Game Day Geelong vs Collingwood Practice Match @11AM

Remove this Banner Ad

It sounds like we did a lot better than last year’s semi final,but that wouldn’t be hard.:).It’s also surprising that there were so few younger players playing.I think Henry and Bianco were the only ones,weren’t they?

Missed early part of the first quarter and pieces of the second due to work commitments but saw all of the second half. Will leave the deeper analysis for those who were able to watch a lot closer, but my initial thoughts were:

- Henry looks a great get. Good hands and moves well - should be a joy to watch for years to come
- Bear didn't have a big day, but was strong and moved well. Hopefully plays R1 as he'll be a great partner to Adams and Pendles in the center bounce
- T Brown also had a quieter day but had some good moments. Nice mark and goal i50 and a few nice steps through traffic. Should come on in 2021
- Daics is silk, but we didn't need a pre-season "friendly" to know that
- Elliott and Ruscoe were lively up forward. Jamie is class i50 and I predict Ruscoe becoming a difficult match up down the track with his mix of athleticism and size, would like to see a bit more defensive effort applied from him though.
- Noble might have been our BOG. Moved really nicely and gathered the ball at will. His disposal looks sharper and he's making the right decision ball in hand
- Murphy came on and spent time on the wing. Didn't do a heck of a lot but dropped back into defense at times to impact contests and found a bit of it around the ground
- Grundy and Cox both rucked well. Good to see them prepared to take the ball out of the air and look to move the play. Mason had a few good moments as a FWD too. A good mark to set up a goal and some good follow up acts to earn himself one very late.
- Back 6 was ok. Moore and Rough had a few moments they might like back but on the whole were fine. IQ, Bruz and Crisp were solid without a lot of their usual run and flair but I think that will come. Howe looked good on return and Madgen was solid throughout.
- Was hoping to see something out of C Brown but he was quite vanilla. Thomas too had some good patches but ultimately wasn't great in a game where he could've staked a spot ahead of some youngsters but has probably opened the door to the chasing pack. WHE similar in that sense.
- Saw glimmers of the faster ball movement we've heard about. Hopefully it was a matter of pacing ourselves through the first competitive hit out and we'll see more fast play against the Tigers along with the likes of Adams and JDG returning.

A few things I took away from that:

- Noble, JT and Elliott were the guys that impressed beyond what I’d hoped to see from established guys. Everyone else was pretty much at or below their level with the guys below primarily because they set a high bar.
- My vibe on Henry was wrong. Kid can play and will be better than Stephenson as early as 2021.
- New man on the mark rule worked well.
- Howe got good minutes in.
- We seemed to be less stagnant with our ball movement, but it wasn’t good either. Geelong on the other hand were sharp. My first instinct was that there’s plenty of work to do here although pre-season rust may have accounted for a few of the issues. Watch area for me.
- We seemed to get outnumbered at the contest a lot early which was very reminiscent of the SF. Did we correct that or did their intensity drop? Another watch area.

Only questions out of it were Mihocek (I assume precautionary, but you can never be sure) and whether we’re any closer to knowing who gets the nod out of Sier/ Brown/ Bianco for that last midfield spot assuming Adams gets up for Rd 1. Not sure about the ruck situation either other than a big no to Grundy forward of the ball. That was just yuck.

After a pretty hopeless first quarter, Collingwood would be pretty satisfied with that outing.
Grundy was looking good and Cameron did pretty well too.
After a few years of dominating ruck duels but losing clearances, is there a new strategy to take the ball and kick/play on, rather than tapping? It happened a lot.
That said, it looked a bit lean in the centre bounces with a lot of experience missing.
T Brown has added muscle and looks ready to take the next step
Sier got plenty of game time but didn't have any impact. His disposals are still rushed.
A few basic errors in the last 2 minutes cost the game. Just lacked a bit of composure.
Elliott's 3 from limited disposals was a good return.
Mihocek should have kicked 3 - missed two sitters on the line
Sidey played a decent second half after a poor first quarter
Henry played at both ends and didn't look lost. That's my main take from the day, plus Howe back and looking fine.
Murphy played at least a half for little impact.
We bombed it to the forwards and played into Geelong's hands. Henry led well to the ball, but only once did I notice players lower their eyes.
Best: Grundy, Noble, Quaynor, Sidebottom, Cameron, Elliott

Not too impressed by that, same old same old to me, some new faces but not going to go anywhere this year. I will admit I do want a new coach and game plan, look at the women’s team and their development under a new coach.
Anyway, I hope we go well and the young players develop into a promising group.

