Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Like a lot of bottom teams, they stay too long in the accumulation phase, overlooking development as the true source of improvement. They need to settle on 4-5 inside mids as their core, and build around them. No point having 8 talented and expenseive inside mids you can't play that many.

What is their timeline for success?
What is the cap cost in the 3rd-4th year of having all of these top 5 picks?
Does having more top 5 picks increase the odds of having a top 5 dud?

IMO the only really bad use of their top 5 picks was overlooking McDonald for Phillips, JHF like Schache before him was really public that the team that drafted him should draft him.

How much of our longer term decisions were resource driven? if we had pick 3 would we have grabbed O'Sullivan or looked for a downgrade.
Not like for like when talking about 4-5 and go with them over 8 high picks, but this video gives a good explanation of cohesiveness and time spent playing with each other as a big advantage. Also just interesting for team building.

think is not an easy job, the biggest issue for those guys is managed the cap floor, if your team is full of average players who you giving money to? cant give it all to jack steele.
You also shouldn’t be giving it to people like Butler, Crouch, Jones etc
They get mediocre talent in and pay them good money

Like a lot of bottom teams, they stay too long in the accumulation phase, overlooking development as the true source of improvement. They need to settle on 4-5 inside mids as their core, and build around them. No point having 8 talented and expenseive inside mids you can't play that many.

What is their timeline for success?
What is the cap cost in the 3rd-4th year of having all of these top 5 picks?
Does having more top 5 picks increase the odds of having a top 5 dud?

IMO the only really bad use of their top 5 picks was overlooking McDonald for Phillips, JHF like Schache before him was really public that the team that drafted him should draft him.

How much of our longer term decisions were resource driven? if we had pick 3 would we have grabbed O'Sullivan or looked for a downgrade.

It a fair enough pov...I think it certainly looks bad now .... but yes I could understand overlooking Philips and taking McDonald..cause I beleieve talented mids come along each year...but talented talls are rarer. Thats why I feel I's have tried to do something that ensured they have the talls covered. Trade down ... maybe even get an extra pick ...and they walk away with Curtin , OSullivan and maybe Caddy.

I agree that we would have done something like that especially with 2 and 3

McLuggage (in good form) is a good player and played some excellent games last year for Brissie in the finals, and while it doesn't surprise me that the Cats would make him an offer, I can't see him leaving the Lions. Could be wrong, though. The other thing is the rival bidders would probably offer him more money than us.

On gettable ....

They mentioned Zac Guthrie is an unusual contract situation. Others might have signed for several years ... while Zac signed for one year. Comes out of contract in 2025 .. as an Unrestricted FA.

The way his form is atm... and the numbers being thrown around... what would someone like North offer him. He might get crazy town offers.

McLuggage (in good form) is a good player and played some excellent games last year for Brissie in the finals, and while it doesn't surprise me that the Cats would make him an offer, I can't see him leaving the Lions. Could be wrong, though. The other thing is the rival bidders would probably offer him more money than us.
He’s a B+ guy that sometimes plays like an A-

He’s not better than a guy like Cuthrie for example. Would you pay Cuthrie $1.3M+ is the question?

Mclug isnt a bad option to replace mitch duncan. The final ball inside 50 is so important, duncan and miers are our best at it and duncan wont be around for long.

On gettable ....

They mentioned Zac Guthrie is an unusual contract situation. Others might have signed for several years ... while Zac signed for one year. Comes out of contract in 2025 .. as an Unrestricted FA.

The way his form is atm... and the numbers being thrown around... what would someone like North offer him. He might get crazy town offers.

Father Guthrie likes to have both Guthries OOC at the same time

The kid Trainor was on gettable. Grandson of Doug Wade. Shame there is no Grandfather Son rule

Exquisite by foot for a 194cm Mostly played forward but has played back and look a natural at HB.

Would be a nice add but will be well gone by our pick. Said he follows North so ..if they have any confidence in that they would be silly not to

EX-CAT RETURNS IN RECRUITING ROLE
FORMER Geelong small forward Cory Gregson has returned to the club, joining Andrew Mackie's recruiting department.

The 27-year-old is based in Adelaide and covering South Australia on a part-time basis for the club.

Gregson played 39 games for the Cats after being selected at pick No.47 in 2014 by veteran Geelong recruiter Stephen Wells.

The Rostrevor College product was plagued by foot injuries related to the navicular bone during his time at Kardinia Park and required four rounds of surgery.

After returning to South Australia at the end of 2018, Gregson helped Glenelg end a 33-year premiership drought in 2019 before dealing with more foot issues that curtailed his playing career.

Fremantle added long-time Geelong recruiter Liam Woodland to its recruiting department team late last month.

Former Collingwood and Brisbane midfielder Shane O'Bree transitioned from coaching to recruiting full-time over the pre-season. – Josh Gabelich

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not many at this stage in terms of first round prospects.

Extremely midfield heavy draft, so much so that the first 10-15 could all end up being mids, and the best key forward prospect is Welsh who's an Adelaide F/S.

