Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Where did this get reported?

Man if the dogs got the Hawks first pick outright for him they’d be laughing.

Doubt it goes down exactly that way though with something coming back.

I’m personally not worried too much about what his yearly fee would be… we will have the coin.

I’d be more worried about the length of it and what I be worried about the most is what draft capital we had to give up to make the trade happen.

Smith is stacked with $$$ though due to having 736 outside sponsorships… so maybe he just goes to the place he wants to be most, over who is offering the most $$$.

Looking closely at the Hawks mids recently due to us playing them… A fit Smith would certainly be a handy player for them that they look like the need.

Time will tell I guess.

Twomey apparently went with the detail on the Hawks offer but I was reading that 2nd hand off the trade board here. 1.2m over 5

👀

If no Smith what mid that would be a realistic target would you guys want us to go after?
I know we were pretty keen on Sheldrick on his draft night. He seems all but certain to ask for a trade away from the swans now.

Don't think there is one. Tarryn Thomas?

If no Smith what mid that would be a realistic target would you guys want us to go after?
I know we were pretty keen on Sheldrick on his draft night. He seems all but certain to ask for a trade away from the swans now.

Hugh McCluggage would be unreal for us.

Obviously a long shot to happen but i at least hope we are in the race.

Archie Perkins OOC?

I guess first and foremost we need to lock in Holmes.

Smith looks the most likely gettable good mid… maybe some others will pop up as the year goes on.

Not overly interested in list clogger types.

Perkins.

If we can't get Smith go for Perkins.

If you believe the rumour mill on here we met with him last year, so the question has been raised.

It might be unpopular, but I'd rather Archie over Smith regardless. He's younger, and is only just scratching the surface of his potential, while he's also shown the ability to play forward of the ball.

Probably most important of all, no injuries or off field issues that we know of, which always helps.

To have a young midfield of Conway, Holmes, Bruhn, Clark, & Perkins, with Dempsey as a burst mid...now that's exciting.

In the more likely event that we get neither of them, then I'd rather we just go to the draft.

Agree with D BRIDGE that we shouldn't be bringing in list cloggers just for the sake of bringing in players.

Bring in genuine difference makers, or players who look like they will be difference makers in a couple years.

If the market is anything like it was last year, just do what we did there and stay out of it completely and get a kid at the draft.

Would rather another O'Sullivan, Clark, Holmes, or Henry over some of any of the names that changed clubs last year.

As per this, Merrick has re-signed for 2 years - waiting on confirmation from the club

CAT SIGNS ON

MARK O'Connor's time down under will continue for at least another two seasons after the Irishman secured a contract extension this week.

The County Kerry product arrived in Geelong in 2016 and will now remain at GMHBA Stadium until at least the end of 2026.

O'Connor and Irish games record holder Zach Tuohy joined Tadhg Kennelly as the only players from the Emerald Isle to win a premiership when the Cats went all the way in 2022.

The 27-year-old has become a permanent fixture under Chris Scott in the past five seasons, playing at least 20 games in four of those campaigns to sit on 111 games.

Only six other Irishmen have reached the century, with Tuohy (272) surpassing Jim Stynes' long-standing record of 264 appearances last year. Kennelly (197), Pearce Hanley (169), Sean Wight (150) and Conor McKenna (106) are the others to hit triple figures.

If we can't get Smith go for Perkins.

If you believe the rumour mill on here we met with him last year, so the question has been raised.

It might be unpopular, but I'd rather Archie over Smith regardless. He's younger, and is only just scratching the surface of his potential, while he's also shown the ability to play forward of the ball.

Probably most important of all, no injuries or off field issues that we know of, which always helps.

To have a young midfield of Conway, Holmes, Bruhn, Clark, & Perkins, with Dempsey as a burst mid...now that's exciting.

In the more likely event that we get neither of them, then I'd rather we just go to the draft.

Agree with D BRIDGE that we shouldn't be bringing in list cloggers just for the sake of bringing in players.

Bring in genuine difference makers, or players who look like they will be difference makers in a couple years.

If the market is anything like it was last year, just do what we did there and stay out of it completely and get a kid at the draft.

Would rather another O'Sullivan, Clark, Holmes, or Henry over some of any of the names that changed clubs last year.
I'm for it on the basis that we would be a step closer to owning the 2020 draft.