We have same Coaches so don't know why people think things will Change

We have same Coaches so don't know why people think things will Change
There's hope TD. In 2018 we suddenly came out and were playing a different style. 2019 we changed style again (s**t change). Our coaches are willing to change style - but jesus could they stop picking a style that is both as boring as batshit and ineffective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ability to get back into the game promising, but agree that same issues are there. Along with the game. Static man on the mark made the game look like a non-contact sport / netball, but did the required at getting the ball to move quicker. Rule disnt stop the Cats from clogging the backline though, which will be a problem for our game unless they create zones.

Cats looked too strong / big for us in contests (De Goey & Adams missed), and the amount of dropped marks and turnovers, plus some players looking too slow still frustrates. Standing 5m off the mark also a stupid habit that we havent rectified.

Greenwood twice tried to handball to Cats players 10 - 15m out from goal... which eventually led to Miers and a goal. Too slow and panicked with his lack of pace and poor decision. The ability to find an elite handball in congestion, to get out of trouble so important at this level now. Turnovers are crucified by all teams.
Roughead dropped marks and fumbled. Will be exposed this season.
Thomas kicked it straight to an opposition player twice in a 20 second passage. Head scratcher...
Madgen kick straight out of bounds, without pressure. Shouldnt happen at this level.
Bianco pushed off the ball a few times.

Dont care that it is a praccy match, old habits die hard, and players should train as they want to play, and care more when they stuff up. Players know they will never be dragged for indiscretions anymore (more reg season targeted comment), and laconic nature after errors to show some kind of 'strong mentality' or 'quick ability to move on' still annoys me.

On positive side, Grundy is back... best on for me. Crisp also v good, and Elliott... Sier deserves to start, and Henry impressed. Reads the play so much better than other players. T Brown also showed he belongs, whilst Daicos had a quiet day and gave away a stupid 50m penalty. Again, train as you expect to play.

Bit to work with there, but we are still a gun key back & forward short, along with our young mids needing to develop to give us a chance to threaten imo. Hurry up Macrae, Poulter, Reef and Mcmahon........... and hopefully Keane / Tohill

Great hit out. Plenty to like. Sier Tyler brown & Henry locked in for round 1.

Just quietly.. how good was that Henry mark in the first qrt.. kala.. that was beautiful to watch.. taste of things to come.
Lets also remember, not only first game at the high level, but also against an opposition in 12 months.

Surprised we didn't see much of most of our younger players. Murphy and Bianco got a half but were relatively quiet. Macrae, McCreery, Chugg, McIness, Poulter, McMahon, Rantall all absent for various reasons

Maybe the various reasons are that they arent in line for round one, and with a limited number practice matches we will concentrate mainly on the senior players playing in the seniors and the seconds playing in the seconds.

So next week we get all of DeGoey, Adams and Macrae back into the side?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

OK, I'm willing to admit I have Sier blinkers, but I really want the guy to succeed. What did so many see today that gives him a certain call up for R1? He played all his time in the middle did he not? He got a few touches, but if he's to be the player many here are predicting (and in the media) then he needs a huge upswing. I'm still a doubter.

So next week we get all of DeGoey, Adams and Macrae back into the side?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
unless they feel Tyler is ahead of Macrae at this point. They may focus the other draftees onto playing some VFL for the next few months.

A few things I took away from that:

- Noble, JT and Elliott were the guys that impressed beyond what I’d hoped to see from established guys. Everyone else was pretty much at or below their level with the guys below primarily because they set a high bar.
- My vibe on Henry was wrong. Kid can play and will be better than Stephenson as early as 2021.
- New man on the mark rule worked well.
- Howe got good minutes in.
- We seemed to be less stagnant with our ball movement, but it wasn’t good either. Geelong on the other hand were sharp. My first instinct was that there’s plenty of work to do here although pre-season rust may have accounted for a few of the issues. Watch area for me.
- We seemed to get outnumbered at the contest a lot early which was very reminiscent of the SF. Did we correct that or did their intensity drop? Another watch area.

Only questions out of it were Mihocek (I assume precautionary, but you can never be sure) and whether we’re any closer to knowing who gets the nod out of Sier/ Brown/ Bianco for that last midfield spot assuming Adams gets up for Rd 1. Not sure about the ruck situation either other than a big no to Grundy forward of the ball. That was just yuck.
Value your opinion probably the most on this board as it usually comes with very little bias towards any player, what stood out with JT? Barely seen him mentioned here, I did not watch the game.

Edit: I agree with you on the concern with the Henry pick at the time, his player type often gets drafted a bit later and leads to a Mason Wood type result, kudos to the club for making a ballsy pick imo

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back