Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Just my TWO BOBS worth.
I think it's time for the AFL... Like the NBA NFL NHL have done.
Limit contracts to a MAX of 5 years.
These 10 years deals muted are a recipe for disaster for both clubs players and in turn the AFL competition.
No one is forcing the clubs to offer the long term contracts if it backfires they only have themselves to blame

No one is forcing the clubs to offer the long term contracts if it backfires they only have themselves to blame
Waiting for the AFL to change things as a club probably one of the supposed big 4 sign a 10 year deal only for that player to have to retire in the first year of the contract and the side stuck with him in the salary cap.

Waiting for the AFL to change things as a club probably one of the supposed big 4 sign a 10 year deal only for that player to have to retire in the first year of the contract and the side stuck with him in the salary cap.
Would be a backflip as that discussion came up wit the Buddy signing and the AFL said tough luck

And that was Sydney

We force clubs to do everything else…
Just add this one to the list.
Saved a lot of franchises and in turn leagues have benefited from the move over seas.
Doesn’t hurt so I don’t see any negatives to the cap myself.

We force clubs to do everything else…
Just add this one to the list.
Saved a lot of franchises and in turn leagues have benefited from the move over seas.
Doesn’t hurt so I don’t see any negatives to the cap myself.
Fair point I just don’t see the need to hold the club’s hand in this one personally

Fair point I just don’t see the need to hold the club’s hand in this one personally
Protect the brand… as in the AFL.
The NHL NBA and to a lesser extent the NFL saw the adverse effect it had not only on franchises but their league.
The AFL have mimicked nearly everything they have seen from their junkets to the states.
This is/should be the next step IMO.
Cheers mate.

Seems the Betts family still have a keen interest in Stengle's affairs judging by this.

I really hope that Stengle is appropriately remunerated in this contract. The guy is one of the top small forwards in the AFL which in modern football is a critical position. I’d love to know that he would finish his career with us but also in a manner where he’s set up for life.

I really hope that Stengle is appropriately remunerated in this contract. The guy is one of the top small forwards in the AFL which in modern football is a critical position. I’d love to know that he would finish his career with us but also in a manner where he’s set up for life.
I'm sure even if he takes slightly unders, he'll still be absolutely flying in the cashola department compared to most of us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it over paying in the current climate? Its ridiculous but when LDU has been linked to 13 to 15 M over ten years ..when he is OOC next year ... I have wonder what is over paying. It seems like the desperation of some clubs to bring in talent without falling to get the best picks has put inflationary pressure on FA's.

Its is i think mcgrath is worth 3-4 years on decent money at most but essendon have a history of overpaying to keep guys there and they probably felt they had to.

He was always going to get 4. It brings him to FA so he can cash in again then

I reckon that setting the contract to end at FA is bit overated. Is 4 more years AFL like to change rules on the fly. And if a player can get 2 extra year of security, they should take it. Obviously holmes case he prefered to stay so thats that.

I reckon that setting the contract to end at FA is bit overated. Is 4 more years AFL like to change rules on the fly. And if a player can get 2 extra year of security, they should take it. Obviously holmes case he prefered to stay so thats that.

He's locked up for 4 years while also giving himself flexibility should the cap spike.

This happened in the NBA/NFL, guys got huge contracts when the CBA contract changed.

Yeah you get extra to change clubs, but I think those clubs would also offer 6 to stay

Oh yeah for sure I'm totally in agreement with you.
I reckon Geelong are pretty good at selling shorter term contracts to players to keep flexibility whereas other clubs want to lock guys down for YEARS on big money.

Different approaches, neither are incorrect i just know one way of doing it is much much easier to backfire on you than the other (Looking at you Hopper and Richmond/Lions and Hipwood)

If a player is OOC earlier and they walk, so be it. They don't owe us anything in a business environment.
But they also need to understand that by taking lesser years and dollars they set themselves up to compete, therefore gaining more higher exposure games/crowds and Finals. i think most guys understand that, they can take huge money sure but what's the point if you're losing every single week like LDU.

Oh yeah for sure I'm totally in agreement with you.
I reckon Geelong are pretty good at selling shorter term contracts to players to keep flexibility whereas other clubs want to lock guys down for YEARS on big money.

Different approaches, neither are incorrect i just know one way of doing it is much much easier to backfire on you than the other (Looking at you Hopper and Richmond/Lions and Hipwood)

If a player is OOC earlier and they walk, so be it. They don't owe us anything in a business environment.
But they also need to understand that by taking lesser years and dollars they set themselves up to compete, therefore gaining more higher exposure games/crowds and Finals. i think most guys understand that, they can take huge money sure but what's the point if you're losing every single week like LDU.

I'd always rather the player walk (even if they are good player) then pay overs to retain them, it creates a feedback loop that results in you over paying for everyone. Everyone on 5-10% more stops us from getting Cameron.

The easiest way to make a player better is for them to take a pay cut

Different approaches, neither are incorrect i just know one way of doing it is much much easier to backfire on you than the other )(Looking at you Hopper and Richmond/Lions and Hipwood)
Technically these longer contracts haven't backfired yet.

Hopper got a silly contract for who and what he is, though and I'm very happy for the Tigers to cop that one and not us.

Technically these longer contracts haven't backfired yet.

Hopper got a silly contract for who and what he is, though and I'm very happy for the Tigers to cop that one and not us.
Grundy contract certainly did and arguably Treloar as well

Coll are still paying Grundy to play for Sydney after they were paying for him to play for Melb
Are Melb also paying Sydney for Grundy?

I'd always rather the player walk (even if they are good player) then pay overs to retain them, it creates a feedback loop that results in you over paying for everyone. Everyone on 5-10% more stops us from getting Cameron.

The easiest way to make a player better is for them to take a pay cut

I mean i want guys to get their generational wealth because once they are retired the clubs are 99% most likely not going to look after you and if they got a career ending injury are those clubs going to pay for all the medical bills and future rehab? Probably not.

But if a player is committed to the cause that's a great thing.

I would hope most Cats players understand that:

Hey, you're still getting 75% of the Bag....you're just leaving the club open to flexibility in the squad so we can bring in multiple star talents or retain our homegrown talent so the squad stays competitive and can push for Finals/Big box office matches which increases exposure and opens you up outside football opportunities from media/sponsorship for your brand.

If you want to take 100% of the bag...no one will blame you. Especially if you want to leave for Home/Family reasons (Kelly, Jordan Clark) or if some club is dumb enough to pay you F%%% off level money (Ablett and GC)
We just aren't going to do that.

Players know where we stand and what we stand for. Joel said it best.

"You don't come to the Geelong Football Club to go to work for money, you come for the experience. I've loved every part of that."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back