Traded Lloyd Meek - [Traded with F2 (Dogs) to Hawthorn for Jaeger O'Meara and F4]

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, I see. I do think Jackson and Taranto would be relatively comparable in trade worth (and that by this 'economy of scale', there is no way Meek could be worth a top 25 pick)

I'll raise another example to show the contract is the most valuable thing in football.

Griffin Logue to North for 5x $800,000 out of contract with the PSD threat is their F2 pick.

Griffin Logue to North for 5x $800,000 in contract is an upgrade of #13 to pick #1 or a future first.

Next year Meek will walk for cheap if clubs are still interested in him, if he plays most of the year and dominates then he still goes for unders because he is out of contract.

I'll raise another example to show the contract is the most valuable thing in football.

Griffin Logue to North for 5x $800,000 out of contract with the PSD threat is their F2 pick.

Griffin Logue to North for 5x $800,000 in contract is an upgrade of #13 to pick #1 or a future first.

Next year Meek will walk for cheap if clubs are still interested in him, if he plays most of the year and dominates then he still goes for unders because he is out of contract.

Let's agree to disagree - I can see no way you would be given pick 1 (or a future pick 1-3) in a deal for Logue under contract. I would be shocked if any neutral would agree with that.

Let's just wait and see - If Meek is traded for a top 25 pick (or an F2) without anything of note coming back (such as your own F2 or F3, making it a small pick upgrade), you will be correct. I'm pretty confident it will be less than that.

Let's agree to disagree - I can see no way you would be given pick 1 (or a future pick 1-3) in a deal for Logue under contract. I would be shocked if any neutral would agree with that.

Let's just wait and see - If Meek is traded for a top 25 pick (or an F2) without anything of note coming back (such as your own F2 or F3, making it a small pick upgrade), you will be correct. I'm pretty confident it will be less than that.

It's the contract. It's always the contract. I think you're right that if he moves it will be upgrading a later pick into the second round pick. I think it's far more likely that Meek doesn't move at all.

There's no obligation to move him, and regarding the Logue under contract but offered $3.5-4m - that's exactly how North coughs up their first for him.

That was my point about hill, he was just a plug and play role player at the Hawks because that's all you needed him to be

At Freo he was a match winner, we expanded his role and I think the rivalry with his brother helped that too, he was a star at Freo and the compensation we got from saints for him reflected that

“A match winner”!? you hardly won any matches when Hill was there, Freo finished 14th, 14th and 13th. Of the games you did win Hill never got 3 Brownlow votes and 2 votes only on 1 occasion. That‘s hardly a “Match Winner”. Sounds more like a really good role player to me, like at Hawthorn.

Last edited:
“A math winner”!? you hardly won any matches when Hill was there, Freo finished 14th, 14th and 13th. Of the games you did win Hill never got 3 Brownlow votes and 2 votes only on 1 occasion. That‘s hardly a “Match Winner”. Sounds more like a really good role player to me, like at Hawthorn.

So what you need to make it a good deal for Freo.

Why would Fremantle give up ruck insurance for a third round pick, when we can get the same result next year?

Meeks wages isn’t a lot.
Because that insurance is only for 1 year. You risk getting next to nothing next year as he will be out of contract, see Louge and Tucker Trade.

Yes great a F&B, I am not questioning he was your best player in 2017. But the statement was Hill was a Match Winner at Freo, what matches did he win for you? I would say maybe a couple, remember you hardly won any matches.
PS, Hill got more Brownlow votes at Hawthorn in 2015 than he did at Freo in 2017. Being a better player in a lesser team doesn’t mean you’ve become a better player.

Last edited:
Yes great a F&B, I am not questioning he was your best player in 2017. But the statement was Hill was a Match Winner at Freo, what matches did he win for you? I would say maybe a couple, remember you hardly won any matches.
PS, Hill got more Brownlow votes at Hawthorn in 2015 than he did at Freo in 2017. Being a better player in a lesser team doesn’t mean you’ve become a better player.
Stat wise B Hill was better at Fremantle.

Yes his performance was superior mainly because he was entering his prime.

My guess if he stayed at Hawthorn his performances would have improved just like it did at Fremantle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lot of Freo fans gonna be disappointed.

Digging your heels in for Meek for a 2nd while Acres walks away for SFA. It's not happening.

A 3rd rounder will do it. Maybe a swap of late picks.
huh? I've said all along I expect it to be a 3rd Rounder.

1665050105962.png
Would help if people read what was written.

Your comments are true - even of Pick 1. But that's not how value is assessed. I think it's pretty obvious to say that the AFL marketplace does not value Lloyd Meek as a top 25 pick (and I'm speaking of list managers here, not the fans). Clubs would back themselves to get a better prospect (superstar or not) with a pick that high than a 24 year old who is currently not best 22.

Brodie Grundy is being traded for less. Tom Mitchell (if traded) will go for less. Henry or Bruhn will probably go for around that price or less (hell, we even lost Buddy Franklin, albeit in different circumstances, for a similar pick). In all honesty, you'd want that NOT to be the marker rate, because if it is, it would take about 4 first rounders to get Luke Jackson if Meek is a top 25 pick.

Inflation is through the roof atm, pay up or piss off 😊

Lobb is more a Fwd / Ruck, so I can understand Freo wanting to keep him.
If Jackson comes in surely Meek will not be needed.

If they kept Meek, and he played WAFL all year, his value goes down.

Lobb is more a Fwd / Ruck, so I can understand Freo wanting to keep him.
If Jackson comes in surely Meek will not be needed.

If they kept Meek, and he played WAFL all year, his value goes down.
We’re coming into our window. We need injury backup which is more important than pick 30 turning into pick 50.

I think the trade most comparable to this situation would be when Hawthorn traded Marc Pittonet to Carlton despite very much wanting to hold onto him.

Hawthorn didn't get much in return but let him go to allow him greater opportunity.

Hawks gave up Pittonet & Pick 61
Carlton gave up pick 54 and 63.

Pittonet was only 23 and is now Carlton's no.1 ruck.

Do I think Meek will be as cheap? No. But I think anything better than a pick in the late 30's is overs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back