Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Adelaide (R22, Sat 17/08 4:35pm AO)

Remove this Banner Ad

Without being at the game I can’t comment with certainty around the ones where he lost out defensively, but my count was two. Both due to missed tackles the Petracca goal (ripper BTW) and one on the members wing that let them out the back can’t for the life of me remember the player.

What I’m weighing up is whose our most vulnerable defender to Moore’s return. Maynard was our worst defensively yesterday, but he’s safe. To me it’s an easy one for the Mayne lovers though because it’s out of him and Madgen so you just moves Mayne up onto a wing where his momentum killing ball movement hurts us more in place of Daicos...

I know it won’t happen, but I’d drop one of Phillips/ Daicos for Noble and once he’s fit Moore comes in for Mayne. I’d personally be keeping Madgen in because we need a foil for whichever of Moore or Roughead is down back.

Last edited:

If you read on they say Essendon make the 8....and everyone conveniently forgets Pies beat West Coast in Perth. Adelaide lost to them by 10 points. Bombers were completely thrashed and are ravaged by injuries. And we cannot win 2 games against Adelaide and Essendon? Happy to fly under the radar and we do best as underdogs but this annoyed me as the top 4 all play each other so it makes no sense.
Richmond play WCE.
Richmond play Brisbane.
Brisbane play Geelong.
Newsflash, they cannot all win.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We did ourselves absolutely no favours on Saturday! Putting the cue in the rack and conceding the last 4 goals knocked us down from a % of over 115 which would have given us a much better chance of potentially overhauling both Brisbane and Richmond. Buckley touching on it in the presser indicated to me that he was none too pleased with it.

Personally I’d like us to just concentrate on winning our last two to give us 4 on the trot in the lead up to finals. The Collingwood thing to do would be to win this week and WC to roll Richmond only for us to be rolled by Essendon...

Last edited:
Personally I’d like us to just concentrate on winning our last two to give us 4 on the trot in the lead up to finals. The Collingwood thing to do would be to win this week and WC to roll Richmond only for us to be rolled by Essendon...

I reckon this is exactly how it'll pan out.

PS leave Mayney alone!!!

I don't think the club will travel either of JDG or Moore to Adelaide next week, but both will definitely play against the Bumbers.
Only change that could happen is Daicos out to concussion, with the Noble one coming in.
In projecting forward to the Bumbers game, l would rest Grundy, prior to the first final. Give Lynch a taste of senior footy, plus the Bumbers are cooked, and are playing on fumes.

There is a week off before finals already, so no need to have players miss games

I reckon this is exactly how it'll pan out.

PS leave Mayney alone!!!

Absolutely nothing to do with Mayney because I wouldn’t have the slightest issue with both Phillips and Daicos being dropped for Noble and Moore. I just like winning so I’m a fan of picking the team that gives us the best chance at that 🤷‍♂️

We're $2.05 if anyone likes free money...
Didn't watch the game but Crows only lost by 10 to the Eagles. It won't be an easy kill as you expect, will not be won by turning up for just two quarters as we seem to do these days

We are a long shot to make the four - the article is correct.

We need to win both our games (Adelaide in Adelaide the tougher one given they are pushing hard to make finals, although Essendon could serve up their best and would beat us in that case).

And we need Richmond to lose one of their games. They play two interstate teams at the MCG... We also need to maintain our percentage advantage against them - which is tight.

We are a long shot to make the four - the article is correct.

We need to win both our games (Adelaide in Adelaide the tougher one given they are pushing hard to make finals, although Essendon could serve up their best and would beat us in that case).

And we need Richmond to lose one of their games. They play two interstate teams at the MCG... We also need to maintain our percentage advantage against them - which is tight.

“Almost certainly” means that we are very very unlikely to make top 4.
Richmond is playing the 2nd and 3rd best team. Actually, they’re playing the best teams in the league since the top spot is occupied by 3 teams atm.

The other (unlikely) path to top 4 is if we win both our games and West Coast lose to Richmond and Hawthorn, and we close the percentage difference between us

That would be ironic if hawthorn gifted us a top four spot by not only knocking gws out but also West Coast

What we do know for a fact is that if we beat Adelaide we will go into round 23 with a live top four chance. This is because our game against Essendon is on the Friday night.

Win both our games and we are in the top four on Friday night after the bombers game. Then the pressure will be on one or both of West Coast and Richmond to win. Or even Brisbane possibly.

What we also know for a fact is that Richmond West Coast And Brisbane are guaranteed to lose two games between them in the next two rounds. Brisbane also have to play the top side.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 724860

“Almost certainly miss out on a top-four spot”..... how do these people have jobs???

Richmond play WCE (3rd) & Brisbane(2nd). They lose 1. We jump them. It’s not rocket science.

Nuffie.
As much as I hate the crap the AFL media dish out in this scenario I don't think it is such a biased comment.
If we win our remaining two games we still have a chance, but a lot of other things would need to go our way and that's if we win our remaining games.
I don't think this comment is too outlandish.

As much as I hate the crap the AFL media dish out in this scenario I don't think it is such a biased comment.
If we win our remaining two games we still have a chance, but a lot of other things would need to go our way and that's if we win our remaining games.

We’ll know in 14 days!

Didn't watch the game but Crows only lost by 10 to the Eagles. It won't be an easy kill as you expect, will not be won by turning up for just two quarters as we seem to do these days
Yep the Crows were extremely competitive. Sloane will play, he is a bull and the Crows finals chances hinge on this game.
Will be a close one, especially with the weather being s**t too.

You're right.

On the plus side we went to Adelaide Oval last year after Adelaide had just knocked off Richmond and hadn't yet lost the plot. We destroyed them, and although Stephenson played a big part in that, I think we'll go to Adelaide with a fair bit of confidence.

It’s not “ a lot having to go our way” really. Richmond just need to drop a game against one of two top four opponents they play.

There are other more unlikely permutations that could get us into the top four, but this is the simplest and is not a stretch of the imagination.
It’s not a

It’s not “ a lot having to go our way” really. Richmond just need to drop a game against one of two top four opponents they play.

There are other more unlikely permutations that could get us into the top four, but this is the simplest and is not a stretch of the imagination.
It’s not a
But it's not just "Richmond need to do this" Timmy.
People are speaking as if us winning our remaining games is a given.
We have to win both our games and on top of that the "Richmond just need to do this" type stuff comes into play.
I obviously hope I have egg on my face in two weeks time but playing around with the ladder predictor suggests to me that top 4 is unlikely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back