Review Geelong defeats Port Adelaide by 34 points @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry Mad_Hatter, that isn't true. Joel was given 9. So at least 1 coach gave him 5. My guess is something like this.

Coach 1: Selwood 5, Dangerfield 4, Blicavs 3, Gray 2, GHS 1
Coach 2: Bews 5, Selwood 4, Wines 3, Menegola 2, Dangerfield 1

Not attacking you just noticed a mistake. A mistake I've made many times myself.

Dude you actually said exactly what I said just a different way lol.
I was saying either Bews or Dangerfield got 5 votes and nothing from the other coach.

The interesting thing is our improvement has followed our trend of tackles and defensive acts inside 50 improving considerably over the past few weeks. They showed the stats on talking footy i think it was as it has improved with every game so far. So our forward defensive work is starting to hit its straps.

Wow! Thanks for that D@KP! All due to young Fogarty, no doubt ;)

Maybe this stat?
86fe227cf6fa0cb165029586f4106058.jpg

Thanks frggr, about to watch the show.

So not only does Ablett not take overhead marks, he doesn't tackle :p

Hope the Dan haters get onto Ablett about this :p

Regarding the Joel Striking charge on Thomas, is jumper punching classed as striking?

Am I alone in thinking the charge against Selwood for striking Thomas is spurious?

I've watched the video a few times + cannot really see Selwood making contact with Thomas, it's more that Selwood's fists pull the guernsey up + over Thomas' shoulder, on to the grass.

Also, how about Thomas punching Joel in the face? At least Thomas was also charged with striking Joel + can accept a one match suspension with an early plea. The punch 'was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact to the head + a one match suspension with an early plea.

It happened right in front of the Umpires' bench, so they'd have 'experts' as witnesses, but Thomas' punch on Selwood was on the side closest to the Umpires' bench, + Selwood jumper punched Thomas after it. IMO.

Also, why was Tom Mitchell not suspended, but fined $1,500 for elbowing Todd Goldstein off the ball? I reckon that's worse than Selwood's jumper punch?
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/to...n/news-story/5b8efc10980827c347b2e751a3d253bd
Mitchell, without any physical provocation elbowed Goldstein. Whereas, Selwood retaliated because of Thomas' deliberate head high contact to Scooter + to Thomas punching him in the face.

AFL said about the Thomas incident that if you allow that behaviour, it sends the wrong message :rolleyes: But it's OK to elbow a player off the ball.

Geez the AFL are such Hawthorn Fan Boys!

Dangerfield was charged with rough conduct against Justin Westhoff + can accept a $2,000 fine - 'incident was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact to the body'.

Joel fined $1,500 for attempting tripping of Wingard or $1,000 for an early guilty plea.

I'm so furious that Mitchell was cleared, no doubt one of you will explain it to me.

From here

"Port Adelaide

The Collingwood fans of SA.

In South Australia, they drained a swamp to build the ‘Paris end of Port Adelaide’ but unfortunately left the people.

Dentally challenged, a Port Adelaide supporter considers their Ed Hardy T-shirt ‘Sunday best.’

They are the only supporters who wear rat-tails and mullets in a non- ironic fashion. Dad has one and so does grandma.

Consider David Koch a ‘public intellectual.’"

That's priceless Yid ;)

Safe to say Michael Christian is an absolute flog. If there was any doubt following his recent behaviour at his daughters footy match then there should’nt be any now after those Match Review decisions. Pathetic!

I was really hoping with Hocking overseeing the MRP that Geelong would get a fairer go.

Hawks must really have something bad over them! ;)

Im pleased to see this.

I was on Bewsy early days and have advocated patience - and he's copped a lot. Even before the Crows game a few years ago when Betts got 2 on him - he's worked really hard on his craft and fitness and has become a serious lock down and now an attacking option running off back line.

Good to see people recognising that. Well played.

Go Catters
Who is your replacement for Eardley? Was it Eardley you favoured? ???

