Prediction Round 8: Changes Vs Hawks + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the Crows game and Treacy plays like Fogarty. Obviously Treacy is not as good, but who knows if he can reach a similar level? That brutish player is something we lack. And it took Fogarty until halfway through his 5th year for it to start to click. He is 3 years older than Treacy and his first 2 years were somewhat similar to Treacy's. Treacy actually had a better 1st year, then they barely played 2nd year, and a large part of that for Treacy was due to glandular fever. Fogarty played 10 games and kicked 8 goals in the year that Treacy is in now.

Walker + Thilthorp + Fogarty is their superior version of Amiss + Jackson + Treacy. Our guys can't produce that level now, but it's the structure that is important. If only Jackson could clunk marks like Thilthorpe.

Good post above. The crows forward line have all just come together with some ruthless trading (Rankine) smart drafting (Rachelle) and being a bit lucky that guys have finally reached their peak at the right time (Fogarty and Thilthorp).
They had a s**t forward line only 2/3 years ago, so it's proof that any team in the comp can turn it around if they make the right decisions. We really need Treacy playing every week to get games into him, it friggen irritates me that he's not getting picked.

Last edited:

Fyfe to be sub. I would prefer Sturt to stay in but I doubt that will happen
I don't have anything against Sturt, and would very much like to see him do well, but Fyfe coming back can only be a good thing. He was looking set to perform in the forward 50 before this latest injury. His Rd1 was poor, no doubt, but we know now that was very likely his plantar thingy preventing him from competing.

I'm not ready to call it a failed experiment or whatever on the basis of that one round (and the fact that our mids have been dire for pretty much all 7 so far), and I think the timing is perfect for properly assessing how our forward line can function with a fully fit and committed Fyfe as FF (or better yet, rotating FF and HHF). Love Tabs, but it's probably for the best if we get a Tabs-free look at Fyfe at FF. Mids have had 7 rounds of looking to hit up Jackson and (less frequently) Amiss, but they all know who Fyfe is, so hopefully we'll see some genuine options in terms of F50 targets, rather than constantly popping it on the head of the tallest one. We've been crying out for someone who can take the get out of jail mark. Everyone seems to have written the season off and wants to "play the kids" anyway, so it's not like we're risking anything.

Fyfe as sub to get him back in the side, and let's see how it goes over the next few weeks.

With Fyfe a test and sounding like Freddy is will play I'm going to go with:

Out: Sturt, Johnson, Banfield
In: Freddy, Erasmus, Corbett

Fyfe to be sub. I would prefer Sturt to stay in but I doubt that will happen
There is no way Sturt is dropped, idc if he was subbed out. On output alone you would drop Banners.

I'm a fan of Worner's but I don't think he's ready and we really need to win this one. Worner needs to improve his contested work and his disposal is too inconsistent ATM.

I also don't think Schultz should be dropped after just one poor game. The others I like. If Banfield gets dropped, he'll be sub you can count on it.
Agree with you on Shooter he has been in good form all year and provided some bite when talls are not getting the ball consistently to the ground - all small forwards have quiet days - no way you can drop him.

Looking at Saturdays Peel game Worners contested work was superior to many other backman/wingman winning a couple of important one on ones's to be awarded the free kick or get a handball away. He nailed most kicks except one, but when you are getting that many kicks no one is going at 100 % - He often breaks up play with a short 25 metre kick that opens up the field ahead something we lack at Freo (going forward not sideways) Maybe takes the corridor too much but hey we need a little dare. Davies far shakier with ball in hand but only 4 games in, I can see his game also coming on but a good season away.

Seeing as it's 10 years on from the 2013 GF i wonder if the club will organise a reunion of the lads who played that day for a corporate box or something for the match.

Or is that too embarrassing.

I know we lost but still it's the first and only Freo side to play in a GF.

Who knows when we might get there again at this rate.

Seeing as it's 10 years on from the 2013 GF i wonder if the club will organise a reunion of the lads who played that day for a corporate box or something for the match.

Or is that too embarrassing.

I know we lost but still it's the first and only Freo side to play in a GF.

Who knows when we might get there again at this rate.
nah embarrassing. how sad is it that all we've achieved is one gf loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if we want to try anything different, this is the week to do it. At home against a team that is running as bad as we are.

Lets start by using that hybrid unicorn in a manner that is befitting of either of those description; Jackson to the wing. Provides opportunity for him to be a marking target and to give a second effort when the ball comes to ground.

Get the ball into the hands of Young, Clark and Walker (and Worner) with a license to take the game on coming out of the backline.

Seb in for Sturt (Very unlikely but i can dream) otherwise Corbett in.
Worner in for Hughes
Ras in for Johnson
Emmett in for Banfield

Fyfe to sub if he is fit, otherwise Wilson.

Give Freddy another weeks rest to get his body right.

Last edited:
Corbett showed lots of marking prowess in his 1 qtr he played! What are we doing? What is he doing wrong? His conversion rate was good at GC.

Sturt deserves another go.

I would make Fyfe sub.

Funny to see people trying to rush Fyfe back in when last year they were probably saying he was destroying the midfield synergy.

With that said not sure if rushing him back under done is way to go. If he does have good game and his body doesn't hold up for the following week how does that build on the chemistry

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills right now. Treacy has looked mediocre at best for Peel. He looks OK when he pushes up the ground as a 2nd ruck but inside 50 he's been putrid IMO.

You gotta remember the kid is only 20 ... Needs the experience to help build his confidence.

Dropping Sturt would almost kill this game for me tbh. Some people just can't see talent I guess
Agreed. Another player who needs to be thrown in the deep end. Keep the pressure on him. "Sink or swim" is one of the best methods of development. It's obvious we arnt a contender. Time to experiment and evolve.

From JL the feel seams he feels the big problem is the team not following the game plan/style and executing well enough.
You dont get that right by dropping out players for people further away from understanding/performing that game plan in synch with the current team.
Do i like the game plan? Im not skilled enough comment but JL is at a crossroads right now, does he continue and have faith or does he rethink the whole thing and start again.
From the outside freo may seam to have got a bit cocky and self righteous with the loss/move of players/coaches not in their mindset etc.
We will see if the new age golden boys only mentality in the cub at the expense of performance works. If you look at the Richmonds, Collingwoods or even the Geelongs of the comp you dont have to be virtuous to win a flag.

Anyway ramble aside changes will most probably be.
in: Fyfe, Erasmus, Wilson, Freddy sub.
out: Wagner, Johnson, Corbet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back