Prediction Changes: Round 5 Vs Adelaide Crows + Pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure I’m in the “Lobb in” camp for this week....
If he did then he’d be replacing Meek - which requires a chunk of ruckwork.

Coming back from a knee and straight into the ruck against ROB ... hrmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I remember Lobb taking saving marks in defence, we are a bit short down there without Pearce and Hamling, could not Lobb be tried there , he is very mobile , a good mark and I am sure he would spoil really well. I know Logue can return but he is a bit on the shorter side.

Not sure I’m in the “Lobb in” camp for this week....
If he did then he’d be replacing Meek - which requires a chunk of ruckwork.

Coming back from a knee and straight into the ruck against ROB ... hrmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah that worries me too, would be typical Freo to put him in and watch him crumple in the centre square in the second quarter. Longer term I agree that Lobb & Darcy are the more potent pairing, but given how often we've played both given injuries, I'd say Meek's one of our more important squad members and his continued growth is essential to us competing over a season and into finals. Don't mind him going up against O'Brien this week if it means Lobb is healthy in the long run.

Some good points re:Fyfe too - I was a bit harsh in another thread (I said he wasn't a forward's a-hole), in retrospect I think he could actually be very effective forward, but he really does excel playing mid and rotating forward, he just seems so much more dynamic. It's a credit to his high standards that he really wasn't a million miles off having a pretty spectacular game (31 positions and 3+ goals and 6 clearances would've been 3 Brownlow votes in anyone's book) and it was treated with a fair bit of apathy. I'm confident he won't kick 6 behinds again from similar positions.

Darcy’s not a good forward. Sure he might have forward craft, be a decent mark and capable of kicking a goal (90% of the time this is enough), but he’s simply to slow. Jones slaughtered him, imagine what better defenders would do. Lobb is much more mobile around the ground and capable of halving those contests.

Darcy can definately be effective forward, but long term - your not picking him as a forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Darcy’s not a good forward. Sure he might have forward craft, be a decent mark and capable of kicking a goal (90% of the time this is enough), but he’s simply to slow. Jones slaughtered him, imagine what better defenders would do. Lobb is much more mobile around the ground and capable of halving those contests.

Darcy can definately be effective forward, but long term - your not picking him as a forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think about where all the contests he got beaten by Jones were

Think about where he did his good work on the w/end

Notice anything ?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

I didn't know anything about Bob Johnson until an old co worker said his step dad played in the Wafl and Afl. Quietly said he was in the hall of fame too. Being the nerd i am i had to quickly google.

Also told me Commeti was a big fan of Big Bob.

They are both left footers too.
Big bob was a great exponent of the banana kick.
Bob and Trizzy Lawrence presented me with East Fremantle club membership in 1965 when I made the state schoolboys squad.

Meek's TOG has been around 50%. Lobb does the same for round 5, it works nicely.

Issue with this is that Darcy tends to be very brakeable, do we want to run the risk of having Lobb have to do more then he can handle to soon?

Issue with this is that Darcy tends to be very brakeable, do we want to run the risk of having Lobb have to do more then he can handle to soon?

The same goes the other way too. Can either Darcy or Lobb play the entire game as the only ruck with experience?
If Lobb breaks down we could also lose Darcy from pushing it.

This is why I thought Treacy's spot was more at risk, even though I really liked Treacy and thought he could bring pressure of a small - I think they will still see him as a tall, but Lobb offers more as a tall currently.

Nice problem to have for a change.

Next minute, out Treacy, in Lobb.

Because Lobb would need to spend a huge chunk of time in the ruck if he replaces Meek.

Happy for him to if he can handle all the work against a bull like O'Brien.
Why? Lobb can play forward, Meek can't. So Darcy can play ruck more without it impacting our forward structure.

If they go in with Meek, Darcy and Lobb all playing at the expense of Treacy they have gone nuts imo. Treacy being able to apply pressure is why I think playing Darcy and Meek together is possible.

I've been waiting for this forward line structure all year. Please let Lobb be fit enough so it can happen. Worst case it happens next week against North at home.

Why? Lobb can play forward, Meek can't. So Darcy can play ruck more without it impacting our forward structure.

If they go in with Meek, Darcy and Lobb all playing at the expense of Treacy they have gone nuts imo. Treacy being able to apply pressure is why I think playing Darcy and Meek together is possible.

I've been waiting for this forward line structure all year. Please let Lobb be fit enough so it can happen. Worst case it happens next week against North at home.

Lobb is definitely better as a forward than Meek, it might allow us some extra rotations to not play Meek off the bench, I'm just worried about both our ruck choices being shortly off injury layoffs.

But Meek isn't in the team as a forward, he's there to allow Darcy to rotate forward. I don't think Darcy is better than Lobb forward though. So we rotate Darcy into the ruck and Lobb into his forward role, Darcy spends half the game on the bench to keep him fresh and Lobb spends most of the game forward.

As long as Darcy isn't crumpled by O'Brien, it would work better for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lobb is definitely better as a forward than Meek, it might allow us some extra rotations to not play Meek off the bench, I'm just worried about both our ruck choices being shortly off injury layoffs.

But Meek isn't in the team as a forward, he's there to allow Darcy to rotate forward. I don't think Darcy is better than Lobb forward though. So we rotate Darcy into the ruck and Lobb into his forward role, Darcy spends half the game on the bench to keep him fresh and Lobb spends most of the game forward.

As long as Darcy isn't crumpled by O'Brien, it would work better for us.
I will bet you a large sum of money that Meek, Darcy and Lobb never play together unless literally every other "KPF" option is injured.

I’d be very surprised if Lobb comes in this week & I don’t think he’ll play at Peel. Another week of simulated training for me to ensure he can ruck 20% game time.
Stick with what worked last week & even though Meek only had 50% game time, he will be vital v O’Brien this week & allows Darcy to play forward for 40-50% of game time.

I've liked Meek's work in the first month, a lot actually. But we have to look at Darcy-Lobb combination ASAP and I reckon Lobb is honestly more at risk of being reinjured rucking against a Higgins in the WAFL than Adelaide. So Lobb straight back in to AFL makes most sense, if not this week he can have another week off and not play WAFL at all. Meek back to Peel for balance but he's shown enough to be confident he has an AFL future.

JL was nervous about being too tall with Treacy in. Zero chance we roll with 3 ruckman. Fair enough too, because it's nuts.
And that's the biggest advantage of Treacy. He's a tall but one that can actually apply pressure (like the talls in good forward lines do). Shame he didn't kick his first goal at Optus but liked everything about his debut. Makes an enormous difference to our structure - forward line just needs time to gel with him as part of it. Sturt was a bit underdone but he'll build - also needs to stay in to gel.

Think about where all the contests he got beaten by Jones were

Think about where he did his good work on the w/end

Notice anything ?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
That's because he was the 2nd kpf, with Treacy in he could be the 3rd tall who sits in the pocket.

I think the best part about Meek showing he can compete is that Lobb actually has to perform or Meek will push him out. Has had a free ride too long here.
Lobb strikes me as a merc (nothing wrong with that), I think he will play out of his skin since his contract is up.

If we had a Nik Cox then everyone would be under pressure because he seems like he could play anywhere on the field - so good when you see a junior's skills translate to senior footy. Would solve our forward line and wing gaps in a single draft pick. No pressure Wallsy - doesn't have to be a rookie pick this time. Use our 2nd rounder to find a diamond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back