be surprised if he kicks 50 goals next year.
I don't think he will with the competition from Naughton, Marra & Weightman.

Given who we played as forward/rucks this year (Cordy, Khmais, Hannan, Stef Martin, Sweet) Lobb is a significant upgrade on all of them.
If he splits the defenders and stops Naughton from getting double-teamed we'll be satisfied.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe they should be called the Western Tall Dogs adding 207cm Lobb into an already tall forward line of their KP players up there Naughton is the shortest at 195cm
We'll probably only play three - Lobb, Naughton, Marra.

Darcy will develop in defence and Josh Bruce is spending more time in defence during pre-season.

Given who we played as forward/rucks this year (Cordy, Khmais, Hannan, Stef Martin, Sweet) Lobb is a significant upgrade on all of them.
If he splits the defenders and stops Naughton from getting double-teamed we'll be satisfied.

He doesn’t body defenders well. Lewis from Carlton had a huge number of spoils. When he’s targeted with the inside 50 and allowed to compete one on one. He’s awesome. Keep Naughton deep (no FB is leaving his side), let Lobb roam and he’ll be dobbing them from 50 with regularity.

Lobb will kick 50 next year at marvel and in the dogs attacking gameplay

We got stuffed but once we decided on omeara it was bound to happen

Dogs and Lobb got lucky that popped up

His ability to regularly rack up 100% TOG will make a huge difference for us. Will mean whenever English or Naughton have a spell we won’t take such a dramatic hit to our structure.

The irony of him wanting to just be a forward, then leaving when we grab Jackson 🙄

I’m actually a Lobb advocate and was hoping we keep him.

Good luck to him. 4 years seems excessive at his age, but he won’t get shorter.

Treacy had a great debut year. Got very fit in the off-season and stripped the puppy fat. Fronted to the club with exceptional skin folds for preseason then half way through preseason had a bit of an injury lay off. Early season groin injury which took ages to heal. Then got glandular fever and lost a fair bit of conditioning. Got back to playing wafl, hurt ankle, recovered and played underwhelmingly in the finals series.

Hopefully he gets a clear run at it.
I like the guy, has a bit of presence about him which you need in a forward target. Doesn't appear as athletic or talented as Amiss but appears to have an excellent footy brain, gets to the right spots and is strong in the contest.

I like the guy, has a bit of presence about him which you need in a forward target. Doesn't appear as athletic or talented as Amiss but appears to have an excellent footy brain, gets to the right spots and is strong in the contest.

I’m not sure the footy brain is the one wood for him.

It’s his physical presence, follow up and pressure for a tall. His long kick is also an asset. We need a mean bastard in our team. Too many nice guys. Im looking forward to Jackson, Treacy, Amiss as our tall trio. It won’t hit its straps for a few years, but should be deadly.

The worry is our future first might end up quite valuable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back