News Collingwood's Culture

Remove this Banner Ad

Further to that point, people have said to me "But you're short, I bet you don't go crying to the boss if someone calls you a midget"

First of all, it does hurt and if I did something about it I'd be consistently going to HR, but it totally missed the point.

The point is abusing someone for something they have no control over is wrong.
Actually, you had full control over it.
You could have let another sperm reach the egg first.

So there were actual players calling him "chimp". Jesus christ that's f’ed up. I had assumed Lumumba's issues were with people higher up the chain.
Poor reflection on the leadership & coaches to allow it to occur.

So there were actual players calling him "chimp". Jesus christ that's f’ed up. I had assumed Lumumba's issues were with people higher up the chain.
I have to admit I was skeptical when Lumumba first started airing grievances. Didn't imagine that a club could actually still be carrying on in this way

Eddie handled it very badly, and maybe the Pies are the worst, but racism at the footy is widespread and common. Look at Adam Goodes getting booed by large numbers of fans every week, for no good reason, while actual boo-worthy thugs like Jordan Lewis just went about their business.

Eddie handled it very badly, and maybe the Pies are the worst, but racism at the footy is widespread and common. Look at Adam Goodes getting booed by large numbers of fans every week, for no good reason, while actual boo-worthy thugs like Jordan Lewis just went about their business.
Andrew Jarman use to get booed every game we played in Victoria was that racism ?

Im not convinced that Goodes got booed because he is indigenous

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Andrew Jarman use to get booed every game we played in Victoria was that racism ?

Im not convinced that Goodes got booed because he is indigenous

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
He got booed because he called out a girl for making a racist comment, he got booed for doing an indigenous war dance in a game.

He was a flog before that but he never got booed.

i’ll say it again, Goodes was an eminently boo worthy player, and I booed him with gusto.

I have to admit I was skeptical when Lumumba first started airing grievances. Didn't imagine that a club could actually still be carrying on in this way

agreed. I wonder who commissioned the report into racism at Collingwood? They deserve some credit

as for players calling him “chimp” they knew just how offensive it was when they chose to do it. Gutter dwellers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agreed. I wonder who commissioned the report into racism at Collingwood? They deserve some credit

as for players calling him “chimp” they knew just how offensive it was when they chose to do it. Gutter dwellers
The behaviour that gets accepted and normalised in a group setting is hard to believe. One of the sports clubs I was involved with had an issue for a time where underage drinking was a problem. Even when there were supposedly responsible adults around. Teenagers wanting to show they could handle themselves. No one wanted to be the 'wet blanket' who spoiled the fun. Took quite a while to change that culture

I remember a story about a Carlton draftee going along to a preseason get together / drinking session. Rookie players handcuffed to a senior player and going drink for drink in some sort of hazing ritual. His dad had to come and pick him up absolutely legless with alcohol poisoning. Chris Judd and their other senior players were all there and looked the other way. No one said, Mate you've had enough

No one wants to be the guy to stand up and say, Guys I think Paul Seedsman's nickname is inappropriate or that it's wrong to call Heretier that name. People go along to get along. I wonder if after all the BLM protests though whether people will be more inclined to say something.

He got booed because he called out a girl for making a racist comment, he got booed for doing an indigenous war dance in a game.

He was a flog before that but he never got booed.
The girl was younger than me, and when it happened, I didnt realise calling an aboriginal an ape was racist.

I grew up with my dad calling players like Tony Lockett, Alistair Lynch, Ben Rutten etc. Gorilla forwards/backs. And considering by that stage in his career, Goodes played forward alot and had that size....

But it was an eye opener for me. And this girl was younger. Being shamed on national television for saying something she was oblivious/ignorant too. I worry about the psychological damage that would've done to the young girl

Then throw in the fact he dove and pushed the laws of the games to the limit. We have 2 Adam Goodes rules because of him. Though, 1 got retracted either before or after the 2019 season.

Hands in the back was due to some tunnelling he did in a pre-season game a few years ago.
And then the sliding down and taking out the legs was because he did that (though, as a 6'6'' guy myself, I did that when I played before it. So I get the logic behind it.)

