Preview Round 10, 2020: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Thursday 6th August, 8:10PM AEST *RYDER 250TH*

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 49 94.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone else not think of Saints v Suns without either remembering Ablett monstering us or DMac getting outmarked by Swallow?
I think we'll get through it comfortably enough, but if either Rankine or Sexton have a good day, the Suns will be in it til the end.
Paton will take one of them, of course. If Geary doesn't take Rankine, I'd give Longie a try. I reckon he could take Rankine's mind off the game a little bit.

It's such a huge luxury we've got now, but until we play WC I really couldn't care less who the opposition tall forwards are. Between Doogs, Wilkie and Carlisle we've got anyone covered. Ben King is in for a tough day.

Excellent. Stop the home and away season and let's crack on with finals. Top 4! well done boys we did it.

If you didn't catch the sarcasm, I did not mean we should be aiming for top 4 by Round 9 - I was talking about being there at the end of the H&A.

Get a crayon and write on a napkin.

" Dear Gil.
Crona is gunna stop the game
you need to start finals NOOOW .

Sined Al "

Before you know it , it'll happen.
------------
Despite your sarcasm, do you really think any Saints coaches or players will be going into any game not planning to win ?

GC looked cooked. We have a day longer and they are starting to waiver a bit.

Reckon we go in with the strongest team possible and look to rest for the next one.

Consistency is our biggest issue. Within games. And from week to week.

Young players never have any trouble getting up for big games. It’s the ones we are expected to win that they can be caught out if they aren’t mentally switched on from the opening bounce.

I’m backing our coaches to pick the right players to matchup against the GC but I don’t expect Ratts to make too many unforced changes.

If anybody is going to struggle to get through the short turnarounds it will be the older pair, Geary and Carlisle.

There is an opportunity, in my opinion, to rest Membrey who is struggling for form and let Battle (who should be much fresher) play his role against the GC. We could bring in another running mid into the side that way. Ross if we want the big body. One of Bytel and Byrnes if we want to keep developing our depth.

King, Marshall, Battle, Butler, Kent & Hind...lookout. Opposition can’t afford to take their eye of any of those lads.

Witts is a very good ruckman so I’d say double team him and give Abbott a crack in the middle if Ryder needs a break. Having a fresh Ryder for Geelong will be a bonus worth working toward.

In: Abbott, Kent, Long, Bytel
Out: Ryder, Parker, Savage, Membrey

Get a crayon and write on a napkin.

" Dear Gil.
Crona is gunna stop the game
you need to start finals NOOOW .

Sined Al "

Before you know it , it'll happen.
------------
Despite your sarcasm, do you really think any Saints coaches or players will be going into any game not planning to win ?

Well I guess there is some possibility of that! Payback for 1913.

Boys and girls stopping by for the first time in a while, it’s been a rough year but my god are the sainters keeping us vics sane through this shitty time...

Hoping we get the chocolates this week and really cement ourselves in the top 4.
Wouldn’t upset the apple cart too much, depending on how we all pull up I’d drop Parker for Long... wouldn’t mind seeing Bytel get his first run it’s just a matter of who for.

Under normal circumstances after a 50 point win I reckon you'd go in unchanged but not sure if any players need a rest with the short turnaround in games.
If everyone is above 90% I would go in with the same team - perhaps Long in for Savage. I was critical of Savage's disposal at the weekend but agree with the comments on here that he is a solid depth player to have and defended hard - he might be a better option for Geelong with being more experienced though.

King brings so much upside, there is no way they rest him for this game with the appeal around watching him v his brother but fear he is going to need a rest over the next few (gonna guess Geelong), then Battle probably pushes forward for more of the game.

I'd be tempted to persevere with Parker's pressure game also happy to bring Kent back in if 100% fit. We are lucky to have decent small forward depth so should be able to rotate between Parker, Kent and Lonie without too much detrimental impact.

My gut feel is that I don't think we will need to rest too many players, seems like training intensity is wound back for those playing and being in form it actually suits us just to keep getting games in instead of training. The only thing would be knocks and bruises from the games as opposed to general fitness.