Tom Mitchell intentional elbow to Goldsteins head off the ball no suspension. Actually jumps up into him. Jack Graham last week got a week for similar contact to Zorko which at least was in play. Burton decides not to tackle but to bump Higgins resulting in a serious concussion it’s reveiwed as accidental and gets off. On top of that they have given Joel a week for contact via jumper punch to Lindsay Thomas’s head in the scuffle following his hit on SS. There isn’t even clear proof of direct contact to Thomas’s head. Looks like Joel hits the ground. It’s a farce.
I'm pleased to read your take on the incidents, I believe the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching the replay; these idiots even booed Danger! He didn't play for Port FFS.
I read one comment that said "good to see the Port fans still booing Danger from his Adelaide days", and they weren't being sarcastic, it was a serious congratulatory comment

It seems they hold grudges a long time

Difficult problem to fix though. Agree with you but they have tried over the last 5 years or so but none have worked out. Who have we had? Stephenson, West, HMac, Clarke, Read, Lucey, Stanley, Smith and Abbott. Finding an A Grade ruck is not an easy task but you would think we would definitely be targeting one in the draft. The problem being the success rate and also how long it would normally take them to develop anyway. In saying that, Tim
English looks good early on but yet again he is a top 20 draft pick and I don’t think we have the currency to trade in an A grader.
The elephant in the room of your post is Grundy, who was picked after Thurlow.

I haven’t read to the end of the thread, so apologies if my post is raking over a 5 page bunfight!
No it’s not and you are right, but we along with many others missed him. We need to move on from that though if anything the continued discussion about the Thurlow Grundy draft and subsequent years or mediocrity in that position just highlights again how important it is to get the ruckman right. I do think that although we clearly got that wrong that we have tried to be proactive in finding a solution. I even forgot about Simpson and Vardy in my previous post and In all honesty we have been a little unlucky with injured players that could have been more than serviceable should they have been able to stay on they park. The ruckman are not easy to get right.

My two cents about the game.

Q1
Q1 Stats-1.png
Geelong has scored from 53% of its I50s so far this year + is ranked first.
Geelong's three goals scored from set shots with Geelong leading F50 Marks 4-0. Port is second for F50 Mark differential this season, with an average of 5.2 more than its opponents.
An efficient quarter by Geelong, but conceded Contested Possessions to Port 31-37, however Geelong moved the ball more directly leading into the corridor - Disposals 31-24 + corridor I50 entries 7-0.
Geelong won Forward Half Marks 11-9 Forward Half Disposals 53-36.
In the first six minutes, Port had seven I50s for 0.2 to Geelong's three I50s for zero.
Most Turnovers from Port I50

Faves:
Sav was really switched on from the first Centre Bounce, tackling Ebert hard, who won the clearance, the bounce of the ball was well judged by Duncan, who collecte, but his kick resulted in a Ball Up - again Sav was clever, winning + tapping to Danger, who was give a free kick. Two terrific plays in the first 30 seconds of the game.

Danger started Forward, which I like because he is so efficient at winning the one on one contests.

:hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::
Selwood - Motlop Tackle-Smaller.png
Menzel's 'Look Away' kick resulting in a Menegoala [sic]
Duncan's intercept Mark from Dixon's kick
Blitz's body work on Dixon
Scooter's Tackle on Sam Gray, who ducked/led into the Tackle - good call by the Umpire
Tuohy's Masterclass Bump on Neade
Intercept Mark by Stewart. . . Selwood to GHS, who Marked + Goal

:screamcat::screamcat::screamcat:
Danger missing a goal (OOBOTF) with Menzel so close to the Goal Square
Danger Missed Goal - Menzel Near Goal Square.jpg
Guess which foot he used?

Q2
Q2 Stats-1.png
Fogarty kicked a Goal, following a I50 tackle Geelong then led 6-2 in those type of tackles.
At nine minutes in Geelong led Contested Possession count 11-4 + led 23-12 in loose ball gets.
First two Geelong Goals came from Forward Half Intercepts.
At the 13 minute mark, Geelong retained possession from 70% of 20 F50 entries, while Port retained possession from 53% 15 F50 entries.
Geelong led 23-16 for first possession wins at stoppages.
Clearances were even.
Port led 14-10 in scores from stoppages.

:hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat:
Superb manoeuvre by Bews to run around Watts, position himself in front of Watts to take an Intercept Mark.
Parfitt played a fantastic Q2, crashing into contests, at the bottom of packs, hard tackles + excellent kicks.
Henry's Mark towards the end of Q2.
Dangerfield weaving down the Wing to avoid a Byrne-Jones' tackle.
Ratugolea kicking a goal from a non-Mark :joycat:
Kelly winning a Centre Clearance (because Stanley did nothing) handballing to Duncan, who kicked Forward.
Blitz pointing an accusing finger at Thomas
Blicavs - PointsFinger-Thomas-Smaller.jpg
Menegola tap to Bews, who tapped to Stewart to Danger with a chip kick to GHS

Dangerfield + Hartlett Collision
Scooter targeted by Thomas

Q3
Q3 Stats-1.png
Port was yet to score from any of their 24 D50 possessions.
Geelong scored three goals from D50 chains after the second Parsons goal.
Port had seven consecutive I50 prior to this without scoring a goal.
First three Geelong Goals in Q4 were from stoppages.

