Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody has ever matched a free agent for any reason other than forcing a trade. There's no way we're trading a first rounder for McGrath so they're not matching band 2. And if we finish well above them they won't match band 3 either.

Essendon will match mcgrath for the same reason they would have matched daniher if he was band 2-which is why brisbane dodgied the offer to get it to band 1. Unfortunately i think the afl have closed that loophole now. I agree we wont trade for him but they will match band 2 or 3 (it wont get to that stage he will stay).

If Bews isn't back in the team by mid-year, does he get leant on to develop an achilles issue that pings him for the year...?

Potentially but it would depend on whether theres someone in the MSD pool that we want that badly enough. (Bews could also retire early to open an MSD spot thats happened before).

Potentially but it would depend on whether theres someone in the MSD pool that we want that badly enough. (Bews could also retire early to open an MSD spot thats happened before).
I can't see him retiring early. Grigg is the only example and he was battling injury & passion to continue, plus the Tiges looked a mile off it at the time.

If we look like contending in another 6 weeks time, you'd be mad to retire if you're Bewsy.

He'd be one Max Holmes hamstring scenario in defence away from potentially being this year's Parfitt or MOC.

I can't see him retiring early. Grigg is the only example and he was battling injury & passion to continue, plus the Tiges looked a mile off it at the time.

If we look like contending in another 6 weeks time, you'd be mad to retire if you're Bewsy.

He'd be one Max Holmes hamstring scenario in defence away from potentially being this year's Parfitt or MOC.

Tipungwuti and lynch (nm) all retired early to allow msd picks and theres been other examples.

Regardless i take your point but it would take a lot of injuries for him to get back in.

In your holmes scenario one of our many mid options like clark or knevitt or even parfitt would go in before him. Bews would need stewart or zuthrie to go down to be any realistic chance of getting back in (or maybe kolo but we would likely replace kolo with a tall).

Apparently Scott Gullen said on Fox Footy during the week that we are getting closer to a deal with Holmes… his manager met with Mackie again this week and both parties have put proposed terms on the table.

It seems to me that things would have to completely collapse for him to leave from here which is great news.

Apparently Scott Gullen said on Fox Footy during the week that we are getting closer to a deal with Holmes… his manager met with Mackie again this week and both parties have put proposed terms on the table.

It seems to me that things would have to completely collapse for him to leave from here which is great news.

Let's hope so. He is probably the most important player on our list on a long term viewpoint right now.

The talk about the mid season draft stuff I don’t really think is that relevant if we are contending anyway. Very few players become anything more than depth players and the only handful of guys that look like have long careers are taken in the first couple picks each year. Pickett one of the few exceptions but I think he was fortunate he ended up at the tigers. Probably could of been out of the league if he was at another club.

It sounds crazy but bare with me.

Does anyone genuinely think Mackie and/or Wells hasn't been on the phone to Harley Reid and/or his management at some point already?

Read a bit on the Eagles board, and supposedly his body language is already looking like a guy who doesn't want to be there. Hands on hips, rolling his eyes sort of stuff.

It's bloody unlikely...but JHF leaving Norf looked bloody unlikely in March of 2022 as well, and that guy slept in draft day Norf jumper.

We've got the cap space and picks without an obvious target outside of Smith...you just never know.

Does anyone genuinely think Mackie and/or Wells hasn't been on the phone to Harley Reid and/or his management at some point already?

Read a bit on the Eagles board, and supposedly his body language is already looking like a guy who doesn't want to be there. Hands on hips, rolling his eyes sort of stuff.

It's bloody unlikely...but JHF leaving Norf looked bloody unlikely in March of 2022 as well, and that guy slept in draft day Norf jumper.

We've got the cap space and picks without an obvious target outside of Smith...you just never know.
Fully expect us to try, wasn't he a cats fan growing up

Fully expect us to try, wasn't he a cats fan growing up
Cats nuffie supposedly, and a country boy to boot. It's why staying near the top is so important for us.

It makes the Henrys, Bruhns, Bowes, & potentially Reids of the world turn their heads and think 'what if?'.

Get to live the lifestyle I have growing up, play for my childhood club, and play big finals at the 'G.

I imagine that's what we'd be going with to him right now, and it shouldn't take much convincing if the Eagles continue their form.

FWIW, most of them are already accepting that he's leaving at some point...it's just whether it's year 1, 2, 3...6 or whatever it may be.

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/95f35c33-12de-4c1f-886c-9a3b61827673

"Obviously I'm a Geelong man, so I've always loved Tim Kelly and Jamaine Jones, like when they went through Geelong," Reid told media at Perth Airport on Friday

I would expect we'd touch base with his manager, but I expect we touch base with most managers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did Port cough up for Horne-Francis? Would be relatively similar you’d think.

Port got very lucky that wce wanted to do a poor 3 way deal to help them.
I dont see that happening again.

Honestly i think wce will simply refuse to trade him until 2026 anyway.
By then he will be worth 2 top 10 picks plus maybe more imo.

What if he completely busts?
Form, injury etc
Go home factor, mental stress...

If he loves Jamaine ******* Jones - or better yet - even knows who Jamaine Jones is, then he was born to play for the Cats.

Every chance that Harley was a poster on this very board with that kind of nous.

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

By then he will be worth 2 top 10 picks plus maybe more

His value probably won’t alter regardless of whether they trade him this year or next. Two top 10 picks sounds about right.

Can only try regarding Reid.

West Coast will gets smashed most weeks so it won’t be a fun place to be at.

Doubt it happens but a couple of #1 picks have left interstate teams to return to their home state after just one year of being drafted.

Boyd and JHF.

It’s a bummer they changed the rule to 3 year contracts for first rounders.

Not sure what we’d be able to offer capital wise to even move the needle.

2x first rounders 1x second rounder 1x third rounder + Edwards… that’s probably not getting it done with 2 years on his contract but you can only try.

What did Port cough up for Horne-Francis? Would be relatively similar you’d think.
We'd need to have a gws bail us out because without them the jhf trade doesn't happen.

I think a lot of tables will be reset when Tassie starts adding players. Something to allow it could get thrown up in the chaos. Would need to put the work in now. 4 trade periods of "Hey Harley, what you up to at the moment? Just thinking of you, hope you're thinking of us. Drop by anytime" from our list managers

If he loves Jamaine ******* Jones - or better yet - even knows who Jamaine Jones is, then he was born to play for the Cats.

Every chance that Harley was a poster on this very board with that kind of nous.

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.
May have had to learn his name when he met him at the Eagles

We'd need to have a gws bail us out because without them the jhf trade doesn't happen.

I think a lot of tables will be reset when Tassie starts adding players. Something to allow it could get thrown up in the chaos. Would need to put the work in now. 4 trade periods of "Hey Harley, what you up to at the moment? Just thinking of you, hope you're thinking of us. Drop by anytime" from our list managers
Or we'd need to give up someone of value.

The hardest part - Like it would have been for Norf - is convincing your players to go there.

Norf asked for one of Butters, Bergman, and somebody else (I forget, might have been Sinn) to get around the extra first round pick, and Port couldn't convince any of them to go.

I feel like we'd have similar problems in convincing an established player and/or promising young talent.

They're a great club, but seriously look 5 years off even being decent. No player voluntarily wants that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back