Prediction Round 3: Changes Vs Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I’m not sure what your expectations are for the season ahead then, I mean I wasn’t sure if we’d make finals but I had us improving from last year at least and finishing maybe 8-10th or so, at the very least?
Lost today to this eagle side and we are looking at bottom 4. Bloody north bet them last week (and they look unbelievably bad this year), I don’t believe the eagles team is much stronger this week, maybe a bit but Kelly is a massive loss he is their best player at the moment.
We have some hard games coming up like GWS (who ar stacked with quality) and Carlton, Essendon at Marvel at the cats at Kardinya park.
This is the easiest game of the next 5 in my opinion. Lose today and we could be 1 and 6 to start the season.
I don’t think we are that bad
I think we just have to be realistic when we are missing 4 of our best 5 in the midfield. There are whole threads talking about how games are won in the midfield and we need to 'fix' ours. We got carved up in the midfield by the Aints last week and we have lost another key mid since then. If we win or just draw even in the midfield battle I would hope we would smash them. But with such an inexperienced on ball group I'm not sure how anyone can just expect that to happen.

To clarify, it's the smashing them bit that I disagree with, not the we should win the game bit. I'll be very disappointed if we lose and will also think we would need to quickly turn things around to not be bottom 4.

Agreed. Staggering that people are defending him here. There’s two or three more very lucky to be playing today too like Acres and Tucker and Colyer.
Maybe we shouldnt drop any of these guys in case their feelings get hurt
Not sure if it's people defending him but rather people saying he was no Robinson Crusoe. Think you'll find most of those 'defending him' think that he should've been dropped. I did. Thought Walters and Freddie should have been too.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sounds like pre-game damage control and excuses from WC and the WC media to me - setting the narrative for their Chardonnay sipping fan base. They have 7 x 150+ game players playing, which is more than any other team except Geelong this weekend. They are playing a team much younger and less experienced - we are missing all but two of our leadership team. Older and more experienced teams should generally beat younger and less experienced teams. If we win this, even by a small amount, it is still a good win.

edit - And not sure how you figure the bottom 6 thing? We have a midfield that includes a ruck with just 11 games, a debutant mid and another with just 26 games, and likely another with only 1 game under his belt. Possibly the least experienced midfield in AFL history.

I have a team stat that I value highly.
It is the number of players that a club fields each week who have played 50 or more games with the club.
I have mentioned this 50+ club game players stat a little bit before over the years.
The basis of it is that the last 24 AFL premiership teams have all had 13 or more 50+ club game players.
I believe it is a great key indicator of the cohesion, form and lack of injuries a team has.
These 50+ club game players also offer great on-field leadership that assists coaching and game plans being learnt.

Anyways, last year I was hopeful that 2022 was going to look brighter for Freo given I thought we could be starting the season with about 14 in our squad and about 10 others who could build to 50+ games before September finals.
I was really getting my hopes up pre-season with very few injuries on the radar (except Fyfe concerns).
But, once again we are suffering due to injuries and have so far fielded just 7 (50+ club game players) in both rounds 1 & 2.
Adelaide the only other team to field less with 7 in R1 and 6 in R2 (& 7 in R3).
Even West Coast have had more than us with 9 in R1 and 6 in R2.

And now today in the derby, WC will have 9 (ie. Darling, Gaff, Hurn, Kennedy, McGovern, Naitanui, Nelson, Redden, Ryan).
Meanwhile, we will again have just 7 (ie. Brayshaw, Cox, Pearce, Ryan, Taberner, Tucker, Walters).

Sadly, we all know far too well the impact injuries have on our club and they appear to be something that we once again struggle to control.
But I still think we should be making it a priority to select our 50+ club game players and invest heavily in them.
Even if it means we have more skilled talented younger players having prolonged periods in the seconds having to prove themselves.
Bringing fresh young legs in can sometimes look great when you do so and have a win with quick run and ball play, but it can also fail dismally when young immature bodies find themselves up against more mature experienced campaigners.

Long term, our list managers may need to sometimes offer overs to keep some of our talented 50+ club games players come contract and trade periods. Because something has to change soon ... I'm really tired of Fremantle still looking like an AFL club stuck in a rebuild phase year after year (this is now our sixth year since the end of 2016).

Last edited:
Not the same level of Mitch fan as you Lach but that's hard to disagree with.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
At least with Crowden we know he’ll tackle hard, I’d take 10 accurate kicks over 20 long bombs to opponents any day of the week. He’s the closest to a replacement for Serong that we have, so am perplexed he isn’t playing.

I'd take a wet paper bag over Acres.
Yeah, last week I saw his kicks in real-life for the first time, and watching from the Bank West Members' Area, I was hiding my head in my hands!

I’m a bit of a Crowden fan too relative to some of out our other fringe players. He’s probably in the spud category overall based on his performances, but he’s a “good spud” compared to some of the others. Ball use by foot is elite, he just doesn’t get it enough.

