Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be picking over the Richmond carcass to see if any of the quality players want out given how poor the future looks for them.

I'd be very keen on any of Short, Rioli, Baker or Balta at the right price. But only Baker is out of contract so it's not very likely.
Balta and SDK at defence, and we are set for the next 10 years... oh i just had to say that lol, seems to be the standard thingy we say.

But in all honesty, then you can develop Neale and COS as the key forwards. Just get gun mids then

The guy is a repeat offender when it comes to how he treats women. He's absolutely a dickhead.
You might have noticed the word "still" in there. It's kinda important.

You're right, he's undoubtedly a dickhead right now.

...but this hypothetical is obviously under the guideline that he's undergone counseling, learnt from his actions, and is ready to be a functioning member of society before we're even talking football with him. That comes later.

We'd be negligent if we went about it otherwise, and we all know that's not how our club operates.

Balta and SDK at defence, and we are set for the next 10 years... oh i just had to say that lol, seems to be the standard thingy we say.

But in all honesty, then you can develop Neale and COS as the key forwards. Just get gun mids then
I've got a feeling we'll see one of SDK or COS trialled as key forwards at some point regardless.

They are just so hard to find that if one of them has potential to be elite at it, you'd be negligent not to try it.

If it doesn't work, just throw them back where they belong.

Signing Taryn Thomas to an AFL contract straight up would be completely negligent. I doubt anybody goes near him.

If he wants to change I'd work with him to find a job in Geelong and be on our VFL list but that would require a heap of buy in on his part. And then after a season in the VFL if he's done everything right off the field then consider signing him.

You might have noticed the word "still" in there. It's kinda important.

You're right, he's undoubtedly a dickhead right now.
I really admire your commitment to rehabilitation and withholding judgement, put it that way.

Sexual harassment (and God only knows how far it actually goes in his case) is one of those things where it's very difficult to draw a curtain on it, because it's so hard to prosecute - and so it's very hard to say that someone has done their time and wiped that slate. Andy Krakouer committed assault, for example, but did time in the Big House and rightly got another crack at society, unencumbered. This is very different.

I really admire your commitment to rehabilitation and withholding judgement, put it that way.

Sexual harassment (and God only knows how far it actually goes in his case) is one of those things where it's very difficult to draw a curtain on it, because it's so hard to prosecute - and so it's very hard to say that someone has done their time and wiped that slate. Andy Krakouer committed assault, for example, but did time in the Big House and rightly got another crack at society, unencumbered. This is very different.
I agree totally, but I do believe in second chances...and I don't believe in judging a situation where I don't know the full details.

I don't know Tarryn Thomas's backstory. Maybe he is just a bad egg...but in my experience those who commit the actions he has, very rarely do it without prior trauma or reason.

Would that excuse his actions? Hell no...but it might explain why he is the way he is.

Don't get me wrong, there are people out there who are just born bad...but they're certainly in the minority.

If he's committed to changing, then who are we to judge? That's one of the most powerful things a person can do IMO.

Signing Taryn Thomas to an AFL contract straight up would be completely negligent. I doubt anybody goes near him.

If he wants to change I'd work with him to find a job in Geelong and be on our VFL list but that would require a heap of buy in on his part. And then after a season in the VFL if he's done everything right off the field then consider signing him.

I don't want him under any terms, absolute cancer

I haven't really seen anything in COS to suggest he's a forward. Others might disagree

I've got a feeling we'll see one of SDK or COS trialled as key forwards at some point regardless.

They are just so hard to find that if one of them has potential to be elite at it, you'd be negligent not to try it.

If it doesn't work, just throw them back where they belong.
I think you will see COS will be our next Blitz.. I think he will play from Def,MID-RUCK ,FWD

I agree totally, but I do believe in second chances...and I don't believe in judging a situation where I don't know the full details.
Unfortunately he's a recidivist. Already in big trouble for sexual assault allegations, he was going through an education and rehabilitation program when he started sending violent threats to yet another woman.

