Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

See what you mean, but with us now playing Holmes on a HBF, having two wingman in Dempsey and Wilson would have been pretty exciting for the future.

Like you though, wouldn’t swap him for O’Sullivan. But I would have traded our FF for him in retrospect now we are 7-1!

I was a massive wilson fan too and hes a ripper.
But when you see how much hawkins blitz and stanley are starting to decline now taking COS was necessary and the right call. Especially with this year being a mids draft.

In hindsight it would have been good to trade our fr1 for wilson but it would have been terribly risky.

Don't know if this has already been posted here but I think we sometimes under appreciate how freaking good our development, scouting and coaching is.

2 guys of our own are there in a group of highly touted and heralded top picks....

One of them was Pick 15 in a Rookie Draft and was more Basketball player than Footy player ranking 4th highest.

The other was a 2nd Round Pick who has dealt with long term injuries ranking 7th highest.

Masterclass by Wells-Mack once again <3

1715171532731.png

Don't know if this has already been posted here but I think we sometimes under appreciate how freaking good our development, scouting and coaching is.

2 guys of our own are there in a group of highly touted and heralded top picks....

One of them was Pick 15 in a Rookie Draft and was more Basketball player than Footy player ranking 4th highest.

The other was a 2nd Round Pick who has dealt with long term injuries ranking 7th highest.

Masterclass by Wells-Mack once again <3

View attachment 1983311
Darcy Jones is who GWS drafted using the Bruhn pick. Not bad as he is coming back from an ACL

Darcy Jones is who GWS drafted using the Bruhn pick. Not bad as he is coming back from an ACL
Yeah, I wish we had another talented young small forward. It's an area we are really lacking in, when Mannagh can't even get a look.

Bruhn was a silly choice with our abundance of prime-aged midfield talent.

Good job once again Horsey.

I have been waiting for this talking point.

Acknowledge Darcy Jones is a very good player but still happy that Bruhn was the player we needed.

Acknowledge Darcy Jones is a very good player but still happy that Bruhn was the player we needed.
Jones would be competing with Miers, Stengle, Close and Dempsey....so I think you're right. We have a great option with Mannagh who is basically still in his original wrapping.

Wojcinski didn’t lose much of his pace after his ACL

You don’t lose pace or power after an ACL. It’s a stabilising ligament. Obviously risk of re-injury is far higher, but often the biggest problem is the knee can’t handle the same workload (and that’s mostly because of residual damage). That means extra maintenance work and often puts you on a managed program.

Last edited:
You don’t lose pace or power after an ACL. It’s a stabilising ligament. Obviously risk of re-injury is far higher, but often the biggest problem is the knee can’t handle the same workload (and that’s mostly because of residual damage).
Yeah my concern isn't whether Smith will be quick and dynamic again.

But the susceptibility to re-injury and the effect that can have on your mindset present two concerns: physical and mental.

It will be a gamble, there's no doubt about it. But I don't think his actual ceiling will be lowered outside of the obvious: it could happen again and then you have a troubling situation.

Yeah my concern isn't whether Smith will be quick and dynamic again.

But the susceptibility to re-injury and the effect that can have on your mindset present two concerns: physical and mental.

It will be a gamble, there's no doubt about it. But I don't think his actual ceiling will be lowered outside of the obvious: it could happen again and then you have a troubling situation.

It's definitely a risk. Can his knee handle the training load required to get "AFL midfield fit". Does he have the mentality to do all the extra maintenance work?

I also think he is the wrong type of midfielder. We're starting to get too small in the middle. It's fine to have a few but there's got to be a tipping point where too many midfielders giving up 10kgs and or 2-3 inches becomes a problem.

As good as he is..and I like the look of him... i think comparison like this can create something of a false comparison. We may not have picked him and then who ever you do pick has a flow on... its then like the Butterfly effect on your list.

If we had the pick...would we necessarily have taken the 175cm Jones due to up coming needs and strengths we had shown in the GF? Maybe . He looks like he has the assets we value speed and run.

Id think there is a strong chance we would have looked at a tall ..like Lewis Hayes and start developing him. He would fit who we have added recently ... and then of course it would change who we add later. Do we add COS then , as we have the tall . Of course we still had Sav so maybe we don't go tall defender..maybe we go forward. We picked Foster with a later pick... do we choose him or look at other options with an earlier pick. I think Brayden George was a forward mid goal sneak that looked good... and he has not been able to play a game for North. OOC at years end.

I think Jones comes from WA ..my bet is both WA teams will be keen to keep him. on their speed dial.

In the end ..all you can do is add players that become solid members of your best side, even better if its an area of need rather than strength..so Bruhn is a win imo.

I was a massive wilson fan too and hes a ripper.
But when you see how much hawkins blitz and stanley are starting to decline now taking COS was necessary and the right call. Especially with this year being a mids draft.

