Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

As per this, Merrick has re-signed for 2 years - waiting on confirmation from the club

CAT SIGNS ON

MARK O'Connor's time down under will continue for at least another two seasons after the Irishman secured a contract extension this week.

The County Kerry product arrived in Geelong in 2016 and will now remain at GMHBA Stadium until at least the end of 2026.

O'Connor and Irish games record holder Zach Tuohy joined Tadhg Kennelly as the only players from the Emerald Isle to win a premiership when the Cats went all the way in 2022.

The 27-year-old has become a permanent fixture under Chris Scott in the past five seasons, playing at least 20 games in four of those campaigns to sit on 111 games.

Only six other Irishmen have reached the century, with Tuohy (272) surpassing Jim Stynes' long-standing record of 264 appearances last year. Kennelly (197), Pearce Hanley (169), Sean Wight (150) and Conor McKenna (106) are the others to hit triple figures.

Decent squad player so i am ok with this for depth. I am assuming kolo will get offered the same deal. Parfitt is probably the odd man out though there and i doubt he stays.

Does anybody think we would try to get Hopprr from Richmond?
If so, how high a Pick would we give up to get him, assuming we pay all his salary.
I realise it is unlikely for many reasons, but thought I would ask anyway.
He rick rolled us twice.

Wouldn’t touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Honestly would prefer TT over him.

Hard pass for a few reasons.

Does anybody think we would try to get Hopprr from Richmond?
If so, how high a Pick would we give up to get him, assuming we pay all his salary.

If we're paying his entire salary they'd need to ship us a good draft pick.

Does anybody think we would try to get Hopper from Richmond?
No thanks. Would rather go draft myself. Unless they give us draft picks and multiple high picks.

I do find it a bit sad that other clubs have free wheeling Irish speedsters but we use their athletic attributes to turn them into dour defensive chess pieces for CS. It is effective and perhaps the best way of eeking out the maximum football ability from the Irish players that we have but yeah the approach is certainly different to Irish players developed elsewhere in the league.
Weird, there’s only been 3 Irish premiership players and we have 2 of them. Touhy has always been freewheeling. Oisin will develop as a lock down defender who will rebound with speed. Could already see him doing that against the crows, got into good positions but was missed on the overlap.
I think the cats do a great job with the Irishmen

Does anybody think we would try to get Hopper from Richmond?
* no.

And he bailed on us for better $$ once already.

His choice. Good for him but no interest.

GO Catters

* no.

And he bailed on us for better $$ once already.

His choice. Good for him but no interest.

GO Catters
Remember a few years earlier he re-signed with GWS after it was considered he was coming to us.

Pulled the same move with the Tiges.

Fool me once shame on you.
Fool me twice shame on me.
Fool me three times and you can rot at the Tigers.

Stuff That Guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be picking over the Richmond carcass to see if any of the quality players want out given how poor the future looks for them.

I'd be very keen on any of Short, Rioli, Baker or Balta at the right price. But only Baker is out of contract so it's not very likely.

Weird, there’s only been 3 Irish premiership players and we have 2 of them. Touhy has always been freewheeling. Oisin will develop as a lock down defender who will rebound with speed. Could already see him doing that against the crows, got into good positions but was missed on the overlap.
I think the cats do a great job with the Irishmen
Don't forget like the 5 women in our AFLW team we have plus adding another this offseason.
Geelong weather and culture definitely embraces the Irish ☘️

Only if the Tigers paid half his salary and gave us a top 10 pick
They won't and if they do they are idiots.

They need a minimum of 3 years at the draft. With Lynch & Dusty approaching the end, and their next few years of investments being almost exclusively youth, their cap will be the least of their issues.

The Suns deal was so unique because they already had incredible youth...but their cap was ****ed, so they could afford to lose a top 10 pick to fix it.

Most clubs can't afford that, especially Richmond who have the worst young prospects in the league.

If they are to get rid of Hopper or Taranto, I'd say they'll try the opposite method (E.g they pay the entire salary, but receive a decent pick in return), because god knows they need it.

A bit like what Hawthorn where trying a couple years ago when they put all of Wingard, Breust, O'Meara, & Mitchell up for sale to the highest bidder.

I don't actually mind young Timothy but that ain't happening

Or did you mean Tarryn?
I'd take Thomas over Hopper even if the caveat was Thomas potentially never plays AFL football again.

Hopper is just awful, with an albatross of a contract.

For all of TT's issues, at least he'd be free. If he's still a dickhead just get rid of him.

They won't and if they do they are idiots.

They need a minimum of 3 years at the draft. With Lynch & Dusty approaching the end, and their next few years of investments being almost exclusively youth, their cap will be the least of their issues.

The Suns deal was so unique because they already had incredible youth...but their cap was ****ed, so they could afford to lose a top 10 pick to fix it.

Most clubs can't afford that, especially Richmond who have the worst young prospects in the league.

If they are to get rid of Hopper or Taranto, I'd say they'll try the opposite method (E.g they pay the entire salary, but receive a decent pick in return), because god knows they need it.

A bit like what Hawthorn where trying a couple years ago when they put all of Wingard, Breust, O'Meara, & Mitchell up for sale to the highest bidder.
Oh i am aware but would love for them to * themselves for an even longer period

Much like Hawks did in 2017/18 If not for those trades Hawks would probably be on the way back up now instead of stagnating at the bottom for possible 2 more years before they start coming back up.

I'd take Thomas over Hopper even if the caveat was Thomas potentially never plays AFL football again.

Hopper is just awful, with an albatross of a contract.

For all of TT's issues, at least he'd be free. If he's still a dickhead just get rid of him.

I think there would need to be a set of conditions that makes it real easy for us to drop him to the 2s or fire him out a cannon if it's going badly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back