I don't know Tarryn Thomas's backstory. Maybe he is just a bad egg...but in my experience those who commit the actions he has, very rarely do it without prior trauma or reason.
Yes, it's been alluded to that he has gone through tough circumstances and it's definitely a factor.
If he's committed to changing, then who are we to judge? That's one of the most powerful things a person can do IMO.
The issue I have is that he has committed to change before, at least on the surface, and not changed. It seems pretty clear that the adulation and the salary of being in the AFL aren't good for him. People can reform from this kind of behaviour, but it takes bottoming out and years of effort, a choice that isn't really available to him in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It depends on what you are looking for. There has always been a shortage of KPFs, Ruckman have been in short supply since the sub rule since they couldn't carry the understudy in the 22 for 3-4 years. Not many Dangers but no shortage of Harmes.

Clubs don't tend to draft looking for a player to fill out the 18-22 spot on their list. They draft a kid with attributes spend 3 years developing them hoping they'll turn into something resembling the elite. I think there are plenty out of the AFL who could be plug in and play for minimal investment without looking out of place, we're seeing it every year with SPP but there is a perception that they have minimal chance to become elite. Solid players look a lot better in better teams than worse ones. How would Atkins and Close look playing for WCE? How would Greg Clark have looked playing for us? These mature aged recruits used to be so valuable, 180k for 22 games every if it was below average output it was still a steal.

I like the Atkins test, when we brought him in he was the definition of a replacement player. 100 games letter he isn't that anymore but consider how Parfitt went last week give how bog standard he was last year in the VFL.

I'm generally of the view the wrong player for the right price. Last year we really struggled to get our hands on the ball without Dangerfield. We'll need something above replacement level otherwise we'll find out exactly how good some of our premiership players truly are.

Nice thoughts Lana. I feel a couple of our young mids are that development group. How good will they be evnetually . Not sure but we hope elite. We have had big win with Bruhn , and it shows the advantage of "draft trading" ... trading in a kid that is still very young has that 2 or 3 years already in him. You have seen him play at the level , has been in an afl enviorment and probably has lost valaue as they have looked "less" in a more talented comp. If we are going to trade in a player ..Id certainly say I like this type of arrangement. Bruhn will end up being a bargain... if we could find another couple like him it would quickly help thicken our mid group.

I have seen post linking us to the 2020 draft. If we think we could grab a Perkins or even Philips (who im not sure on) then maybe thats something we should look at.

Who are you thinking about? Players that would be in the 20-30 range on our list?
No non walk up best 22 players.

No failed first rounders that other clubs are happy to lose… Dylan Stephens, Fin Macrae, Will Phillips types… unless they come cheap as chips (late draft pick).

Deep down I just want quality and a “sure thing” if we are giving up anything of value… but it’s not always a possibility, so fingers crossed.

I haven't really seen anything in COS to suggest he's a forward. Others might disagree

Id have to say that its a rare draftee that has played in d in the juniors that then becomes a forward. It seems far more likely to go the other way..as mostly the put the more talent kids near goal. Yet I believe that players will show different attributes in the afl system. He will probably get a go there at some stage and we will see I guess.

No non walk up best 22 players.

No failed first rounders that other clubs are happy to lose… Dylan Stephens, Fin Macrae, Will Phillips types… unless they come cheap as chips (late draft pick).

Deep down I just want quality and a “sure thing” if we are giving up anything of value… but it’s not always a possibility to, so fingers crossed.

Sure things are a tough ask but understand your logic ... as if Fred Farkle is not best 22 at Gold Coast ..then what makes you think he is best 22 at Geelong. Id say that you would need to look at the profile at the club , injury history, sal cap issues etc to see if a player can change his story.

Over the years we have done it , especially with defenders. We had a lot of success with MGrath and Sanderson and Harley etc.. but you could also quickly fill your list with suet , just clogging it up with talent that mores you as a middle nothing club.

My thought is Im willing to bring in fringe best 22 if they are still young and developing ..like with Bruhn or Henry etc. As I see it not much different than drafting a kid but once a player is in that mid 20's you woud want to bring in players that are best22.. and indication of that is they best be best 22 at their current club

If we are looking at the 2020 draft ..its now on the edge of moving from young and developing to being wysiwyg.

