Game Day Geelong vs Collingwood Practice Match @11AM

Remove this Banner Ad

Just quietly.. how good was that Henry mark in the first qrt.. kala.. that was beautiful to watch.. taste of things to come.
When I first started watching the Pies live - 56 years ago our captain was one Terry Waters - 'sticky fingers' was his nick and it was apt.

Young Henry gave me flashbacks with that mark.

OK, I'm willing to admit I have Sier blinkers, but I really want the guy to succeed. What did so many see today that gives him a certain call up for R1? He played all his time in the middle did he not? He got a few touches, but if he's to be the player many here are predicting (and in the media) then he needs a huge upswing. I'm still a doubter.

I think he burned you and now you’re scarred! 🤣

You were a huge supporter early on and he repeatedly let himself down. I think he made us all feel like jilted lovers!

Go back and watch his 2018 highlights package on YouTube to remind yourself of what he is capable of.

Personally, I think he’ll cement himself into the best 22 if he can get through a solid block of 6-8 consecutive games without injury.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

When I first started watching the Pies live - 56 years ago our captain was one Terry Waters - 'sticky fingers' was his nick and it was apt.

Young Henry gave me flashbacks with that mark.

i think I went to my first pies game in the very early 70’s when he was our skipper donning the #1 guernsey.
hell of a player.

i think I went to my first pies game in the very early 70’s when he was our skipper donning the #1 guernsey.
hell of a player.
Absolutely - I have the entire teams signatures and some jokes/anecdotes in a much treasured autograph book. Back in the days when supporters were allowed to actually be in the same postcode as the players.

Value your opinion probably the most on this board as it usually comes with very little bias towards any player, what stood out with JT? Barely seen him mentioned here, I did not watch the game.

Edit: I agree with you on the concern with the Henry pick at the time, his player type often gets drafted a bit later and leads to a Mason Wood type result, kudos to the club for making a ballsy pick imo

To provide context JT was, IMO, below Brown coming out of 2020. Their output was similarly meh, but at least with Brown you could say he’s still building. Basically my expectations were very low.

Today I liked what he did off the ball and how he worked up the field more. He wasn’t super busy, but he had a couple of nice involvements. That to me very much exceeded my expectations. It’s also not something I’d expect him to be hyped up over.

Apples I also didn’t see it with Sier. I’d be shocked if he got more than 3 clear possessions and whilst he probably got a bit of that messy in close stuff none of it impacted the game. It was neither a step forward or back for me and I’m likewise intrigued by people rating his performance.

To provide context JT was, IMO, below Brown coming out of 2020. Their output was similarly meh, but at least with Brown you could say he’s still building. Basically my expectations were very low.

Today I liked what he did off the ball and how he worked up the field more. He wasn’t super busy, but he had a couple of nice involvements. That to me very much exceeded my expectations. It’s also not something I’d expect him to be hyped up over.

Apples I also didn’t see it with Sier. I’d be shocked if he got more than 3 clear possessions and whilst he probably got a bit of that messy in close stuff none of it impacted the game. It was neither a step forward or back for me and I’m likewise intrigued by people rating his performance.
Many desperate for him to fulfil his very early promise but with each passing season that is getting more and more tarnished.

Surely must be his last year if he doesn't perform.

I think if our back-line stays healthy, we'll be fine, Sier whilst not a lot of it today goes hard & is quick with good hands, just needs a good run, Liked Ollie, IQ & Noble and I'll be honest wasn't a fan of Bianco but went ok today. For me it's still ball use off our Half back line and hitting targets + first use out of the middle and stopping ball coming out of our forward line too easily ( like today's game ).

Not too impressed by that, same old same old to me, some new faces but not going to go anywhere this year. I will admit I do want a new coach and game plan, look at the women’s team and their development under a new coach.
Anyway, I hope we go well and the young players develop into a promising group.
Why aren't we going anywhere? It all depends on form but we still have a very good list.

Doesn't look like we will blood anymore draftees next week. Skipworth said they will look to settle the team for the richmond game. Macrae is around the mark and just missed out, but those that dont play should play in the vfl hitout

Just like a normal fox footy, channel 7 telecast
Duckwood is a media darling, an obscenely talented player and an absolute scumbag who insists on playing for cheapies off his flouro funkies who feed him freebies knowing he is creating the infringement himself.

Noble on the wing? yes please and thank you. I think we've found his best position.
He looked so good, both ways running. Excited to see next Fri if they use him on the wing again. Henry was impressive and I had high hopes with Bianco. The kid finds it but I was gutted with his disposal. I only watched the second half and was on the treadmill the whole time. I was more concerned I didn't pass out than the game I guess.

Bring on Friday. Forgot how much I dislike the tigers. Hoping to 'rip em apart' and get through injury free.

Thanks Jen for all your reports. Your a keeper. 👏👏👏

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, I'm willing to admit I have Sier blinkers, but I really want the guy to succeed. What did so many see today that gives him a certain call up for R1? He played all his time in the middle did he not? He got a few touches, but if he's to be the player many here are predicting (and in the media) then he needs a huge upswing. I'm still a doubter.
This is a general opinion Apples bc I haven’t watched the game but we just need his ilk in the guts and hopefully he has the tank to play a lot of minutes in there.
I’m not worried about his disposal from the contest, I just value his best at getting first hands on it. We get pushed off the ball too much.
Hoping that McCrae/Reef and Poulter add size in coming seasons to make us a true force
In the meantime...let’s use our new cap space to grab Petracca at the end of the year

Pretty happy with that as a hitout. Less than 100% intensity but blew the cobwebs out, dosen't appear to be any injuries. Hopefully we see a step up again in the game against the Tigas.

