Prediction Round 17: Changes Vs North Melbourne + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense Joao but that is 100% incorrect. Conca reliably makes at least one terrible mistake that either leads to a goal or a shot on goal every single game.

Generally it is holding the ball against, last night it was intentional OOB. He just has no class or creativity, just a blue collar work horse - which is fine.

I'm not calling for his head or to drop him but I'm in the camp where I think his shutting down skills are worth it but whenever he has ball in hand or about to receive it I find my self yelling "fu**, don't give it to Conca" or "Why the hell is he taking kick ins"
One terrible mistake I think is overstating it. Suspect it is somewhere in between.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want him taking kick ins or kicking in general but as long as he doesn't try anything risky he is fine. The defensive stuff + leadership has it easily in his favour.

I know you lot don’t like it, but Hogan has to play closer to goals than Tabs. He’s far too clever to be our lead up forward & if he’s not kicking them, he’s creating them with his subtle play.
He is much better when the ball hits the ground & once we do nail our ball movement he will kick multiple goals on the back lead as well.
We just look unpredictable with Hogan’s movement.

I know you lot don’t like it, but Hogan has to play closer to goals than Tabs. He’s far too clever to be our lead up forward & if he’s not kicking them, he’s creating them with his subtle play.
He is much better when the ball hits the ground & once we do nail our ball movement he will kick multiple goals on the back lead as well.
We just look unpredictable with Hogan’s movement.
Agree. He should be the last man in the goal square. But Hogan is the better lead up forward ie he knows when and how to run towards the ball kicker. The thing is Tabs and Hogan need to block for each other, run patterns to get free of their opponents. Hopefully that comes in time, just frustrating they tend to ask for the high ball when there’s space ahead of them to run into. The great teams like Richmond and West Coast get rewarded for their spacing and movement due to their understanding and blocking of one another.
Lynch and Riewoldt always end up one on one at times, which exactly what Tabs and Hogan need to do

He did something similar in the first quarter with a high ball coming in to a pack in the goal square and he paddled the ball to the side i thought 'wtf are you doing' then schultz comes into frame ball straight to him but his kick was spoiled by a desperate dive by a Stk player.
He is so smart....Cox actually did these sort of things too.

Edit - thought you were talking about Hogan

I was

I think a big part of his glee came from the fact that up until that point, Gawn had been monstering Darcy in the ruck, but on this occasion Darcy outpositioned Gawn and gave him a good ol' shove before taking the throw in cleanly and snapping truly.
I thought he would get pinged for in the back. Gawn took a bit of a dive there and opened up the play

No offense Joao but that is 100% incorrect. Conca reliably makes at least one terrible mistake that either leads to a goal or a shot on goal every single game.

Generally it is holding the ball against, last night it was intentional OOB. He just has no class or creativity, just a blue collar work horse - which is fine.

I'm not calling for his head or to drop him but I'm in the camp where I think his shutting down skills are worth it but whenever he has ball in hand or about to receive it I find my self yelling "fu**, don't give it to Conca" or "Why the hell is he taking kick ins"
Yep, averages 3 Clangers a game from very few possessions and they are generally under no pressure. Imo he looks lost with the footy this year because he is one of the few players who hasn't improved their skills this season or been replaced by someone better.

Gotta love when the North guy who comes here to start s**t goes back to the North board to whinge about people being fragile.

Yep, averages 3 Clangers a game from very few possessions and they are generally under no pressure. Imo he looks lost with the footy this year because he is one of the few players who hasn't improved their skills this season or been replaced by someone better.
A clanger isn't a turnover leading to goal though.

For example, Oliver had 10 clangers last night and Walters (who leads us for the season) had 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, but his 10 clangers didn't lead to 10 goals was my point. Lots of very good players have high clanger numbers.
Yeah i was just thinking out loud lol. What is the actual definition of a clanger? Like just a turnover? Was Wilson getting caught a clanger?

I thought he would get pinged for in the back. Gawn took a bit of a dive there and opened up the play
It was a ruck contest. I haven't checked to verify it, but from watching the game over recent years, I think that for ruck contests the rule book stipulates free kicks are to be given and withheld for no rhyme or reason.

It was a ruck contest. I haven't checked to verify it, but from watching the game over recent years, I think that for ruck contests the rule book stipulates free kicks are to be given and withheld for no rhyme or reason.
Also, no free kicks to be awarded if the ruckman is over 7 foot tall since they are already basically cheating.

Also, no free kicks to be awarded if the ruckman is over 7 foot tall since they are already basically cheating.
Meanwhile Darcy just needs to breathe on someone to give away a free. Sometimes it is there but plenty of times I watch the replay over and over again and I can't for the life of me work out what he has done to give away a free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back