Philips as a late pick ..id I guess thats worth a gamble. Not sure on whether we should add another shortish mid ..but if he has pace etc then yes .. but id not be giving anything of significance as he has not been playing best 22. Fin Macrae id be more interested, however If he is not playing at the Pies then why does he get a game with us.

Perkins would cost at lot but I feel he would be an ideal add. He looks to have done his apprenticeship and is ready to be a regular contributor. Thats probably makes him difficult to move, and Ess would not make acquiring him easy.

Last edited:

Id think a club like the Saints would offer him a chance but for us id prefer to look at other options

Id have to say that its a rare draftee that has played in d in the juniors that then becomes a forward. It seems far more likely to go the other way..as mostly the put the more talent kids near goal. Yet I believe that players will show different attributes in the afl system. He will probably get a go there at some stage and we will see I guess.

I think that has more to do with the average investment cost into a prospective KPF than a KPD.

The KPD to KPF conversion does happen both from an U18 ( Think Tom Lynch was one) and in the AFL (Tom McDonald ... what is it with the Toms)

Nice thoughts Lana. I feel a couple of our young mids are that development group. How good will they be evnetually . Not sure but we hope elite. We have had big win with Bruhn , and it shows the advantage of "draft trading" ... trading in a kid that is still very young has that 2 or 3 years already in him. You have seen him play at the level , has been in an afl enviorment and probably has lost valaue as they have looked "less" in a more talented comp. If we are going to trade in a player ..Id certainly say I like this type of arrangement. Bruhn will end up being a bargain... if we could find another couple like him it would quickly help thicken our mid group.

I have seen post linking us to the 2020 draft. If we think we could grab a Perkins or even Philips (who im not sure on) then maybe thats something we should look at.

In principle I'm not the biggest fan of going for trading in a 21 year old from another club as you can incur a premium (draft picks wage) relative to their output. I saw our recruitments as getting what we could not necessarily what we wanted. If we got Hopper we wouldn't have got Bruhn etc. We did however need to prop up a larger group of developing players, it is fortunate that is going near as good as possible.

I'm always going to be a fan of the mature aged recruit from the 2nd tier, free value, even if changes to the Collective Bargaining agreement have increased the earning potential of those types of players in year 1 and 2 if you can't get them via the rookie draft.

Every year these kinds of players show up on the BigFooty boards two to three years after they were drafted, and almost every year it's a bad idea. Matthew Ling from Sydney was the one that comes to mind for me.

But overall, it's worth noting that there are plenty of early draft picks who fail at their first clubs, move to a second on the cheap, and don't make any inroads there either. There are so many Josh Schache, Jono O'Rourke, Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls, Jarrod Brander, Callum Coleman-Jones types, and I suspect that Cooper Stephens will go the same way.

I think that has more to do with the average investment cost into a prospective KPF than a KPD.

The KPD to KPF conversion does happen both from an U18 ( Think Tom Lynch was one) and in the AFL (Tom McDonald ... what is it with the Toms)

In principle I'm not the biggest fan of going for trading in a 21 year old from another club as you can incur a premium (draft picks wage) relative to their output. I saw our recruitments as getting what we could not necessarily what we wanted. If we got Hopper we wouldn't have got Bruhn etc. We did however need to prop up a larger group of developing players, it is fortunate that is going near as good as possible.

I'm always going to be a fan of the mature aged recruit from the 2nd tier, free value, even if changes to the Collective Bargaining agreement have increased the earning potential of those types of players in year 1 and 2 if you can't get them via the rookie draft.

Maybe we were lucky to have not got what we wanted. A little denial of instant gratification has enabled us to have to better outcome. I see the recruitment of the "21" value as often their trade value is less than the original draft range. Bruhn, Henry etc were all acquired for less than draft value. Yes wages will be higher but im not concerned about that. Pay them what is required to acquire them

The free agents list is looking a little thin. Balancing that against clubs with talent coming in .... is Jarred Berry getable? RFA so they probably match anything less than a very good offer.

Brisbane have again more aligned talent coming in ..with Ashcrofts brother and another kid. They will need points. Be nice to try to work on them for their R1 pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back