Thought the major difference was ball use. Players like Sidey, Howe, Bianco and Moore shanking disposals at the wrong time gave them too much opportunity after 1/4 time. Conversely, their ball use was generally clinical allowing them to spread with confidence.

Good 1st up display from Henry, very impressive. Wouldn't surprise to see him earn a spot for R1.

Thought Bianco did some good work only to be let down with his kicking. Quicker than I'd expected.

Thought the Brown brothers both worked really hard. A definite improvement from both of them on 2020.

I thought Noble was good but another who's kicking wasn't as good as we've come to expect.

Thought Murphy looked good on a wing. Hopefully he gets to make that position his own.

Thought Cox had an impact when he came onto the ground, marked strongly on a few occasions and crashed some packs on others. Elliott and Ruscoe both beneficiaries of his work.

Thought the connectivity wasn't quite right but not totally unexpected given the numbers of inexperienced or relatively inexperienced players getting rotated through the lines.

Last edited:
I don't think Noble is super creative or skillful.. what he has got going for him is his professionalism and his work-rate.. someone you can deploy out there to do a simple job getting into space and providing a link for those in the guts.. lacks game breaking tactical awareness for mine.. has a tendency of picking up the pill and launching it to a pack.. or to a free target up ahead.. without looking at other potential options.

Handy to have.. if he doesn't get found out..

By the way, Melbourne just beat the Tigers in their practice match. Another reason to not read too much from results of these games.
FFS give it a rest.

We know that Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Martin and co just want to get through injury free but we don’t have many rep standard players who can cruise and then turn it on when the big games come up.

I don't think Noble is super creative or skillful.. what he has got going for him is his professionalism and his work-rate.. someone you can deploy out there to do a simple job getting into space and providing a link for those in the guts.. lacks game breaking tactical awareness for mine.. has a tendency of picking up the pill and launching it to a pack.. or to a free target up ahead.. without looking at other potential options.
Bit like Firmino

FFS give it a rest.

We know that Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Martin and co just want to get through injury free but we don’t have many rep standard players who can cruise and then turn it on when the big games come up.
Mick just because some are upbeat (I'm keeping my powder dry) doesn't make the daydreamers - too many downbeaters are free with their criticisms but can't stand to be opposed.

When all is said and done it's a very soft practice game and one which we clearly signalled we were going to experiment in.

I'm not convinced either way and won't be until the first bye.

Ability to get back into the game promising, but agree that same issues are there. Along with the game. Static man on the mark made the game look like a non-contact sport / netball, but did the required at getting the ball to move quicker. Rule disnt stop the Cats from clogging the backline though, which will be a problem for our game unless they create zones.

Cats looked too strong / big for us in contests (De Goey & Adams missed), and the amount of dropped marks and turnovers, plus some players looking too slow still frustrates. Standing 5m off the mark also a stupid habit that we havent rectified.

Greenwood twice tried to handball to Cats players 10 - 15m out from goal... which eventually led to Miers and a goal. Too slow and panicked with his lack of pace and poor decision. The ability to find an elite handball in congestion, to get out of trouble so important at this level now. Turnovers are crucified by all teams.
Roughead dropped marks and fumbled. Will be exposed this season.
Thomas kicked it straight to an opposition player twice in a 20 second passage. Head scratcher...
Madgen kick straight out of bounds, without pressure. Shouldnt happen at this level.
Bianco pushed off the ball a few times.

Dont care that it is a praccy match, old habits die hard, and players should train as they want to play, and care more when they stuff up. Players know they will never be dragged for indiscretions anymore (more reg season targeted comment), and laconic nature after errors to show some kind of 'strong mentality' or 'quick ability to move on' still annoys me.

On positive side, Grundy is back... best on for me. Crisp also v good, and Elliott... Sier deserves to start, and Henry impressed. Reads the play so much better than other players. T Brown also showed he belongs, whilst Daicos had a quiet day and gave away a stupid 50m penalty. Again, train as you expect to play.

Bit to work with there, but we are still a gun key back & forward short, along with our young mids needing to develop to give us a chance to threaten imo. Hurry up Macrae, Poulter, Reef and Mcmahon........... and hopefully Keane / Tohill

I think we need to remember that Kardinia Park is still a long narrow ground and that the Cats know it better and exploit those aspects of the ground better than any other team. Hardly surprising that they're able to stifle movement. I think the salient point wasn't that they were able to stifle us at times, but rather we were able to get the game back on equal terms after Q1 and could potentially have won it.

Thought he was back at the form level he was running into before getting injured last year. Worked a lot harder without the footy and was able on numerous occasions to get a deflection on a Cats disposal at those clearances. Won some clearances of his own. Also ran forward of the footy better and was used. Hard to know without being at the game how hard he was working off-screen (especially defensively) and what his opponent was doing.

Doesn't look like we will blood anymore draftees next week. Skipworth said they will look to settle the team for the richmond game. Macrae is around the mark and just missed out, but those that dont play should play in the vfl hitout

So Henry and Bianco are only Debut Chance.

Have to watch VFL Games to see Draftees

Remove this Banner Ad

Back