Great team effort from a Ball Up: Ratugolea tapped to Kelly, who Handballed over the head of Westhoff to Murdoch, who skilfully avoided a tackle, then Handballed to Parfitt, who kicked towards Danger, who tackled Jonas hard (but not paid).
The Parsons basketball to Parfitt, back to Parsons, who kicked a goal.
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/match-centre/2018/5/port-v-geel#
The way Blitz went to Henry after the Thomas bump, patted him on the back + uttered reassurance.
Love the way Ratugolea, Kelly + Parfitt support one another.
Pleased that Murdoch kicked a goal

Port applied the pressure with 55 Tackles to Geelong's 46
Thomas bump on Henry

Q4
Q4 Stats-1.png
Port has averaged 35 points per game from Defensive Half Intercepts this year, ranked third. Yet none in the first three quarters.
In the first six minutes, Geelong had the first five I50 + won Contested Possession 13-8.
Geelong scored 4.1.25 from Defensive Half Intercepts + Port 0.1.1.
Geelong has only lost once (WCE Rd3) when leading at three quarter time since 2014.
Menegola had a career-high 18 Contested Possessions, which included a game high 10 Loose-Ball Gets.
Geelong kicked seven of the last eight goals. Geelong was far more efficient F50 entries, keeping possession from 64% of entries + restricted Port to a retention rate of 45%.
Geelong with 67 long kicks + 57 short kicks. Port had just 58 long kicks + 98 short kicks - Geelong winning, with the more direct ball movement.

***********************​

What impressed me most was the way Geelong had numbers around the ball most of the time, it's been a criticism of mine for a while - leaving the man alone, no players back to compete as the opponent kicked forward, or our I50 empty when kicking forward. That structure was really tightened.

Geelong - Five Players D50 on Port-1.png
^^^ Four Geelong Players to Port's two running to the D50

Geelong - Five Players D50 on Port-2.png
^^^ Six Geelong Players to Port's four inside D50 - Geelong forced a turnover + prevented a Port Goal
NB: Screen Shots from Footy Classified, who also discussed Geelong's improvement the number of Geelong players around the ball.

Port's game looked slow, kicking across from one side to the other, moving Forward along the Wing. They were going around Geelong, kicked backwards to get the ball to the open side of the Oval. The result was Port had 69 more Uncontested Possessions than Geelong+ 44 more Uncontested Marks. Although Geelong also used the Wing to move the ball Forward, we were much more effective going through the corridor.

Also noticed there were a lot fewer 'Hot Potato' panicked Handballs under pressure.

Mentioned in a previous post the way our Defenders supported one another. In this image Bews + Wingard were unable to Mark the ball, however, Stewart took possession - Stewart + Kolo were behind play, no Port players were in the area, near their Goal Square. Terrific, cohesive team work.
Defenders Supporting Each Other.jpg

Port players
Thomas 50DE% - TOG
Sam Gray 53.3DE%
Dixon 54.5DE%

Selwood, Dangerfield + our Backline - Excellent
Duncan, Parfitt, Menegola, Kelly, Fogarty, Henry, Ratugolea,

At Rd5, Geelong is first the League for Total:
  • Contested Possessions
  • Hit-outs
  • Tackles

Q1
View attachment 487554
Geelong's three goals scored from set shots with Geelong leading F50 Marks 4-0. Port is second for F50 Mark differential this season, with an average of 5.2 more than its opponents.
An efficient quarter by Geelong, but conceded Contested Possessions to Port 31-37, however Geelong moved the ball more directly leading into the corridor - Disposals 31-24 + corridor I50 entries 7-0.
In the first six minutes, Port had seven I50s for 0.2 to Geelong's three I50s for zero.

Faves:
Sav was really switched on from the first Centre Bounce, tackling Ebert hard, who won the clearance, the bounce of the ball was well judged by Duncan, who collecte, but his kick resulted in a Ball Up - again Sav was clever, winning + tapping to Danger, who was give a free kick. Two terrific plays in the first 30 seconds of the game.

Danger started Forward, which I like because he is so efficient at winning the one on one contests.

View attachment 487535
Scooter's Tackle on Sam Gray, who ducked/led into the Tackle - good call by the Umpire

View attachment 487552

Q2
View attachment 487555
Fogarty kicked a Goal, following a I50 tackle Geelong then led 6-2 in those type of tackles.
At nine minutes in Geelong led Contested Possession count 11-4 + led 23-12 in loose ball gets.
At the 13 minute mark, Geelong retained possession from 70% of 20 F50 entries, while Port retained possession from 53% 15 F50 entries.
Clearances were even.