Really sucks for teams like Norf & Hawthorn desperate for key position talent, but thems the breaks.

If we're not trading our pick for a Smith, Perkins, or McSuitcases I'd expect we'll be taking a mid this year, just by sheer probability as much as anything.
Not a bad thing. For example there could be some long-term prospects for us to explore for Key Forward without if we had to trade our 1st round pick

FORMER Geelong small forward Cory Gregson has returned to the club, joining Andrew Mackie's recruiting department.

The 27-year-old is based in Adelaide and covering South Australia on a part-time basis for the club.

Gregson played 39 games for the Cats after being selected at pick No.47 in 2014 by veteran Geelong recruiter Stephen Wells.

The Rostrevor College product was plagued by foot injuries related to the navicular bone during his time at Kardinia Park and required four rounds of surgery.

After returning to South Australia at the end of 2018, Gregson helped Glenelg end a 33-year premiership drought in 2019 before dealing with more foot issues that curtailed his playing career.

Fremantle added long-time Geelong recruiter Liam Woodland to its recruiting department team late last month.

Former Collingwood and Brisbane midfielder Shane O'Bree transitioned from coaching to recruiting full-time over the pre-season. – Josh Gabelich
Is O’Bree still at the club? As a recruiter?

I actually wouldn't mind if we draft 2 Key Forwards in this years draft.. As we can't rely on what we have if we get 1, will be any good.. plus we need to look to the future to replace Cameron in years to come

Apologies if this has already been mentioned because i havent read much of this thread

But at the end of this season id be keen for Geel to try to get Yeo from W/Coast - who becomes a free agent

Hes 30 he is in tremendous form this season now he is injury free , i heard Kelly say a couple of weeks ago that Yeo is so important to the W/Coast team because he is so strong and quick and of course talented

I read that a few clubs in the Premiership window are very keen to get him , i think he would be a good recruit for Geel - extend our stay at the top - you cant beat having quality players on your list

Mackie looking after his fellow Sacred Heart alumni. Typical old money Norwood behaviour

Woodland will be a loss. Hoping greggers bad luck with injury doesn't extend to luck in recruitment

Apologies if this has already been mentioned because i havent read much of this thread

But at the end of this season id be keen for Geel to try to get Yeo from W/Coast - who becomes a free agent

Hes 30 he is in tremendous form this season now he is injury free , i heard Kelly say a couple of weeks ago that Yeo is so important to the W/Coast team because he is so strong and quick and of course talented

I read that a few clubs in the Premiership window are very keen to get him , i think he would be a good recruit for Geel - extend our stay at the top - you cant beat having quality players on your list
No need to apologise... yes it has been mentioned..
But the chances of this happening? Is SFA.. he is a WA boy with a WA partner... in his 30s, moving all the way to the other side of Australia, when a person at his age , probably thinking of starting a family...
No point of hoping as it just won't happen

Not like for like when talking about 4-5 and go with them over 8 high picks, but this video gives a good explanation of cohesiveness and time spent playing with each other as a big advantage. Also just interesting for team building.

I was talking more from a recruitment cost process and from a salary cap maintenance. Certain types of players attract a premium based off potential, if a club doesn't use them in that way then it is effectively making their team less efficient then their opposition. We dumped Lang, Fogarty and Stephens. Caddy flipped for Menegola, Cockatoo thankfully walked, Smedts and Thurlow let go for cheap. The least efficient players are those who just signed their first contract off the base wage. Most efficient are mature aged recruits that burst on the scene. We probably paid 300k over two years for Kelly, came 5th in the Brownlow in his 2nd year. 1 game later he is pulling 800k pa for the WCE. I think the talent advantage of high pick draftees overvalued relative to experience. The VFL teams mostly stomp the academy teams.

I've seen that video before, I think the concept of cohesion can add value to players who are further from the apex of the talent pool. Dangerfield dominated how our team played from day dot, he can during a period when we threw cohesion away to bring in maturity.

Good cohesion allows teams to min-max, allows them to make tactical adjustments with minimal input from the coaching staff. Defenders change opponents etc, offensive players can improvise more without throwing the whole structure. Some of that tactical knowledge come from experience. But you'd still pick the better player.

With no role restriction is Hardie a better footballer than Parfitt? When both played at VFL level last year Hardie looked better, will Parfitt fit better into our system at AFL level and be more effective? probably.

Would not be surprised if we chased Hunter Holmes (brother of Max). One to watch.

Im sure we will be interested in how goes in junior football but unfortunately we have no link or hold on him. He would have to be available in the draft at our pick for us to get him.

Once drafted and n the system..perhaps we could try to recruit him if he wishes to play with his brother.

Hunter Holmes, Melbourne Grammar

The brother of recently re-signed Geelong speedster Max Holmes was prominent in Melbourne Grammar’s loss to Wesley, racking up 26 disposals and six clearances splitting his time between the wing and on-ball. Holmes isn’t on a Coates League list, but his older brother was one who staked his claim primarily at APS football level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back