Gonna guess we go in unchanged.

Consistency is our biggest issue. Within games. And from week to week.

Young players never have any trouble getting up for big games. It’s the ones we are expected to win that they can be caught out if they aren’t mentally switched on from the opening bounce.

I’m backing our coaches to pick the right players to matchup against the GC but I don’t expect Ratts to make too many unforced changes.

If anybody is going to struggle to get through the short turnarounds it will be the older pair, Geary and Carlisle.

There is an opportunity, in my opinion, to rest Membrey who is struggling for form and let Battle (who should be much fresher) play his role against the GC. We could bring in another running mid into the side that way. Ross if we want the big body. One of Bytel and Byrnes if we want to keep developing our depth.

King, Marshall, Battle, Butler, Kent & Hind...lookout. Opposition can’t afford to take their eye of any of those lads.

Witts is a very good ruckman so I’d say double team him and give Abbott a crack in the middle if Ryder needs a break. Having a fresh Ryder for Geelong will be a bonus worth working toward.

In: Abbott, Kent, Long, Bytel
Out: Ryder, Parker, Savage, Membrey
Really hope we don't make four changes to an on a roll winning team.
None of these players need a rest...short quarters and enough recovery days between games.
Why rest Membrey he is hardly suffering from leather poisoning and is too good/ important a player to drop because of form. Same with Ryder he doesn't look like he is need of a rest.
Could argue a case for dropping Parker or Savage but I reckon savage did enough to keep his spot but for a couple of moments. Actually for the little amount of real footy Savage has played I would say he performed better than should have been expected.
Would consider Parker for Kent but really just a toss of the coin.

Boys and girls stopping by for the first time in a while, it’s been a rough year but my god are the sainters keeping us vics sane through this shitty time...

Hoping we get the chocolates this week and really cement ourselves in the top 4.
Wouldn’t upset the apple cart too much, depending on how we all pull up I’d drop Parker for Long... wouldn’t mind seeing Bytel get his first run it’s just a matter of who for.
Great to see the Saints cheering up a few Melbournian's!

Imagine how depressed Demons supporters would be right now?

In all seriousness, I hope all you Melbourne people are coping alright. It's all a little surreal watching it play out from the other side of the border!

Recognising that this season is insane and
A. the risk of soft tissue injuries is immense and
B. no vfl means non best 22 guys will struggle maintain form without playing proper games for months
...is a very different thing to getting ahead of yourself i think.

I think we'd be silly to strategise as though this was just a regular season.
The selection panel have played a total of 31 players this year , so we have rolled few a few players to keep some up to speed.

Regulars who never played last Saturday
Kent
Ross
Lonie
Long

also Marsh , Roberton , Byrne that have played this year.
Hannebery and Dunstan are most probably lucky to get back into the 22 because of injury.

Going on form Hind and Sinclair keep their positions this week , Savage could well keep his position however I feel Long would be better playing after having 3 weeks off.

I really feel Ross might be left out again this week and we only bring in Long and Kent for Savage and Parker.

I really thought Ross would brought straight back into the 22 but Sinclair needs to be given a good go.

Think we need Ryder t help against Witts, against Geelong is ideal as they don;t have a solid ruckman
If Ryder right to go I would play him against Suns and Cats / against the Suns because Witts has been huge for them and play Ryder against the Cats just to give us every chance to dominate the ruck - because that is one position we should over power them , because we will need our mids to be given as much help as they can get against Danger , Steven , Duncan , Menigola , Selwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The selection panel have played a total of 31 players this year , so we have rolled few a few players to keep some up to speed.

Regulars who never played last Saturday
Kent
Ross
Lonie
Long

also Marsh , Roberton , Byrne that have played this year.
Hannebery and Dunstan are most probably lucky to get back into the 22 because of injury.

Going on form Hind and Sinclair keep their positions this week , Savage could well keep his position however I feel Long would be better playing after having 3 weeks off.

I really feel Ross might be left out again this week and we only bring in Long and Kent for Savage and Parker.

