Traded Izak Rankine traded to Adelaide with #46 & F4 (Freo) for #5, F3 & F4

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang on..
You made a statement that “given how much he is being offered I think the Suns should get at least pick 5 for him…”

I simply asked you to tell us all exactly what it is he is being offered for you to come to this conclusion.

I mean… You’ve been on this thread for days now making wild claims, backing them up with absolutely nothing and telling crows supporters they are gonna be dissapointed at how much its gonna cost their club.. blah, blah, blah..

And now you are telling us this has all just been you making s**t up in your head?..

Well… Thats a surprise.

Jesus calm down mate. I have obviously hit a nerve haven't I.

He is being offered a lot!

All this talk of threatening to go to the PSD is hyperbole. It very rarely gets to that point.

You pretty much can almost copy and paste the same threats of the PSD from the club a player wants to go to, and the same over expectation of the club losing a player (e.g. expecting two first end picks) in every trade thread.

I remember almost the exact same conversations about walking Prestia to the PSD when Richmond traded for Prestia (pick 6 was considered slightly overs for him at the time). And guess what....the trade got done. I'm pretty confident the same thing is going to happen here.

Obviously footy fans see this as if it's trading in the stock market, but the reality is no club ever threatens to take a player the the draft or PSD unless the club being traded with is being very unreasonable.

The are a lot of factors why the walking to the draft threats almost never happen.

As I said, my prediction is it will end up being something like the Cerra trade. If you think Adelaide isn't going to trade the pick 5 then I think you are going to be disappointed.

And all i'm saying is it's nothing like the Cerra trade. Two completely different players with completely different sets of trajectories in terms of their performances since being taken at the draft. In the post you responded to i said it was fairly likely Pick 5 will be used, but i think a bit will be coming back to the Crows.

No, just that he was a flight risk more generally. He was pretty clear in saying that staying in SA was his preference. I think that might have changed somewhat, because he did seem set to re-sign for a while.
Not sure that's true as very early on in his stint with the Suns he said he can't really see himself moving back to Adelaide and would probably prefer to move his family up to the Gold Coast than move back to Adelaide.

The quote was posted on here a few pages back.

He's worth 5 at least especially given how much they're offering. Just my opinion.

It's a similar contract to what they gave Dawson and he was Melbourne's future first.

Unfortunately when players are out of contract and the other team is lower in the PSD it makes it difficult.

Adelaide have the ability to drive a hard bargain here.

It's a similar contract to what they gave Dawson and he was Melbourne's future first.

Unfortunately when players are out of contract and the other team is lower in the PSD it makes it difficult.

Adelaide have the ability to drive a hard bargain here.

Wish Adelaide all the best in that endeavour but Crows fans are literally the only ones in here thinking you guys have leverage. Think that sums it up pretty well.

And all i'm saying is it's nothing like the Cerra trade. Two completely different players with completely different sets of trajectories in terms of their performances since being taken at the draft. In the post you responded to i said it was fairly likely Pick 5 will be used, but i think a bit will be coming back to the Crows.

To be fair even with our midfield I'd take Rankine every day of the week over Cerra. He's a wet blanket.

What if the crows dug in and only put up a future 1st and say refuse to discuss this years 1st. Are GC going to send rankine to the draft and turn down a probable future top 5 pick...ballsy move if they do, but their list manager might get the sack
Great welcome to the club for Rankine that would be

Not sure that's true as very early on in his stint with the Suns he said he can't really see himself moving back to Adelaide and would probably prefer to move his family up to the Gold Coast than move back to Adelaide.

That's why I said it seems to have changed since then. But before he was drafted, he was on record saying that he preferred to stay in Adelaide, and more specifically he wanted to play for the Crows who he group up supproting. Think he also said Betts was his hero, or something along those lines.

That's why I said it seems to have changed since then. But before he was drafted, he was on record saying that he preferred to stay in Adelaide, and more specifically he wanted to play for the Crows who he group up supproting. Think he also said Betts was his hero, or something along those lines.
I'm not convinced he did say that pre-draft, if it's on record could you please show me the quotes? Being a Suns member I did look him up a fair bit and don't recall ever seeing those warnings or statements from either himself or the media questioning the drafting, as with the Suns exodus issues in the past drafting someone with such public flight risk would've been a significant talking point.

In fact there's a quote from him in a pre-draft interview saying moving interstate isn't a big deal for him.

Last edited:
Wish Adelaide all the best in that endeavour but Crows fans are literally the only ones in here thinking you guys have leverage. Think that sums it up pretty well.

I'm a Swans fan and think they have the advantage/ leverage in this deal. Either you accept under for him or they walk to the PSD.

Until a club comes out and states they will take Rankine in the draft if available it's advantage Adelaide.