I’m a bit of a Crowden fan too relative to some of out our other fringe players. He’s probably in the spud category overall based on his performances, but he’s a “good spud” compared to some of the others. Ball use by foot is elite, he just doesn’t get it enough.
Brodie + Crowden
china test GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is the number of players that a club fields each week who have played 50 or more games with the club.
I have mentioned this 50+ club game players stat a little bit before over the years.
The basis of it is that the last 24 AFL premiership teams have all had 13 or more 50+ club game players.
I believe it is a great key indicator of the cohesion, form and lack of injuries a team has.
These 50+ club game players also offer great on-field leadership that assists coaching and game plans being learnt.

Anyways, last year I was hopeful that 2022 was going to look brighter for Freo given I thought we could be starting the season with about 14 in our squad and about 10 others who could build to 50+ games before September finals.
I was really getting my hopes up pre-season with very few injuries on the radar (except Fyfe concerns).
But, once again we are suffering due to injuries and have so far fielded just 7 (50+ club game players) in both rounds 1 & 2.
Adelaide the only other team to field less with 7 in R1 and 6 in R2 (& 7 in R3).

And now today in the derby, WC will have 9 (ie. Darling, Gaff, Hurn, Kennedy, McGovern, Naitanui, Nelson, Redden, Ryan,).
Meanwhile, we will again have just 7 (ie. Brayshaw, Cox, Pearce, Ryan, Taberner, Tucker, Walters).

Sadly, we all know far too well the impact injuries have on our club and they appear to be something that we once again struggle to control.
But I still think we should be making it a priority to select our 50+ club game players and invest heavily in them.
Even if it means we have more skilled talented younger players having prolonged periods in the seconds having to prove themselves.
Bringing fresh young legs in can sometimes look great when you do so and have a win with quick run and ball play, but it can also fail dismally when young immature bodies find themselves up against more mature experienced campaigners.

Long term, our list managers may need to sometimes offer overs to keep some of our talented 50+ club games players come contract and trade periods. Because something has too change soon ... I'm really tired of Fremantle still looking like an AFL club stuck in a rebuild phase year after year (this is now our sixth year since the end of 2016).
Underrated post.

for quite a while now I’ve been monitoring the experience of our fielded team each week, and we continue to be very young and very inexperienced. I understand people wanting changes after poor performance, but dropping experience for players who haven’t even performed at WAFL level yet isn’t really the answer.

once again today we are younger, have played fewer games on average, and have far less players with 150 hames experience (1 vs 7). Scroll to bottom of page: AFL Team Selections

Don’t be surprised if we can’t move the ball how we’d like to again. I’m expecting to be frustrated yet again.

I'm suggesting that it's taken this much loss in the middle for him to get a start.
Has he played any wafl yet? My hope going into this season is that we’d be good enough that our draftees would mature in the wafl for at least half a season before forcing their way in.

And now today in the derby, WC will have 9 (ie. Darling, Gaff, Hurn, Kennedy, McGovern, Naitanui, Nelson, Redden, Ryan,).

Long term, our list managers may need to sometimes offer overs to keep some of our talented 50+ club games players come contract and trade periods. Because something has too change soon ... I'm really tired of Fremantle still looking like an AFL club stuck in a rebuild phase year after year (this is now our sixth year since the end of 2016).

Been waiting for your 50 game update. Still frustratingly low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

One change I would like to see us make is to man the mark more aggressively.

It's kinda frustrating to see the opposition constant creep a metre or so over the mark, while when we do it we stand 3-5 metres back from it, giving them more leeway. I've been making allowances for it to be a deliberate strategy consistent with the game plan, but think how many metres difference this makes over the course of a game.

I'd also like the umpires to be a little more stringent in enforcing where the mark is. Pay a few more 50's ffs, creeping the mark strangles quick movement of the ball.

At least with Crowden we know he’ll tackle hard, I’d take 10 accurate kicks over 20 long bombs to opponents any day of the week. He’s the closest to a replacement for Serong that we have, so am perplexed he isn’t playing.

Really not sure why anyone gives Crowden a bad wrap tbh, he's an automatic upgrade on a number of players in our side atm including Walters.

One change I would like to see us make is to man the mark more aggressively.

It's kinda frustrating to see the opposition constant creep a metre or so over the mark, while when we do it we stand 3-5 metres back from it, giving them more leeway. I've been making allowances for it to be a deliberate strategy consistent with the game plan, but think how many metres difference this makes over the course of a game.

I'd also like the umpires to be a little more stringent in enforcing where the mark is. Pay a few more 50's ffs, creeping the mark strangles quick movement of the ball.
Agree, but on the other side of the equation, the opp still can't move laterally, and last week we just seemed so reluctant to take some ground and/or be more prepared to hit the 45.

After last weekend I was firmly in the camp of accepting we lacked top end talent in the front third, but that we had try be a bit more mobile out of the back third and play a more aggressive game style regardless.

Today, its a derby and I'll take a win..

We have both Aish and Acres with over a hundred games that need to be added to your list ( I don’t think it should matter if they have played for other teams) and Schultz is on 46 games so as close as.

But certainly we have a few very inexperienced players such as Meek ( but has been on a list for 4 years), Walker, O’Driscoll and Erasmus.

Personally, I am very happy to have Walker, O’Driscoll and Raz in the team as I believe they are far more talented than some of our 50 game players and must be given games if this club is to improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back