Prediction Round 17: Changes Vs Hawks + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we are all justifiably spewing about last week's loss to Carlton, we did a lot right. Won pretty much every stat except the one that matters even after sleeping through the first quarter.

So I am happy the selection committee has kept the changes to a minimum this week. We don't need wholesale changes we need to settle the team and work on eliminating the bad starts and poor goal kicking. Good teams are the ones who are stable, not the ones making lots of changes - see how changing 4 - 5 players a week has helped West Coast.

I am happy we keep a solid core each week with one or two changes to cover injuries and reward players who force their way in on form. Bailey was a surprise to me, but he was playing some really good footy as a medium forward at Peel and he will certainly harden us up a bit.

I'm pretty happy, let's just see if it starts to click this week.

Carr is escaping a lot of heat on here for now. I wonder how long his honeymoon lasts.
He has to carry at least some of the can for our midfield's defensive frailties.

Listening to him on OBYB was pretty amusing, but he wasn't coming across as a tactical genius so much a boofhead.

Listening to him on OBYB was pretty amusing, but he wasn't coming across as a tactical genius so much a boofhead.

Nah that's harsh. Old Bull Young Buck is a fun podcast, and hearing about Josh Carr's childhood footy and Port/Dockers playing days was terrific. If you were expecting him to get into the inner workings of his current coaching strategies then more fool you. That stuff is private for obvious reasons.

Nah that's harsh. Old Bull Young Buck is a fun podcast, and hearing about Josh Carr's childhood footy and Port/Dockers playing days was terrific. If you were expecting him to get into the inner workings of his current coaching strategies then more fool you. That stuff is private for obvious reasons.
Didn't bring up enjoying playing chess once... strategic dud clearly

Okay do me a favour and rewatch the Carlton game. Can you honestly say that our team deserves to play finals?

Although bad kicking is bad footy, we did smash them for most of the game, and you can pose that question to other teams around us; do the eagles deserve to play finals after 2 100 point losses? Do richmond after their past fortnight? Do Giants after what we did to them in round 2?

It's a long season and we just have to keep improving. Given we play the Eagles, Sydney, Richmond, Geelong and StK, if we make it into the 8 we will be more than deserving of it

Although bad kicking is bad footy, we did smash them for most of the game, and you can pose that question to other teams around us; do the eagles deserve to play finals after 2 100 point losses? Do richmond after their past fortnight? Do Giants after what we did to them in round 2?

It's a long season and we just have to keep improving. Given we play the Eagles, Sydney, Richmond, Geelong and StK, if we make it into the 8 we will be more than deserving of it
That's the thing though, you can smash teams all you want but if you can't kick you don't win. There is a reason you will never see the least accurate team in the comp playing finals.

McEvoy Jeka and Kossie forward should have you stretched with Pearce Logue and probably Ryan.

Hartigan should use his size v Lobb and Frost and Treacy with the more mobility and a bit of mongrel. DGB third tall intercepting

Moore and Brockman with Breust will be good not sure on who plays on them for Freo care to help?

Its often said we play 7 defenders. There's probably no lockdown defender other than the 2 keys, but there's a bit of rebound your defenders will have to stop with Wilson, Walker, Aish and Tucker.

Ryan probably zones off - depends how the ball comes in and how often you can keep your 2nd ruck up forward - and I guess it also depends who dominates the rucks - if Darcy can dominate Ceglar it might mean more rucking for McEvoy. (Don't know whether you think Ceglar is as much of a threat inside forward 50m as McEvoy might be).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bewley gets a reprieve for that tackle he missed.
Cracked Ribs, poor bugger. Was surprised when that tanker went right past him, he's normally an ok tackler

Saw him cop a hard knock, maybe in the 3rd Q? and thought then he might have to come off.

Might have been early in the 2nd quarter. It was in our defensive 50 when he down was on his knees with his head close to the ground (in TV context it was when Carlton were kicking to goal right of screen). Watching it at the time as play kept going and the ball only shifted about 10 metres along, I was thinking that we were already a long way down on the scoreboard and could afford to give up another goal by playing with a man short.

I guess they didn't diagnose Bewley's injury as cracked ribs (as mentioned above), and he wanted to play through it. Could have used the sub as Crowden was good value when he came on against the Pies.

He has to carry at least some of the can for our midfield's defensive frailties.

Clarkson didn't exactly look like a footy Einstein when was running around shirtless.

Didnt he take North Adelaide from last in 2017 to Premiers in 2018?
Yes he did. Keep in mind in 2017, the year before North Adelaide won the flag had 4 wins and 14 losses. But it was a close season. The 5th placed sides had 8 wins and 10 losses..

North won the flag in 2018. But finished bottom 2 in 2019 and made the. Grand final In 2020.

Its often said we play 7 defenders. There's probably no lockdown defender other than the 2 keys, but there's a bit of rebound your defenders will have to stop with Wilson, Walker, Aish and Tucker.

Ryan probably zones off - depends how the ball comes in and how often you can keep your 2nd ruck up forward - and I guess it also depends who dominates the rucks - if Darcy can dominate Ceglar it might mean more rucking for McEvoy. (Don't know whether you think Ceglar is as much of a threat inside forward 50m as McEvoy might be).
I thought the 7 defenders went with Lyon and the 6-6-6 rule.

I thought the 7 defenders went with Lyon and the 6-6-6 rule.

Don't know. Players have said it under both Lyon and Longmuir. Obviously can't set up like that at centre bounces. Perhaps now all it means is that we have a 7th defender rotation on the bench.

So your both happy with Blakely taking up space? Seems to be doing will when b22 gets injured otherwise the bloke is a fu**in bust
I think you might have forgotten to change accounts friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back