I really thought Ross would brought straight back into the 22 but Sinclair needs to be given a good go.

Not a chance Sinclair is dropped, he's one of our best ball users.

I don't see Savage being dropped with such a cluster of games someone else might get a rest like Jones for example who has had niggling injuries in the past.

Ryder for Abbot i would like to see so we get Ryder firing against the cats and so i can see what Abbots made of.

Think this is a good game to play Mckenzie or Langlands and get some fresh run..

out Ryder, Jones (both managed), Parker
in Long, Abbot, Mckenzie/langlands

Not a chance Sinclair is dropped, he's one of our best ball users.

I don't see Savage being dropped with such a cluster of games someone else might get a rest like Jones for example who has had niggling injuries in the past.

Ryder for Abbot i would like to see so we get Ryder firing against the cats and so i can see what Abbots made of.

Think this is a good game to play Mckenzie or Langlands and get some fresh run..

out Ryder, Jones (both managed), Parker
in Long, Abbot, Mckenzie/langlands
Yeah will be interesting what they do.

If guys need a rest I'd be tempted to just rest a heap in one game.

Play a full side this week, bank a win. That takes us to 7 wins, 2 away from finals.

If we have some sore bodies give them a rest against the Cats and come in fresh against the Bombers.

I don't think we'll need to though. We've got a young side and from all reports everyone is pulling up well from the shortened games.

Definitely can't afford to be resting blokes against sides we need to beat to play finals though.
We are yet to have a Bye,so that will give some players an extra few Days Rest.
The teams that haven't had Byes will most likely go to another Hub, for remaining 5 Minor Round Games,which may add some extra Days.
For mine Bank our wins.
Beat Gold Coast and Essendon over the next 3 games and we are Finals Bound.
Port,Bris,Geel,Rich,WC,GWS and Coll are certainies to play Finals in my opinion,which leaves 1spot.
Dogs,Bombers and Saints are the only other teams,in with a Chance of playing Finals in my opinion based on current Premiership Points and percentage.
Dogs and Bombers should have Tougher games than us this week,so a win for us this Round is vital.
I am going with strongest available Team.

The Saints have probably given us all their fair share of heartache over the years, but credit where its due - in a depressing year they have provided some great entertainment and something to look forward to every week in a time where there isn't really much else. Their barely even giving us a selection melt mid-week this season.

We are yet to have a Bye,so that will give some players an extra few Days Rest.
The teams that haven't had Byes will most likely go to another Hub, for remaining 5 Minor Round Games,which may add some extra Days.
For mine Bank our wins.
Beat Gold Coast and Essendon over the next 3 games and we are Finals Bound.
Port,Bris,Geel,Rich,WC,GWS and Coll are certainies to play Finals in my opinion,which leaves 1spot.
Dogs,Bombers and Saints are the only other teams,in with a Chance of playing Finals in my opinion based on current Premiership Points and percentage.
Dogs and Bombers should have Tougher games than us this week,so a win for us this Round is vital.
I am going with strongest available Team.
Also got to remember that Essendon still have a game up their sleeve against Melbourne, you would count that as a win to them which would have them on 24pts equal with us & West Coast

The Saints have probably given us all their fair share of heartache over the years, but credit where its due - in a depressing year they have provided some great entertainment and something to look forward to every week in a time where there isn't really much else. Their barely even giving us a selection melt mid-week this season.
Yep. Has given me something to look forward too during the week.
Only problem is I get too heavily invested and when we lose I don’t take it so well haha

Yep. Has given me something to look forward too during the week.
Only problem is I get too heavily invested and when we lose I don’t take it so well haha

I have to keep tempering my expectations, and remind myself that half our team from the Sydney win have played less than 60 games. Realistically, if we can make the 8, and get a taste of finals footy, we've had a fine season, and by breaking a few hoodoos, we're setting ourselves up for a massive 2021.

Naturally, if all hell breaks loose, the heavens split open and smile upon the lads from Moorabbin, we'll all take it ... but baby steps ... always remember the baby steps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back