Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
CATS FANS REJOICE
Brad Crouch is almost certain to sign a deal with Geelong despite the recent headlines regarding illicit drug charges. The Cats will likely sign Crouch to a 4 year deal keeping him at Kardinia Park until at least the end of 2024.

Wonder which cats fans would be rejoicing? 4 years probably means band 2. Which means crows will probably match. Which means I can see Geelong (as much as I despise) trading one of our R1 picks. Rather keep our pick and not have crouch. Cameron is the player that makes a difference, not crouch

In the past 24 hours we've gone from Cameron, Higgins, to no Cameron and no Crouch yet getting Higgins. It was deflating and felt as if we were just desperately trying to add any one who'd come. Now today we're hearing Cameron and Crouch are a chance and it feels better given the age profile.

Sources on Cameron and Crouch?

If we get Cameron does that mean Jenkins delisted and Ratagolea has to make it as a ruckman and Kreuger as a defender or do we trade them out.

Wonder which cats fans would be rejoicing? 4 years probably means band 2. Which means crows will probably match. Which means I can see Geelong (as much as I despise) trading one of our R1 picks. Rather keep our pick and not have crouch. Cameron is the player that makes a difference, not crouch
I'm not sure they will match.

If we get Cameron does that mean Jenkins delisted and Ratagolea has to make it as a ruckman and Kreuger as a defender or do we trade them out.
It's not good signs for Kreuger or Ratugolea. The club has indicated previously that they see Sav as a ruckman so we might lose Kreuger.

Jenkins is on no cash so he's probably safe as a backup.

Sav is safe as he's 22 and Hawkins is 32. He'll be 24 by the time Hawkins next contract ends and hopefully ready to take the reigns. Kreuger is in the same spot, he's only 21.

There is absolutely no chance they will match. They’re about to hand him a whooping suspension. He’s not worth pick 11 even as a contracted player.

Don’t stress.

By the way the posters source was a Facebook page so take this breaking news with a grain of salt

If we lost Parfitt ...it would pull the rug out from under our feet for the dualistic approach ..while no AA kid , he is as good as we have had in the last 4 years.
He's not Rowell, for sure ... but I can't help thinking he might be a step ahead of Guthrie at the same age? To be only 22, an inch or two shorter than Selwood, and yet doing the heavy lifting (as he has been) in a midfield stacked with more experience and bigger bodies is impressive. He was AA as an under-ager ... wouldn't astonish me if he did get there one day.

There is absolutely no chance they will match. They’re about to hand him a whooping suspension. He’s not worth pick 11 even as a contracted player.

Don’t stress.

By the way the posters source was a Facebook page so take this breaking news with a grain of salt

Doubt he gets a whopping suspension. Libba copped what turned out to be 3 games and $5,000 for being found passed out in the street with drugs on him after a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t stress.

Hope you’re right. And yes Facebook has almost no credibility

They won't match.

Crouch won't be a gamechanger for us but he'll be a solid pickup if he stays fit. That's the risk because another Scott Selwood would be annoying.

At least Crouch has proven he can stand up in finals.
Menegola and Guthrie are displaying they aren't upto it.

Crouch will be 27 round 1 of next year. I don't mind it as long as we continue to play Parfitt and another newbie like Stephens over Steven.

Hope we don't get Higgins. Absolutely no point at all.

Ive only heard yesterday that we are talking to Cameron, where are you hearing he is a no? And we have also pretty much got Crouch so who's saying no on him too? Either your late to the news or you're just confused.

The mood seemed to shift a bit to Cameron going to Ess or staying at GWS, then it re-emerged that he was still in discussions with the Cats. I'm not citing any sources, I was more or less addressing a feeling around this thread.

The Crouch trade had gone a bit quiet lately I thought.

Not sure that they will. He is not wanted. So why match and get stuck with him.???

The mood seemed to shift a bit to Cameron going to Ess or staying at GWS, then it re-emerged that he was still in discussions with the Cats. I'm not citing any sources, I was more or less addressing a feeling around this thread.

The Crouch trade had gone a bit quiet lately I thought.

Ah yeah true sorry misread what you were saying, but yeah the narrative seems to change, in fairness Cameron is just speculation almost to the point where they are playing the game to get more money out of GWS whereas it seems Higgins and Crouch are almost a done deal, thats how i read it anyway.

There Won't be a trade for the difference between pick 15 and 19.

I'd say there'd be a fair few more than 20%, tbh. I for one have no problem with it, as long as they're not being kept out for inferior players.

