Preview Rd 22: Changes/prematch discussion vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is why we'll never win a flag with him at the helm.

Not enough punishment for poor performance.
Exactly the point.

For everyone thinking that some extra high quality magnets will get us to the top 2 over the next 2 years - just remember Brad will still be coach - so we need to temper expectations even if we pick up all the magnets that are being spoken of.

Business as usual.....means leaving the same spuds in to do the same sh.t. Another day at the office boys and girls

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

What a joke of a coach we have - no wonder we have struggled to attract A grade players.

Most weeks we have the usual suspects going troppo about team selection but this week we are all united.
That’s got to tell you something - trade out scotts now

Hmm, I dunno. When I look at that 22 and the fact that he could still be taking them to finals I think maybe he does have a clue...
It's hilarious how fire and brimstone the reaction to selection is. Most posters view selection as a punitive exercise where players are made to suffer for their poor performances. Zero value given to maintaining team cohesion/development or allowing redemption or response to constructive criticism.

It's hilarious how fire and brimstone the reaction to selection is. Most posters view selection as a punitive exercise where players are made to suffer for their poor performances. Zero value given to maintaining team cohesion/development or allowing redemption or response to constructive criticism.
I would accept this point if it was made after one loss where we'd been playing well, but this is on the back of a second half of a season where we've all but squandered an excellent chance to play finals footy.

Not to mention that the exact policy you describe as been the case for most of Brad's tenure, in which we haven't had a single top 4 H&A season finish and he's statistically one of the least successful coaches of all time.

I would accept this point if it was made after one loss where we'd been playing well, but this is on the back of a second half of a season where we've all but squandered an excellent chance to play finals footy.

Not to mention that the exact policy you describe as been the case for most of Brad's tenure, in which we haven't had a single top 4 H&A season finish and he's statistically one of the least successful coaches of all time.
Listen, I'm as baffled as anyone by the Hrovat selection and would have loved to see LDU. The blow has been softened somewhat by the knowledge that heads would be exploding on here.....and sure enough Big Footy delivers yet again....

Brad doesn't use changes to motivate. Just not part of his mindset.
At least use it to reward others, and with 2 rounds left that dont mean anything bring in the youngsters fro the VFL to have a taste, LDU should be in after getting it almost 30 times, rest Goldy chuck in Preuss to see whats going on there, im really keen to see what Mckay has in him after watching his brother show abit elsewhere. But no he pulls Ahern and brings in ******* Hrovat who has done SFA all year.

If someone is down on there game for weeks they need to be dropped, u understand if he doesn't want to drop a player after just 1 game, but some of tme have been poor for weeks on in...he better start rotating soon or we might need to rotate him instead.

Cohesion, hey? Allowing redemption over a period of weeks / months? Response? What response? Are you talking about in terms of improved performance? When can we expect to see such response? Players including McDonald, Macmillan, Atley, Clarke and Thompson have delivered mediocrity at best over the past 4+ weeks.

So, what's the timeframe for us seeing the benefits of this cohesion of which you speak? Does it mean the players performing in the reserves are never a chance because their inclusion will break this cohesion? Similarly, how many weeks do you allow for redemption or responses to criticism?

Glad you get a kick out of people rightly expressing frustration at the ongoing refusal to address the problems. Hope you got a good laugh out of this post.

Either he is surrounded by ‘yes’ men or doesn’t want to listen
My mail says the latter.

Its second hand but I have reasonable faith in its authenticity.

I suppose MacDonalds s**t form all year warrants him to play all year with out being dropped. Clarke and Atkey like wise . Punitive it is not but s**t when a player/s have been Arse ring all year please give me a break . He is a soft utensil and by making some needed changes doesn’t stuff cohesion up .

For the BBB thread, and I am with everyone feeing a bit hollow about his week's changes, but it really irks me, this qualification that two top 4 finishes have no value because they weren't based on luckier H&A fixtures, instead of being earned through great finals wins. Brad Scott and this list have taken some really positive steps forward this season. Last week wasn't one, and this selection doesn't feel like one, but after a small grumble I'll hold my fire until after the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a joke of a coach we have - no wonder we have struggled to attract A grade players.

Most weeks we have the usual suspects going troppo about team selection but this week we are all united.
That’s got to tell you something - trade out scotts now

Is it the same out pouring on Facebook?

Twitter?

giantroo ???

For the BBB thread, and I am with everyone feeing a bit hollow about his week's changes, but it really irks me, this qualification that two top 4 finishes have no value because they weren't based on luckier H&A fixtures, instead of being earned through great finals wins. Brad Scott and this list have taken some really positive steps forward this season. Last week wasn't one, and this selection doesn't feel like one, but after a small grumble I'll hold my fire until after the game.
Yeah, I agree. Personally, I've mostly been delighted with Brad this season. It's inescapable, surely even for his harshest critics, that we were a team that were expected to finish dead last by all in Sunbury, and he's got us to a point where we're still in finals contention with two rounds to go. I mean, I think just about everyone here would have taken that, and then some, at the start of the season. Still, it's hard not to feel that the second half of the season is a disappointment and a missed opportunity.

You're right, it's probably for the BBB (what thread are we up to now? 9 or 10 ?) thread, but it's just a fact that he's one of the least statistical long-term coaches of all time. I take your point about the value of our top 4 finishes, and those achievements shouldn't be understated, but again, statisitically speaking it was all but impossible to win the flag in those years without finishing top 4 in the H&A season, and he's never given us that opportunity.

