Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Geelong (QF - Friday 06/09 7:50pm MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the 3ACL’s?

You made the point that you don’t know any other high draft pick that gets dropped so easily - clearly those other high draft picks have not had Shaz injuries. So he can’t be compared to those players.
Obviously the 3 ACLs have robbed Scharenberg of his irreplaceability. That's what I was kind of hinting at, that he is obviously no longer the player we thought we had drafted. Nevertheless, I am not so sure he should be omitted ahead of Noble. I can only accept that speed has been preferred to Scharenberg. I hope the selectors got his deselection right this time.

Shaz can hold his head high. He'd just about play against any other of the 6 teams in the top 8. Simply misses because of match ups.

And as others have said, this isn't Noble taking Shaz's spot or anything. This is Noble being suitable for Miers, Rohan or Dahlhaus. Shaz isn't suited for any of those three. For anyone struggling to see why Noble is in instead of Shaz, think about that.

Let's remove the Scharenberg vs Noble discussion for a second. I'm genuinely interested to know what gives us the impression that Noble is a capable enough defender to play on and negate the influence of any of Geelongs small/medium forwards? Has he played that role before at either AFL or VFL level? I think it's a really interesting decision. Well, interesting to me at least.

Let's remove the Scharenberg vs Noble discussion for a second. I'm genuinely interested to know what gives us the impression that Noble is a capable enough defender to play on and negate the influence of any of Geelongs small/medium forwards? Has he played that role before at either AFL or VFL level? I think it's a really interesting decision. Well, interesting to me at least.
It is an interesting question and one to which you can expect an answer tomorrow night.

Watching West Coast v Essendon, a player like Noble might be invaluable against one of the 3 small indigenous players carving up Essendon. But as you intimate, Noble has to have the ability to take on one of these guys and nullify him.

He’s played that role in every single game he’s played for the club so far in the VFL and AFL. He’s playing as a small back.

Last week he got moved on to Tippa and took him out of the game.

I think it’s purely based on pace and bad weather. Cats have a few more quick smalls. Just like how our forward line is small the Cats have left out Henderson.

If we were playing the Eagles of GWS I’d think Noble goes out for Schaz to cover talls.

When I posted my potential defensive lineup yesterday I formed it on the scenario Roughead would remain forward and Noble would be omitted.

At the end of the exercise I questioned myself whether we could really do without a Noble or Aish.

With us seemingly making the smart decision to return Roughead to defence it makes total sense when you look at the potential match ups that we've retained Noble and omitted both Scharenberg and Madgen.

It comes with a risk attached no doubt but trying to shoehorn a Scharenberg or Madgen into a role against a physically stronger key forward or far more nimble Geelong small would also be a risk.

I like the balance personally.

I may be wrong, but I'm not really sure how Noble fits the bill as a small defender. Surely pace isn't the only requirement.. He's not really a defender, is he?

I think the selection of Noble is a mistake but I certainly hope to be proved wrong. Strong lineup though.
Getting to the ball first when the ball spills, closing and speed and running out of defence are three handy attributes that come to mind, ala Wayne Harmes.

The committee has selected the best available side given tomorrow's opponents and the conditions.

I feel for Shaz, really do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You want the selectors to fill a valuable position in the 22 purely for the chance that Moore goes down? Insanity if you ask me.

You select Moore fully expecting him to play the whole game. If they don’t think he is going to, they don’t pick him. They don’t select a player purely for that scenario... we have a Prelim final to play for, which requires 22 blokes playing their role.

Have some trust in Moore & the coaches. I’d have certainly lost trust in both if we selected Magden / Shaz purely in case Moore breaks down.

I think it's important to have flexibility within the 22 so you can make in game adjustments. You don't make the decision based on a single player but you do it so you can switch things around if it isn't going to plan. I don't think we have any flexibility with our talls with this team so we're pretty much set for the night. That makes me nervous.

I don't know if a 'career at a crossroad' scenario is implied by the selection, but I do think Scharenberg's omission suggests that we have overrated him in this forum. He was a high first round draft pick who has been a seemingly important element in our defence, yet a mid season rookie and a large, slow, tackling midfielder have been preferred to him in the most important game to date this season.

Sure there may not seem to be an obvious match up for Shaz, but last time we omitted him we lost, and he was back in favour next week. I can't think of another highly touted top draft selection whose spot in a side has been so easily threatened. Scharenberg, despite his poise and dependability, obviously has some serious deficiencies in the minds of the selectors. Noble and Wills had better play well.

Or it's just horses for courses.

He’s played that role in every single game he’s played for the club so far in the VFL and AFL. He’s playing as a small back.

Last week he got moved on to Tippa and took him out of the game.

I'll have to defer to your wisdom on this one, as I've only really noticed him driving up a wing or down the middle and not really seen the shut down attributes. I guess we'll know a lot more tomorrow night.

I think it’s purely based on pace and bad weather. Cats have a few more quick smalls. Just like how our forward line is small the Cats have left out Henderson.

If we were playing the Eagles of GWS I’d think Noble goes out for Schaz to cover talls.

I think you're on the money and there's a bit of logic behind it. I'm just a little uneasy with the prospect of a 3 game player finding himself on a Rohan or Dahlhaus down back.

Tomorrow night can't come fast enough.

I've been wondering lately whether Scharenberg could ever have a future pinch hitting up forward?

He wouldn't obviously be able to fill the relief ruck role but if his footy smarts extend to forward craft could he make a go of it if a need arose?

His best physical footballing attribute is probably his ability to outpoint similar or small sized opponents regularly in a marking contest so the opposition would probably need to use a quality or key position sized opponent on him to try and negate this which can prove a positive for the rest of our forward options.

While he mightn't be an athletic beast if you believe in his football IQ then these players can generally find a way to become a nuisance to the opposition playing a role for the team.

Who's outraged? Questioning and slightly perplexed. Perhaps you are the one too prone to dramatic online statements and gestures.
I don’t think so. If you can be bothered, check the tape and see who resorted to personal posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back