Rumour GFC 2016 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too but i am being realistic he is gone.
Vardy might still be a chance to stay simply because he could fail medicals at clubs he meets with but not kersten.

This trade week must bring in something to replace them.
To be frank i am pretty surprised a list mgt team as good as ours had kersten vardy stanley and clark all coming out of contract in the same year,it was not a good idea.

They probably thought Kersten would be satisfied with playing 17 games this year. It's a heck up of Bundy proportions. They just underestimated the risk that he would leave. They probably think that Stanley isn't likely to leave either.

Kersten leaving makes so little sense to me from Kersten's managers perspective unless he is desperate to go back home. If he says he should be a shoe in for playing most of next year. His is putting a lot of faith in Lyon selecting him next year.

Hun is reporting Mitchell is about to nominate Hawks.
putersmash.gif

Watch them somehow get both Mitchell and JOM for unders.

Hahaha Hawks paying Vickery $500k per season on a 2 year contract, surely they are taking the pi$$, what a spud.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Restricted FA. Massive $$$ makes it less likely Richmond match, with their their other trade dealings they probably need that one to be a freebie.

How will people feel if this trade period is an absolute fizzer for Geelong? Maybe 1-2 fringe players out, no-one in.

Happy to go back to the draft myself.

If we happen to land Deledio I'll be intrigued to see how he fairs in the hoops.

Doubt Richmond would have matched anyway pretty sure they wanted him gone.
If it was a low salary offer that nets them a drab pick they would have. This gets them at worst a pick in the 30s.

Anyone got the skills to mock up some pictures of:

Lids/Wells/T.Mitchell/Tuohey/etc in a cats top?

And maybe:

Mots/Vardy & Kersten in a Tigers/GC & Freo Jumpers?

My strategy.. Bring in players that can improve our best 22/25 without trading more picks , collect more picks for this year and next. I doubt the addition of more mature talent can get us all the way or that the loss of fringe will over devalue our side.

Im not looking at sole cause of our woes is goal kicking. I dont see Kersten or Vardy would have made a difference in the PF.
Motlop will not critically affect our goal scoring ability in the games that count, although he is our second best goal scorer thru the year.
My main want is to get some talent thru picks...and if we can move on some fringe players/if they want to go etc and endup with reasonable picks Id say we better long term. I doubt we will draft someone who will immediately help our forwardline.
If we do get Deludio I see him forward. .

So who we add , and who we draft will affect who plays forward. so something like

Menzel/Deludio/Cockatoo/Murdoch/Smedts/Parsons/Hayball
Linc/Hawkins/Lang/Gregson/*
Question is can we get to the games that matter without Motlop's goals?
I am rather concerned at our scoring output. Relying a lot on mids goals and then Menzel and Hawkins.
With his knees we can't be basing our structure around Menzel's presence either.

Need more avenues to goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am rather concerned at our scoring output. Relying a lot on mids goals and then Menzel and Hawkins.
With his knees we can't be basing our structure around Menzel's presence either.

Thats a very fair question.

How will people feel if this trade period is an absolute fizzer for Geelong? Maybe 1-2 fringe players out, no-one in.
Happy as long as Motlop, Kersten and Stanley are still on the list. If we lose one I'd want a young fringe medium/tall forward with potential who wants to return to Vic get traded in for a low-ish pick, around the 30s.

Deledio is a gun but we'd be paying overs for a player who's 30 at the beginning of next season, not worth it.

Very true.
Murdoch was good for us in 2014 until his form slump. Then again he's no Motlop.

Who on our current list would be the individual that will kick 20-30 goals per season?

A slight upgrade on the 34 we drafted him with.

Then its probably about as good as we could expect considering we did not play him in Sept. Although its more likely to be 39 and they keep 33..but better the PSD.
Mind you , it will be a bit galling to watch the Dogs get something for Hamling.

They probably thought Kersten would be satisfied with playing 17 games this year. It's a **** up of Bundy proportions. They just underestimated the risk that he would leave. They probably think that Stanley isn't likely to leave either.

Kersten leaving makes so little sense to me from Kersten's managers perspective unless he is desperate to go back home. If he says he should be a shoe in for playing most of next year. His is putting a lot of faith in Lyon selecting him next year.

I can only assume they thought he would stay too. I agree he is making a bad call with Freo Lyon doesn't have a great record playing young players and Kersten will get lots of opportunities here. I can only assume Freo are offering more contract years and $ and he has jumped at it.

I can understand why they didn't contract Vardy and Clark longer given their injury histories but not doing so with Kersten was a bad call. It was foreseeable clubs would try and poach him as KPF are the hardest type of commodity to draft outside the top 10 so clubs prefer to poach them off other clubs. I am not blind to Kersten's flaws but it annoys me we will get about pick 40 for him and we have a very small chance of drafting a KPF as good or better than him with that pick. Or we end up having to trade in an inferior version like Aaron Black. I like Horlin Smith but mids like him are a dime a dozen, whoever thought it was a good idea to extend his contract last year rather than Kersten's made a bad call (unless we tried and Kersten refused but that I doubt). Here's hoping we don't lose Stanley too that would be even worse.

Then its probably about as good as we could expect considering we did not play him in Sept. Although its more likely to be 39 and they keep 33..but better the PSD.
Mind you , it will be a bit galling to watch the Dogs get something for Hamling.

As I posted on the other board I think they will probably offer 39 to both Geelong and the Dogs and whoever bites first will have it and the other will be left with either scraps or the PSD, hopefully the latter isn't us.

Thats a very fair question.
believe you me his goal kicking ability is the only thing stopping me from 100% endorsing his trading out.
If he was a HBF or a back pocket plumber I'd have cleaned out his locker by now, we however need to be somewhat pragmatic here.

In the short term I believe him to be more valuable to us than what a pick can provide, sure we need to look long term but given what we gave up at the trade table 12 months ago we also need to be wary of what the team resembles in the shortest term.

If we can find a trade that nets us a goal scorer then cya Steven. Otherwise I do think he should stay next season.
Worst case scenario he walks next year then we are a good chance at a Band 2 compo for him.

As I posted on the other board I think they will probably offer 39 to both Geelong and the Dogs and whoever bites first will have it and the other will be left with either scraps or the PSD, hopefully the latter isn't us.
I think Ive seen that scene in a Batman film .....

If Freo wants to play it like that then id be almost willing to say we will suck it and tell them that we have a long memory. If they have two picks in the 30's play fair ... as I said right now Hamling is a Premiership defender..he is worth more than Kersten

Last edited:
Anyone else have that terrible feeling that we are going to do something extremely silly. Such as agreeing/pushing to trade Motlop for pick 26 (Vickery compo)?

I might just be paranoid but this is the sort of terrible trade I think we will do.

Yes, I'm hoping silly season remains just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back