Superb manoeuvre by Bews to run around Watts, position himself in front of Watts to take an Intercept Mark.
Parfitt played a fantastic Q2, crashing into contests, at the bottom of packs, hard tackles + excellent kicks.
Kelly winning a Centre Clearance (because Stanley did nothing) handballing to Duncan, who kicked Forward.
View attachment 487588

Q3
View attachment 487594

Great team effort from a Ball Up: Ratugolea tapped to Kelly, who Handballed over the head of Westhoff to Murdoch, who skilfully avoided a tackle, then Handballed to Parfitt, who kicked towards Danger, who tackled Jonas hard (but not paid).
The way Blitz went to Henry after the Thomas bump, patted him on the back + uttered reassurance.

Thomas bump on Henry

Q4
View attachment 487617
Port has averaged 35 points per game from Defensive Half Intercepts this year, ranked third. Yet none in the first three quarters.
In the first six minutes, Geelong had the first five I50 + won Contested Possession 13-8.
Geelong has only lost once (WCE Rd3) when leading at three quarter time since 2014.
Menegola had a career-high 18 Contested Possessions, which included a game high 10 Loose-Ball Gets.
Geelong kicked seven of the last eight goals. Geelong was far more efficient F50 entries, keeping possession from 64% of entries + restricted Port to a retention rate of 45%.
Geelong with 67 long kicks + 57 short kicks. Port had just 58 long kicks + 98 short kicks - Geelong winning, with the more direct ball movement.

***********************​

What impressed me most was the way Geelong had numbers around the ball most of the time, it's been a criticism of mine for a while - leaving the man alone, no players back to compete as the opponent kicked forward, or our I50 empty when kicking forward. That structure was really tightened.

View attachment 487512

View attachment 487514
^^^ Six Geelong Players to Port's four inside D50 - Geelong forced a turnover + prevented a Port Goal
NB: Screen Shots from Footy Classified, who also discussed Geelong's improvement the number of Geelong players around the ball.

Port's game looked slow, kicking across from one side to the other, moving Forward along the Wing. They were going around Geelong, kicked backwards to get the ball to the open side of the Oval. The result was Port had 69 more Uncontested Possessions than Geelong+ 44 more Uncontested Marks. Although Geelong also used the Wing to move the ball Forward, we were much more effective going through the corridor.

Also noticed there were a lot fewer 'Hot Potato' panicked Handballs under pressure.

Mentioned in a previous post the way our Defenders supported one another. In this image Bews + Wingard were unable to Mark the ball, however, Stewart took possession - Stewart + Kolo were behind play, no Port players were in the area, near their Goal Square. Terrific, cohesive team work.
View attachment 487567

Port players
Thomas 50DE% - TOG
Sam Gray 53.3DE%
Dixon 54.5DE%

• Contested Possessions
  • Hit-outs
  • Tackles
You've done it again Kitty!!!
I liked the bit where you showed the players getting back and outnumbering. Was something that I noticed too. At times we looked to have more around the ball then impressively we were able to get numbers back before them.
We worked so hard.

You've done it again Kitty!!!
I liked the bit where you showed the players getting back and outnumbering. Was something that I noticed too. At times we looked to have more around the ball then impressively we were able to get numbers back before them.
We worked so hard.

Oh thank you so much Spazz!

It was superb, wasn't it? I've been screeching for so long about it! I thought our Defence played like a really cohesive 'team' + so much lurve between them!

Q1
View attachment 487554

Faves:

View attachment 487535

View attachment 487552

Q2
View attachment 487555
Clearances were even.

View attachment 487588

Q3
View attachment 487594

Thomas bump on Henry

Q4
View attachment 487617

***********************​

View attachment 487512

View attachment 487514

View attachment 487567

Port players
Thomas 50DE% - TOG
Sam Gray 53.3DE%
Dixon 54.5DE%

• Contested Possessions
  • Hit-outs
  • Tackles
Wow, that is some effort. Thanks

• Contested Possessions
  • Hit-outs
  • Tackles
Hi, Kitty, very impressive.
But I think you'll find that on the 3 items you mention above, after Round 5 we're actually 8th, 7th and 7th.
Perhaps the Round wasn't completed when you extracted those 1st placings.

But still very impressive overall.:thumbsu:

http://www.afl.com.au/stats#/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back