Next target JUH

As per this, Merrick has re-signed for 2 years - waiting on confirmation from the club

CAT SIGNS ON

MARK O'Connor's time down under will continue for at least another two seasons after the Irishman secured a contract extension this week.

The County Kerry product arrived in Geelong in 2016 and will now remain at GMHBA Stadium until at least the end of 2026.

O'Connor and Irish games record holder Zach Tuohy joined Tadhg Kennelly as the only players from the Emerald Isle to win a premiership when the Cats went all the way in 2022.

The 27-year-old has become a permanent fixture under Chris Scott in the past five seasons, playing at least 20 games in four of those campaigns to sit on 111 games.

Only six other Irishmen have reached the century, with Tuohy (272) surpassing Jim Stynes' long-standing record of 264 appearances last year. Kennelly (197), Pearce Hanley (169), Sean Wight (150) and Conor McKenna (106) are the others to hit triple figures.

In sure this will be a popular and not-all- controversial signing

Exactly - I’m sure we’ll see universal excitment 😎

I did leave this part out from the article - think it’s kinda pushing things as I’m not sure we can really say that Friday nights team was our current best 23 but rather 23 players we could slot into the required roles based on availablility

With two-time GAA young player of the year Oisin Mullin also playing against Adelaide last Friday night, Geelong currently has three Irishmen in its best 23. – Josh Gabelich

He's had 2 ripping games to start the year.

Interesting we started him in the centre square for the first quarter on Friday. We seem to use his defensive harassing and 2 way running in the middle at the start of games. Maybe to make sure we're not jumped early with no pressure on the ball and then move him out once the initial sting is out of the game.

It's an absolute no brainer resigning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly - I’m sure we’ll see universal excitment 😎

I did leave this part out from the article - think it’s kinda pushing things as I’m not sure we can really say that Friday nights team was our current best 23 but rather 23 players we could slot into the required roles based on availablility

With two-time GAA young player of the year Oisin Mullin also playing against Adelaide last Friday night, Geelong currently has three Irishmen in its best 23. – Josh Gabelich
That was a grenade I'm happy to keep the pin in

He's had 2 ripping games to start the year.

Interesting we started him in the centre square for the first quarter on Friday. We seem to use his defensive harassing and 2 way running in the middle at the start of games. Maybe to make sure we're not jumped early with no pressure on the ball and then move him out once the initial sting is out of the game.

It's an absolute no brainer resigning.
I'm on board. He did have me a bit worried on preseason form though

I do find it a bit sad that other clubs have free wheeling Irish speedsters but we use their athletic attributes to turn them into dour defensive chess pieces for CS. It is effective and perhaps the best way of eeking out the maximum football ability from the Irish players that we have but yeah the approach is certainly different to Irish players developed elsewhere in the league.

I do find it a bit sad that other clubs have free wheeling Irish speedsters but we use their athletic attributes to turn them into dour defensive chess pieces for CS. It is effective and perhaps the best way of eeking out the maximum football ability from the Irish players that we have but yeah the approach is certainly different to Irish players developed elsewhere in the league.
Yeah but we won a premiership and constantly contend doing it, so who really gives a s**t?

Yeah but we won a premiership and constantly contend doing it, so who really gives a s**t?

Why fly when you can fall with style?

Ralphy with FA updates. The relevant snippet for GFC.

The Cats are expected to re-sign Dangerfield mid-season but are in no rush as he and manager Paul Connors assess his future.

Sounds like PD for 2025.

Like i said earlier the only way i would want a mid season trade period which the AFL will eventually get is if the only players of for trades are the players who aren't getting games (max 3 games by the trade period).

I also like the idea of trading a player for player only...

So a fringe player from club A lets say a ruck to Geelong for fringe player from club B a mid to Brisbane.
Brisbane give up a ruck they aren't using for a mid Geelong isn't using.

But no matter how it plays out is can only be for absolute fringe players.
If this is the scenario that plays out, all that will happen is clubs will try to steal young players from other clubs and entice them with success.

Nobody is going to go after the 23yo fringe players

Hugh McCluggage would be unreal for us.

Obviously a long shot to happen but i at least hope we are in the race.
McSuitcase has already stated he is planning to re-sign with Brisbane.

It would require something crazy to make it not happen at this point.
Like a microscopic chance he doesn't stay.

That's just one player, though. Tuohy was very much the dashing half-back till age bit. I have no doubt they envisage similar outcomes for Mullin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back