News Live Pass scrapped - Kayo now sole streaming option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Kayo won't let you access their site if you are using a VPN.

I wonder how many people out there would be happy to pay the $25 per month, but can't, due to the VPN ban.

Many (most?) of those people will simply make their way to the free streams which can be found on teh interwebz.

It's a lose-lose situation. The free streams can be unreliable at times (I've heard), and Kayo/AFL miss out on customers.

I'm sure they've got well-educated egg-heads crunching the numbers on all of this, and they figure the VPN ban is best for business.

Fair enough, it's their business. But it's a shame for those people who use VPNs (for whatever reason).

Where the fu** is the apps for Xbox and Playstation? They've been saying for over 2 years that it's "on the way".

They are struggling to keep up, Kayo was launched unfinished and the demand caught them by surprise. For some reason they assumed people actually liked paying for the other garbage on Foxtel.

I wonder how many people out there would be happy to pay the $25 per month, but can't, due to the VPN ban.

Many (most?) of those people will simply make their way to the free streams which can be found on teh interwebz.

It's a lose-lose situation. The free streams can be unreliable at times (I've heard), and Kayo/AFL miss out on customers.

I'm sure they've got well-educated egg-heads crunching the numbers on all of this, and they figure the VPN ban is best for business.

Fair enough, it's their business. But it's a shame for those people who use VPNs (for whatever reason).
WORKS with VPN...previously discussed.

(how good is it to watch AFL and UFC at the same time ?)
(and Sat nite, 2 AFL games at same time)

Last edited:
They are struggling to keep up, Kayo was launched unfinished and the demand caught them by surprise. For some reason they assumed people actually liked paying for the other garbage on Foxtel.

kayo is awesome. Only knock is I wish it streamed epl:(

well there's this to consider

Kayo is an Australian brand that shows sporting content from all over the world. Due to licensing rights with our global partners, you have to be in Australia to watch sports on Kayo.

I guess if you're really tight for money due to economic downturn...just forego the live watching (or use "streams" instead) then wait a day, all replays will be free on AFL website.

I got a free 3 month Kayo code from my sportsbet account. That will get me to June.

Where the fu** is the apps for Xbox and Playstation? They've been saying for over 2 years that it's "on the way".

My main TV has an xbox and I am hanging for an app, however my 2nd and 3rd TVs have a chromecast. That does the job of watching Kayo on the big screen.

I got a free 3 month Kayo code from my sportsbet account. That will get me to June.

My main TV has an xbox and I am hanging for an app, however my 2nd and 3rd TVs have a chromecast. That does the job of watching Kayo on the big screen.
I have a Chromecast for my TV too although all my HDMI ports are used, and the TV is wall mounted so it's a pain in the arse to constantly plug in the Chromecast.

But I've been reading up that I can AirPlay via my laptop to my TV so I will try that from tonight.

I'd just like an app for the Xbox as I prefer to use that for my entertainment needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a Chromecast for my TV too although all my HDMI ports are used, and the TV is wall mounted so it's a pain in the arse to constantly plug in the Chromecast.

But I've been reading up that I can AirPlay via my laptop to my TV so I will try that from tonight.

I'd just like an app for the Xbox as I prefer to use that for my entertainment needs.
never had an Xbox but why don't you just get a browser for the Xbox, then use the browser to watch kayo?

old article:

Last edited:

Same here re: Xbox and the entertainment. I have the media remote that controls the sound bar and TV so just turn the xbox on and everything turns on.

I had the TV tuner going too but that stopped working. Not sure if its a software update or the tuner is busted.

never had an Xbox but why don't you just get a browser for the Xbox, then use the browser to watch kayo?

old article:

Most of the feedback I read that it was cumbersome to use via the browser. Might check it out for myself tonight though. Probably easier to use AirPlay at this stage.

Discussed where?
Things have changed for, for me anyway.

Kayo kept blocking VPN's and sometimes it took several days to get Kayo.
I tried several times and had an expensive VPN as well.
I only used it because I'm overseas and found it hard to get the cricket.

The VPN was about $20 PM plus the Kayo $25.
I only use it for cricket as I get the footy on watchafl.

Things have changed for, for me anyway.

Kayo kept blocking VPN's and sometimes it took several days to get Kayo.
I tried several times and had an expensive VPN as well.
I only used it because I'm overseas and found it hard to get the cricket.

The VPN was about $20 PM plus the Kayo $25.
I only use it for cricket as I get the footy on watchafl.
VPN $20 PM ? are you saying per month ? must be a typo, that's daylight robbery.

VPN $20 PM ? are you saying per month ? must be a typo, that's daylight robbery.
I had the best results with Expressvpn.
You can get it cheaper for long term deals but I paid monthly as
I didn't need it after the cricket season and I've been burnt before on long term offers.

Monthly rate was about $17 per month.

Edit: I've mentioned previously, I signed up for an Iptv for half the price

How can AFL/Telstra do this when people may have signed up to Telstra plans only because of this? Legally how can this happen
Telstra has a ‘fair go’ clause in all their contracts that states any part of the contract can change at their discretion.

I work at a rival telco, and last year Telstra force migrated everyone to their new plans, some customers were forced from grandfathered plans into plans that were $30/40/50 more expensive than their original plan price.

Same deal here. Telstra offered Free Pass for AFL/NRL, now they don’t and per contract that’s tough s**t.

Telstra has a ‘fair go’ clause in all their contracts that states any part of the contract can change at their discretion.

I work at a rival telco, and last year Telstra force migrated everyone to their new plans, some customers were forced from grandfathered plans into plans that were $30/40/50 more expensive than their original plan price.

Same deal here. Telstra offered Free Pass for AFL/NRL, now they don’t and per contract that’s tough sh*t.

Sounds like Telstra. They are devil spawn.

Can't you use the chromecast with the xbox rather than the TV?

Can't you use the chromecast with the xbox rather than the TV?
I'm googling now, and this seems possible. Seems like it needs to be plugged into the Xbox input HDMI....I will report back later lol

Much prefer Kayo, personally. The ability to easily play it on a full TV with decent resolution far outweighs the benefit of unmetered football. If I’m out and using mobile data, I’m usually busy so have no capacity to watch the footy and, besides, when my team is playing I’m either not watching on my phone because I’m watching on TV or at the game. I do, however, appreciate that many people relied on unmetered streaming so it’s a major PITA for them.

My main hope is that Foxtel pull their fingers out and properly upgrade Kayo. Still no apps for some TV OS’s, for game consoles, Amazon tv etc. They’re selling this (and their TV/movie streaming option, Binge) at a premium price point, but without the option of 4K, and barely/never reaching genuine 1080p. Unacceptable compared to other options, and I can’t see Telstra extending the discount beyond this year, which is the only thing that makes this palatable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back