Prediction Changes: Round 2 Vs North Melbourne + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was especially keen to see how he went with his contested marking across the preseason sessions & sims/games I got to. Thinking if he gets that right it'll be a massive addition to our attacking weapons. While not clunking them left right and centre, he was clunking them more as the preseason went on. The pack marks he took were really exciting from that perspective.
Yeah his first half against port was damn exciting. I was grinning from ear to ear thinking about how fun it's going to be watching that all year.
But that's a small snapshot, do you know from your longer observation if that's his median or his 99th centile peak that will rarely be seen?

I was especially keen to see how he went with his contested marking across the preseason sessions & sims/games I got to. Thinking if he gets that right it'll be a massive addition to our attacking weapons. While not clunking them left right and centre, he was clunking them more as the preseason went on. The pack marks he took were really exciting from that perspective.
Fair enough, so from you have seen of him in the pre-season he is getting better over time?

Nothing drastic needs to happen in regards changes you have to back the players in or lose them to mental demons. Treacy and Fyfe (even Jackson) need some consistency and confidence. The guys kicking into the 50 also need confidence in them to ensure fast ball movement, that doesn't happen by not playing them.
Tabs is too slow now and the structure with Fyfe is not working as they are counteracting each other and clogging things up.
One of the two needs to make room for the future.

In:
Johnson, Dris (only if ready), Amiss, Sturt

Out:
O'Meara, Hughs, Tabs, Banfield

I think though Freo will only replace Tabs and possibly Hughs

Nothing drastic needs to happen in regards changes you have to back the players in or lose them to mental demons. Treacy and Fyfe (even Jackson) need some consistency and confidence. The guys kicking into the 50 also need confidence in them to ensure fast ball movement, that doesn't happen by not playing them.
Tabs is too slow now and the structure with Fyfe is not working as they are counteracting each other and clogging things up.
One of the two needs to make room for the future.

In:
Johnson, Dris (only if ready), Amiss, Sturt

Out:
O'Meara, Hughs, Tabs, Banfield

I think though Freo will only replace Tabs and possibly Hughs
I agree with all of that. Only, I don't think JOM will be dropped unless it is due to injury (at least that's how it will be announced to the media) as he is in the leadership group and that might send out the wrong message. I can't remember but was Blakely in the leadership group when he started getting dropped?

If Jeager wasn't dropped to allow one of those ins into the team, could we possibly put Brodie out for a week or so?

I think one of Tabs or Treacy has to go for Amiss. Both were pantsed and to be honest, showed a lack of ability given how much they were beaten. We need talent up front and Amiss has it in spades.

Preferably Noddy or MJ then comes in for Hughes and that would be about it. No need to chuck everything out, just actually embrace talent and encourage the team to play on through instinct, North's defence is a long long long way off St Kildas, back the forwards to win their one on ones and back our defence to hold up if it turns over

I agree with all of that. Only, I don't think JOM will be dropped unless it is due to injury (at least that's how it will be announced to the media) as he is in the leadership group and that might send out the wrong message. I can't remember but was Blakely in the leadership group when he started getting dropped?

If Jeager wasn't dropped to allow one of those ins into the team, could we possibly put Brodie out for a week or so?
Brodie is going nowhere

I think one of Tabs or Treacy has to go for Amiss. Both were pantsed and to be honest, showed a lack of ability given how much they were beaten. We need talent up front and Amiss has it in spades.

Preferably Noddy or MJ then comes in for Hughes and that would be about it. No need to chuck everything out, just actually embrace talent and encourage the team to play on through instinct, North's defence is a long long long way off St Kildas, back the forwards to win their one on ones and back our defence to hold up if it turns over
Yep Reaction GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E

Amiss would have been fed to the lions had he played last week. With nowhere to lead he’d get monstered.

Big game already for JLo, Collingwood gave the blueprint to dismantle our game to the league and Lyon executed with a bunch of no names. Now an even better coach and bunch of no names step up. Little chance of coming back after 2 losses to a couple of weaker teams.