Constable had half of 2019 to prove his case, and he has too many deficiencies to push into a very stacked midfield. Narkle, much the same. Sav has been given a heap of opportunity, and needs to get some confidence and goal-kicking practice in/built up before he becomes a regular fixture in the side. Hell a 4 x B + F in Steven can't even guarantee his place in our side, so fringe players shouldn't be complaining too much. Clark has been injured a lot and hasn't had much continuity, but he'll get a fair run at it next year if he sticks it out (he played nearly every game last year). Kreuger will also get his shot as a third tall. Jenkins is just insurance. Fog got given a few games, and then had a couple of bad games so was rightly dropped. It's all a bit hysterical for mine, lol. It's not like these kids are all highly touted/rated and are being kept out by plodders. Close kept himself in our side and was only pushed out by arguably the greatest player of our generation. Simpson was embedding himself after showing some really good improvement - and then copped an injury.

I've mentioned this before, but, all of these players are all in the convo for Best 22, playing regularly (more than 10 games over the past 2 years) and have been drafted by us in the last 5 years:

Henry
O'Connor
Parfitt
Atkins
Stewart
Miers
Clark
Menegola
Ratugolea

Nearly every draftee who has shown something, has been given a shot since we picked them up. Kreuger has had his injuries and Stephens and SDK will most likely get their shot next year. If Higgins, Cameron and Crouch all were to come, then the onus would be on those fringe players to push out others. Tuohy, Bews, Henry, Kolo, Parfitt, Atkins, Close, Rata, Miers, Dahl, Rohan, Steven etc. the list goes on of players that aren't world-beaters and could be pushed out by players who pushed past them and took their spot - through hard work, skill improvement, and application.

I just don't buy the argument that bringing in players from other clubs 'robs' these players of opportunity - as they have all been given an opportunity and not done enough with it when given their shot. Clark, Kreuger, Fogarty, Close, Simpson and Rata are the only kids/youngish ones that I think are actually good enough at this point in time (2019 draft excluded). The others are just fringe players, and haven't proven otherwise despite numerous chances. Nearly every 2019 first round draft pick has been in the twos this year bar a handful of them. Too much impatience these days from new draftees. There'll be a heap of retirements over the coming years, and those who are good enough will get ample opportunity - even with outside acquisitions
While there might well be a heap of retirements, that might be offset by imports, and I feel like people are over-rating possible gets (including Cameron, who has not been great this year and hasn't been getting better for some time).

Here's a list of inward trades and FA acquisitions for about the last 30 years. The Cats big intrading periods were the 90s (23 players) and since 2012 (17 players). Although our hit rate on delistings and trades out is very, very, very good, there aren't many names on this list of players who came from other clubs who stand out as highlights: Ottens, Dangerfield, for sure, for both of whom we paid a pretty high price (worth it - 'yer git what yer pay for'). Mooney, Harley were also crucial but cheap. So over thirty years ... how many genuine bargains?

1988: Ken Hinkley
1989: Gary Keene, Trevor Poole
1991: John Barnes, Geoff Miles
1992: Liam Pickering, Darren Steele, Leigh Tudor (all from North for pick 123)
1993: Aaron Lord
1994: Brenton Sanderson, Brad Scholl
1995: Martin McKinnon
1996: Tim Hargreaves, Cameron Roberts, Hamish Simpson
1997: Brett Spinks
1998: Jason Mooney, Scott Bamford, Tristan Lynch, Simon Arnott, Tom Harley
1999: Cameron Mooney
2000: Kent Kingsley, Justin Murphy, Mitchell White
2001: Brent Grgic
2003: David Haynes, David Loats
2004: Brad Ottens
2009: Marcus Drum
2012: Hamish McIntosh, Josh Caddy; FA Jared Rivers
2014: Mitch Clark, Rhys Stanley; FA: Sam Blease, Scott Selwood
2015: Patrick Dangerfield, Lachie Henderson, Zac Smith
2016: Zac Tuohy, Aaron Black
2017: Gary Ablett
2018: Gary Rohan; Luke Dahlhaus FA
2019: Jack Steven, Josh Jenkins

i don't think the years has that much to do with the band .. its the base payment. ..if the base payment is enough to put him into the top 5% of FA aged players it will be B1 , if its in the top 5% to 15% B2

So it gets down to what we are going to pay him .... for me we have our offer based on him being FA... if we have to trade .. then our offer should be reduced. Crouch should be as helpful as what saad appears to be towards Carlton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back