Banter 2020 Finals Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is that the extra bye week may be working against the top teams.

The fact that there has been such a big swing is not a great sign as teams are getting disadvantaged from winning week 1 now, like brissy today had only played 1 game in 28 days and got pantsed.

Hope that puts it into perspective

Seems more like there was too much of an advantage for the top teams prior. 4/10 progression for week 1 winners while slightly under reasonable expectation is still insufficient to make any certain claims, it's only argued as such when you measure it up to the previous stat of 17/18 which is pretty silly. You would expect top 4 sides to trade far better against each other than that.

the advantage the top teams get is free progression to the prelim, I don't see why they would need more than that and it makes for a more interesting series.

The shorter games this a year would negate any of the advantage the break should give a team to be still running hard at the end of the game - or at the end of each quarter.

Thinking back to 2015, by resting a lot of players in the final round against Port, we did the same thing - giving most of our players a bye before the bye round was introduced, and it didn't do us any good.

Last edited:

Anyone who thinks that we’re closer to a flag than Brisbane need to stop and think how we would’ve gone against Geelong last night. Home ground or not, they would’ve demolished us.

I’m not saying that they’ll win a flag before us because that’s impossible to predict but not to acknowledge that their team last night has a lot of growth in it shows a complete lack of football insight.

Anyone who thinks that we’re closer to a flag than Brisbane need to stop and think how we would’ve gone against Geelong last night. Home ground or not, they would’ve demolished us.

I’m not saying that they’ll win a flag before us because that’s impossible to predict but not to acknowledge that their team last night has a lot of growth in it shows a complete lack of football insight.
Probably the same to what happened at Optus this year, they beat us up.

Reckon both teams looked equally inept against Geelong this year. Clear class or two above both teams.

Reckon both teams looked equally inept against Geelong this year. Clear class or two above both teams.

Exactly. So why the childish and arrogant comments on here from some? I’d expect them from entitled WC supporters but not Freo supporters. We’re not even making finals let alone showing that we’re a flag contender.

Exactly. So why the childish and arrogant comments on here from some? I’d expect them from entitled WC supporters but not Freo supporters. We’re not even making finals let alone showing that we’re a flag contender.
Cats also smashed the Pies, but it looks like it has finally clicked with Danger playing forward rather than kick it
To Hawkins.
If we follow the magpie path, or 2013 Freo, expect the same results, scoreboard pressure wins finals.

this, we might be hoping that we overtake them in the next year or two (not saying it’s going to happen, but we hope it does), but the side who’s finished top 2, 2 years running and lost in a prelim last night is clearly closer to a flag than the side who hasn’t made finals since 2015

I think they have maturer players on their list. I feel we have more potential. We aren't the finished product yet. They still have a lot of role players imo.

Sounds reasonable to me. If some work place told me I sucked and then two years later tried to get me to join them when they realised in fact I was awesome I too would give them the middle finger.
Or maybe .. just maybe ..he told him he needed to work on some things in order to get better and thus drafted )which he did btw )rather than the more headline grabbing that ross told him “that he plain sucked”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they have maturer players on their list. I feel we have more potential. We aren't the finished product yet. They still have a lot of role players imo.

I agree that we have a lot of potential but I’m also sure the Bris fans think they do too. They’re far from finished too and unlike us, they’re actually experiencing high pressure finals football.

Wasn’t the story that Kelly didn’t want to come to us because he’d had a chat with Ross at some stage before he was drafted and Ross said he wasn’t good enough? Fair enough he didn’t want to come to us while Ross was still here.

That was one story floating around on the internet . Another suggested his wife hated the partners of the Hill brothers. Both stories have as about as much substance as each other.

I agree that we have a lot of potential but I’m also sure the Bris fans think they do too. They’re far from finished too and unlike us, they’re actually experiencing high pressure finals football.
Rayner is a worry, should be able to rotate midfield and contribute.

Rayner is a worry, should be able to rotate midfield and contribute.

Absolutely, so too Hipwood. Neither are living up to the hype and I doubt they get much better than they are now. But they’ve got others that will improve - Berry and McCluggage in particular got a great lesson last night.

That’s just because they are further down the road. They had it particularly easy this year. We would have made finals if we had played the majority of games in WA. I’ll judge us on next year and the following.

Absolutely, so too Hipwood. Neither are living up to the hype and I doubt they get much better than they are now. But they’ve got others that will improve - Berry and McCluggage in particular got a great lesson last night.
Only top ten pick not to excite yet is Henry, add Sturt and we have the nucleus of a good side.
A good mix of skill and brawn.

Um.. Geelong demolishes Brisbane anyway. Just saying Brisbane can’t go around saying oh it’s part of the process, or we ll get there. No guarantees. Been very very lucky in terms of home games as well as injuries.
Harris Andrews was the only injury for them, and he came back within 2-3 week.

Or maybe .. just maybe ..he told him he needed to work on some things in order to get better and thus drafted )which he did btw )rather than the more headline grabbing that ross told him “that he plain sucked”

Yeah maybe. We all dance around the ring and suppose while the secret sits in the middle and knows.

We don't simply have upside based on development of our youth. We have upside based on injuries to spine as well as other players who re core to our game plan. That has been a major inhibitor of our finals aspirations.

I am expecting finals next season. In fact now that we have been forced to develop players in an injury riddled environment I don't see an excuse for not being right in the mix for the top 8. GF talk is adventurous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back