In hindsight it would have been good to trade our fr1 for wilson but it would have been terribly risky.

I too liked Wilson ...but we cant have them all.

I think you were probably rightly more conservative about trading this years R1 than I but Im not sure id have traded it ..without seeing the deal. Was there a Rich prepared to trade with us at the pick to take Wilson?

The trading out of the future draft is always a risk.. and you probably get the best deal when other sides smell a drop...like us last year.

So ..now this year. Are we prepared to do or even want to do what the Dogs did last year to get earlier pick or another pick. Quality mids in this years draft. Gold Coast for one will be looking to move picks. It gets down to how we rate the draft and next years draft..or even if we need picks for a trade. It all has risk and some negative connotation that you must weigh and accept. Can we use next years pick to trade for Smith somehow. Trade our future pick to get an extra R1 in this year to on trade. But Smith has risk...as most players do. Id imagine even if Max King said he wanted to come to Geelong ... it would take at least 2 R1's.. and his form at the moment would really make one concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don’t lose pace or power after an ACL. It’s a stabilising ligament. Obviously risk of re-injury is far higher, but often the biggest problem is the knee can’t handle the same workload (and that’s mostly because of residual damage). That means extra maintenance work and often puts you on a managed program.

Its an interesting observation about that type of injury. Love to hear some extra expert feedback.

Are all players the same. I doubt it. How many players that have done ACL in unusual circumstances and went on to never do one again... while other players seem to have a predisposition to the injury.

Did some skimp on the maintenance. Guys like Menzel seemed to put plenty into it but maybe was just genetically unlucky.

On the damage ...does each knee absorb the same amount of damage when injured..or is it relevant to the way the injury is done?

Is there a way to predict reoccurrence risk? ..what are the odds of a reoccurrence. How did Smith do his knee.. what type would he fall into? Did the surface play a role in it. There seems a relationship to knees at certain times of year .. and even some surfaces and grounds. How has doing a knee affected the draftability of kids..

If Will Ashcroft suddenly said he wants away from Brisbane as he blamed the Gabba surface would we be keen on him. My bet we and just about every other club would jump at the risk.

Speaking of ACLs. I had read previously about ACLs can heal naturally, but it may take a couple of years for it to heal, and there is no guarantee it will completely work.
The article below is a different strategy to speed up the natural healing. Again, no guarantee, but 3 months instead of 12 months is worth looking at.

Speaking of ACLs. I had read previously about ACLs can heal naturally, but it may take a couple of years for it to heal, and there is no guarantee it will completely work.
The article below is a different strategy to speed up the natural healing. Again, no guarantee, but 3 months instead of 12 months is worth looking at.

A full ACL tear means the ligament is severed completely. If you think of it like a rope. You end up with two seperate pieces. For it to heal itself the two pieces have to basically be touching and remain touching long enough for the two pieces to knit together. It can happen, but it’s rare.

100 %. Will be a win win.
Gws need small forwards and we dont need them at all.
Their midfield is stacked and we needed a quality mid which bruhn is.
Everyone wins.

Everyone wins.

Love to find another example of a possible win win . GWS have a couple that would be attractive , and GC are getting so many academy kids..one would think there is a target somewhere

Everyone wins.
Mate the only true small forward we have is Stengle.

I listened to Jon Ralph a couple of times & unless I misheard him, he seemed to be suggesting that we're still interested in Clayton Oliver & may make another play for him at season's end

It was during the halftime break on Fox

Mate the only true small forward we have is Stengle.

Depends on your classification of 'small forward'. We have miers close stengle dempsey all as best 22 in the forward line plus mannagh who would be best 22 at most teams. A non kpf forward is not a need for us and jones wouldnt be in our best 22 (as good as he will be). Whereas bruhn will be best 22 for us every day of the week.

I listened to Jon Ralph a couple of times & unless I misheard him, he seemed to be suggesting that we're still interested in Clayton Oliver & may make another play for him at season's end

He did but he also said melbourne are happy with his behavioural changes and wont trade him. With 5 years to go i doubt he goes.

Love to find another example of a possible win win . GWS have a couple that would be attractive , and GC are getting so many academy kids..one would think there is a target somewhere

You know i was a big fan of leake last year but i assume if he was to leave for anywhere it would be tassie.

If youre talking non best 22 players at gc that would fill a need for us the obvious one is davies (because we need a taller midfielders) but im unsure if he would want to come.

If he somehow wanted to come to us, I can't see how we'd satisfy the Dees in a trade. He'd have to still be acting up and I don't know if that's a good thing for us or not.

Football wise would be perfect get for us, said it last year too.

Another example of a win-win? Maybe if you count gold coast salary cap constraints and subsequent ability to sign Humphries and others then probably the Bowes trade is a win-win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back