They threatened with it last year and were not afraid to use it the year before.

It's not fair on GC and I don't agree with it, but Adelaide are smart/ brutal at the trade table so will do this.

Why. All he will care about is that a deal is struck and if he saw a future 1st that in all likelihood will be a top 5 pick get turned down, he might be quite unhappy - but not with the crows:moustache:
Correct, we just tell GC we have our pick 5 lined up for another deal like Geelong did when Dangerfield wanted to come home but they wanted Henderson that year too.

I'm not sure Patrick was that disappointed he wasn't traded for 2 first round picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because contracted players love to strain relationships with their current team by not towing those lines...

Don't forget Smith getting a letter from his doctor saying that he had anxiety and that moving interstate would cause more mental health issues on him, and then sending it to every interstate club.
I don't remember the AFL cracking down on him. Of course, because he was a Vic kid.
What specifically could they do to crack down on it though? It's not the AFL's place to dictate what is and what isn't legitimate medical advice.

Plus, it's a clinical recommendation, it's not legally binding. It's a difficult one, because at the end of the day, would you prefer to draft someone that will likely struggle with mental health once you draft them, and then almost definitely seek a trade home within the next couple of years?

I'm not convinced he did say that pre-draft, if it's on record could you please show me the quotes? Being a Suns member I did look him up a fair bit and don't recall ever seeing those warnings or statements from either himself or the media questioning the drafting, as with the Suns exodus issues in the past drafting someone with such public flight risk would've been a significant talking point.

In fact there's a quote from him in a pre-draft interview saying moving interstate isn't a big deal for him.

What specifically could they do to crack down on it though? It's not the AFL's place to dictate what is and what isn't legitimate medical advice.

Plus, it's a clinical recommendation, it's not legally binding. It's a difficult one, because at the end of the day, would you prefer to draft someone that will likely struggle with mental health once you draft them, and then almost definitely seek a trade home within the next couple of years?
No its not, you either have a national draft or you don't. If someone has a mental health issue that might prevent them from relocating interstate, they should not be eligible to join the draft.

No its not, you either have a national draft or you don't. If someone has a mental health issue that might prevent them from relocating interstate, they should not be eligible to join the draft.

I disagree, but at the same time I'd set the bar for what qualifies as a relevant/qualifying mental health issue far higher.

That doesn't say he doesn't want to move interstate and would rather stay home, just he'd rather play for his favourite team. It even says in there wherever he's selected he'll go.

In this video he says similarly how he trained with Adelaide and made good relationships there but went on to say moving interstate isn't a big deal for him.

Draft prospect | Izak Rankine

Not sure there's any indication of being a flight risk like you suggest.

That doesn't say he doesn't want to move interstate and would rather stay home, just he'd rather play for his favourite team. It even says in there wherever he's selected he'll go.

In this video he says similarly how he trained with Adelaide and made good relationships there but went on to say moving interstate isn't a big deal for him.

Draft prospect | Izak Rankine

Not sure there's any indication of being a flight risk like you suggest.
If he said otherwise, he would be done for draft tampering

I disagree, but at the same time I'd set the bar for what qualifies as a relevant/qualifying mental health issue far higher.

I understand where you are coming from, but the big problem then becomes what is the bar level and who is the arbiter of determining whether someone meets that bar or not. But by then, if you have players even applying for it, its a proxy for them to not get drafted interstate anyway as everyone will know they are applying so they don't have to move.

There really can't be any exemptions - if you apply for the national draft then you simply can't dictate where you go and the Wingards, Perkins, Smiths etc should have been excluded from the drafts at the time imo

I understand where you are coming from, but the big problem then becomes what is the bar level and who is the arbiter of determining whether someone meets that bar or not. But by then, if you have players even applying for it, its a proxy for them to not get drafted interstate anyway as everyone will know they are applying so they don't have to move.

There really can't be any exemptions - if you apply for the national draft then you simply can't dictate where you go and the Wingards, Perkins, Smiths etc should have been excluded from the drafts at the time imo

Independent assessment, significant harm resulting from such a move.

If you're not willing to undergo ~6-10 sessions with an AFL approved shrink to determine this, then you don't qualify.

Frankly, I think anyone who did qualify would be messed up enough that few clubs would want to take them anyway.

Just found the example I was thinking of...

Reece McKenzie, picked up by Richmond at #77 in the 2014 draft.

Supposedly a top level talent, but had severe depression. Struggled at the tigers, even though he was 'home' (grew up in Melb somewhere) and never played a game before being cut. Then whined how the club hadn't supported him enough.

I think it's good that people like this have options, and sometimes the structure, focus, drive, etc. can be helpful for them.

Making him move would have been an additional burden so avoiding that was probably a good thing.

But this is the level of messed up I'm referring to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back