I was just making the point to kaboom kid that the selection justifications he outlined have been the case for all of the second half of this season and for all of Brad's tenure and depending on your definition of success, I suppose, it's never really worked, so why would it start now?

Cohesion, hey? Allowing redemption over a period of weeks / months? Response? What response? Are you talking about in terms of improved performance? When can we expect to see such response? Players including McDonald, Macmillan, Atley, Clarke and Thompson have delivered mediocrity at best over the past 4+ weeks.

So, what's the timeframe for us seeing the benefits of this cohesion of which you speak? Does it mean the players performing in the reserves are never a chance because their inclusion will break this cohesion? Similarly, how many weeks do you allow for redemption or responses to criticism?

Glad you get a kick out of people rightly expressing frustration at the ongoing refusal to address the problems. Hope you got a good laugh out of this post.
As I said, I would have liked to have seen LDU selected instead of Hrovat. And also would like to have seen LMac dropped well before this week. Just feel some sense of perspective and long term outlook is needed. It was a narrow loss against a side that regularly expose our deficiencies well. Things are never as bad as you think they after a loss and never as good as you think they are after a win. Overall it's been a fabulous year and we have defied the
critics and really progressed as a team. I'm sorry if I have annoyed you, just aiming to provide an alternative to the fire and brimstone brigade and see the humorous side of a frustrating situation. Besides, don't you want someone to argue with? There's plenty of posters that support your point of view.

As I said, I would have liked to have seen LDU selected instead of Hrovat. And also would like to have seen LMac dropped well before this week. Just feel some sense of perspective and long term outlook is needed. It was a narrow loss against a side that regularly expose our deficiencies well. Things are never as bad as you think they after a loss and never as good as you think they are after a win. Overall it's been a fabulous year and we have defied the
critics and really progressed as a team. I'm sorry if I have annoyed you, just aiming to provide an alternative to the fire and brimstone brigade and see the humorous side of a frustrating situation. Besides, don't you want someone to argue with? There's plenty of posters that support your point of view.

As a bigger supporter I have been of Scotts your timing is average on this.

Insipid response to performances that were disgraceful and a waste of $$$ effort and time for those of us that went from all over last Sunday

As I am ******ed when it comes to these platforms are you able to post some examples?
"Hrovat gets dropped, doesn't even play in the VFL last week and then comes back in. What did he do to earn his spot back?"

Poor decisions! Midfielder goes out for slow small forward! Yet our mids get slaughtered last week!

Dropping Ahern? Do you not even want to try and make finals North?

The tank has begun

I feel sorry for LDU, if he had been drafted by any other team he would be contending for the rising star. But unfortunately brad Scott will ruin his development

What kind of piss weak change is that? How does Luke McDonald survive again? Has been awful most of the season.

Clarke and McDonald still in? The midfield was killed last week too. Typical Scott move to make no move.

Hrovat and Clark in they really don’t want to make finals

How does Atley keep getting games,worst 150 gamer in the afl & wouldn't get a game at most other teams,please trade him

"Hrovat gets dropped, doesn't even play in the VFL last week and then comes back in. What did he do to earn his spot back?"

Poor decisions! Midfielder goes out for slow small forward! Yet our mids get slaughtered last week!

Dropping Ahern? Do you not even want to try and make finals North?

The tank has begun

I feel sorry for LDU, if he had been drafted by any other team he would be contending for the rising star. But unfortunately brad Scott will ruin his development

What kind of piss weak change is that? How does Luke McDonald survive again? Has been awful most of the season.

Clarke and McDonald still in? The midfield was killed last week too. Typical Scott move to make no move.

Hrovat and Clark in they really don’t want to make finals

How does Atley keep getting games,worst 150 gamer in the afl & wouldn't get a game at most other teams,please trade him

Ok thanks

Can you go down to Flinders St now and do some Vox pop with your camera with the people in the street for some more thoughts?

Ok thanks

Can you go down to Flinders St now and do some Vox pop with your camera with the people in the street for some more thoughts?
Similar to Arsenal Fan TV?
f7696dd25acb463be2b60dbf0ece8919.png

Fair points. I remain largely ambivalent on Brad but just feel he isn't as bad as many make out. He inherited a poor list and had to navigate a period when the advantage of our lower finishes was negated by compromised drafts plus the club was on its knees in 2007. I was at the game on Sunday and left as frustrated as all the other North supporters. However, ar the end if the day, it was a narrow loss not a 100 point humiliation. I believe the team has really progressed this year and we have done many things well. The wins against Hawthorn and the Swans were brilliant. Jacob's has clearly been a massive loss for us, totally transforms our midfield. With a good draft and trade period I think we will kick on next year.

We're probably not far away in our views on team composition, but I think we're a fair way apart in terms of our perception of the level of humour that the current situation brings.

Here's the problem: because we have a small chance of making the finals by winning in Adelaide, Brad has pulled the ultra-conservative selection approach, seemingly based on the view that Thompson (hampered), McDonald, Atley and Hrovat are less likely to crack under the pressure that this scenario brings.

And if this is indeed the basis of this week's selections, it's fallacious to the point of being braindead. Mckay or Nielson would be more than adequate replacements for Thompson. LDU and Mountford could come in and play like s**t and we still wouldn't be worse off than playing LMac and Atley or Hrovat.

This is what I'm upset about - gutless / clueless selection policy. It's simmered along for weeks now and the latest insult is not taking any action in response to the pathetic effort last week, which itself followed weeks of pathetic efforts from a number of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back