But 2 rules changing the way people played.
Then his prima donna personality.
His actions on the field is why I booed him.

I have quite a few aboriginal friends at work. And love some players ie. McLeod, Burgoyne, O'Laughlin etc.

But I've only ever booed 3. Goodes because he was just a s**t person with a negative impact on the game. And Lovett and Lovett-Murray during the 09 EF. 1 because of his cheap shot, the other because I thought it was the one who did the cheap shot (So I guess one could argue that was racism)

Pretty sure I heard graham cornes the other day saying that Lumumba gave himself the nickname chimp, which seems unbelievable.

sounds like someone entering a culture so toxic, he felt that sublimating himself in such a way was how to fit in.

I can’t imagine he came up with it out of nowhere, or first. Maybe like the N word this was an attempt at reclaiming the power of the word?

all I know is that if he gave himself that nickname the environment must have been more toxic than we first imagined

But I've only ever booed 3. Goodes because he was just a sh*t person with a negative impact on the game. And Lovett and Lovett-Murray during the 09 EF. 1 because of his cheap shot, the other because I thought it was the one who did the cheap shot (So I guess one could argue that was racism)

To be fair, so did half the crowd.

Let’s put it this way, I never booed Heritier Lumumba or Harry O’Brien but I’d boo Adam Goodes again on the field without an ounce of guilt.

Goodes was and is a dick, he played like it and up to it. * him on the field.

off the field he might be very different, many people are.

sounds like someone entering a culture so toxic, he felt that sublimating himself in such a way was how to fit in.

I can’t imagine he came up with it out of nowhere, or first. Maybe like the N word this was an attempt at reclaiming the power of the word?

all I know is that if he gave himself that nickname the environment must have been more toxic than we first imagined
At my old football club we had several indigenous players and they'd take the piss out of themselves. Eg if one had a few relatives come out to watch a game they'd warn us to make sure we locked the change rooms before we headed out onto the field. I didn't think much of it at the time (was years ago) but I wonder now whether they were trying to get the jokes in before others did in the same way.

At my old football club we had several indigenous players and they'd take the piss out of themselves. Eg if one had a few relatives come out to watch a game they'd warn us to make sure we locked the change rooms before we headed out onto the field. I didn't think much of it at the time (was years ago) but I wonder now whether they were trying to get the jokes in before others did in the same way.

could be both. Good advice and cultural deprecation at the same time

You didnt play for Postals did you, they were like that there too.

The girl was younger than me, and when it happened, I didnt realise calling an aboriginal an ape was racist.

I grew up with my dad calling players like Tony Lockett, Alistair Lynch, Ben Rutten etc. Gorilla forwards/backs. And considering by that stage in his career, Goodes played forward alot and had that size....

But it was an eye opener for me. And this girl was younger. Being shamed on national television for saying something she was oblivious/ignorant too. I worry about the psychological damage that would've done to the young girl

Then throw in the fact he dove and pushed the laws of the games to the limit. We have 2 Adam Goodes rules because of him. Though, 1 got retracted either before or after the 2019 season.

Hands in the back was due to some tunnelling he did in a pre-season game a few years ago.
And then the sliding down and taking out the legs was because he did that (though, as a 6'6'' guy myself, I did that when I played before it. So I get the logic behind it.)

But 2 rules changing the way people played.
Then his prima donna personality.
His actions on the field is why I booed him.

I have quite a few aboriginal friends at work. And love some players ie. McLeod, Burgoyne, O'Laughlin etc.

But I've only ever booed 3. Goodes because he was just a sh*t person with a negative impact on the game. And Lovett and Lovett-Murray during the 09 EF. 1 because of his cheap shot, the other because I thought it was the one who did the cheap shot (So I guess one could argue that was racism)
Jason Cloke was the first player I actively booed, again due to a cheap shot.

But I had it drummed into me that calling an indigenous person an ape was wrong.

Do you think that the media has played any role in this?

It's a disgrace.

And one of the reasons Eddie Campaigner has got away with so much for so long.

We've become like the United States. If you are rich and powerful you can get away with just about anything.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back