Because after one bad game we are literally the worst team in the afl apparently.

Far far too many freo fans enjoy losing more than winning and some of the things being said both here and on social media are quite simply ridiculous. We don't actually need mass changes to improve, we just need the guys in the team to lift. Dropping good players after one bad game will make us worse, not better. Drizz, Walters and possibly sturt in would be the only changes

Chris Connelly would still be in charge if it was up too you

Normally I just let your ‘ the club can do no wrong ‘s**t go everyone gets their say on here after all but who are you to set other fan’s expectations

Big game already for JLo, Collingwood gave the blueprint to dismantle our game to the league and Lyon executed with a bunch of no names. Now an even better coach and bunch of no names step up. Little chance of coming back after 2 losses to a couple of weaker teams.
Collingwood's gameplan wasn't to nullify ours. Their gameplan was/is superior to ours and we couldn't compete with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah his first half against port was damn exciting. I was grinning from ear to ear thinking about how fun it's going to be watching that all year.
But that's a small snapshot, do you know from your longer observation if that's his median or his 99th centile peak that will rarely be seen?

Fair enough, so from you have seen of him in the pre-season he is getting better over time?
He certainly improved across the preseason from what I could see. He grew across a number of dimensions too. Aforementioned pack marking, ruck work and getting to more contests are strings he'd added (to).

It's hard to say where his ceiling is. It's all down to his marking I reckon. No small thing though.

I see two changes to the team that lost to the Saints. I think that Walters and O'Driscoll will both come into the 23 atleast.
Walters played three quarters in the intra club at Peel on the weekend.
O'Driscoll played an entire game and though having a quiet first half, played well after half time.
Noddy certainly has that X factor . He has speed , good decision making and can kick the almost impossible goals. In for me.
Walters would add that leadeship to the forward line that was missing in Sunday.

Last edited:
I see two changes to the team that lost to the Saints. I think that Walters and O'Donnel will both come into the23 atleast.
Waltersplayed three quarters in the intra club at Peel on the weekend.
O'Donnell played an entire game and though having a quiet first half, played well after half time.
Noddy certainly has that X factor . He has speed , good decision making and can kick the almost impossible goals> In for me.
Walters would add that leadeship to the forward line that was missing in Sunday.
*O'Driscoll

and you spelt Sturt wrong :p

I know there's nothing else they can say, but the players in the media already early this week like Brodie and Switta talking the big talk about how they're going to respond this week is shrug-the-shoulders stuff to me. C'mon guys, you're playing against the wooden spooners on our home deck, having failed to meet a bigger challenge away against a mid-table team the prior game
I wish we were playing Melbourne this week not North Melbourne. They'd be saying the exact same thing but we'd have a much better idea after a game against a contender if talk is cheap.
Also - since when is Brodie the Wiz?

Amiss for Tabs
NOD for Hughes

Sturt sub, banish Banfield for good. Looks like they're pushing hard for Sonny to get back but would prefer another week at Peel, can't have too many guys with low TOG playing all at once.

I particularly like the banish Banfield idea. Seriously, he's a depth player and with our current injury list, there's no way this bloke should be considered best 23.

I particularly like the banish Banfield idea. Seriously, he's a depth player and with our current injury list, there's no way this bloke should be considered best 23.

Get prepared for disappointment. Good chance it is Banfield into the 22 for Taberner. The main thing stopping it would be if Walters is deemed fit and JL can go back to his 1 wood of playing 4 x small forwards and Banfield as the sub.

NOD for Hughes could also happen, depending on fitness.

If JL gets more imaginative than that, then I will be surprised.

Get prepared for disappointment. Good chance it is Banfield into the 22 for Taberner. The main thing stopping it would be if Walters is deemed fit and JL can go back to his 1 wood of playing 4 x small forwards and Banfield as the sub.

NOD for Hughes could also happen, depending on fitness.

If JL gets more imaginative than that, then I will be surprised.
Banners > Sturt
Hughes > Noddy

Give Walters another week as he is on managed minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back